I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Opinions on which capacitor is better?????

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
noahnoah is an unknown quantity at this point
Opinions on which capacitor is better?????

I need a capacitor/lightning cap for my system and I need help deciding on which one to buy. I'm looking at either a Power Acoustik 2.4 Farad Digital Capacitor or Lightning Audio LS10
Strike Series 1-Farad Capacitor. If anyone knows anything about capacitors please help. I would assume the large Farad would be better but I don't know why just seems that it would be. Last question, how are these usually mounted and kept stable?
Old 07-02-2002
Registered!!

GoCivicRacerGo is an unknown quantity at this point
2.4 farads is a lot of power, what amps are you going to be using? You might only need a 1 farad cap. Some metal straps could be used to secure the caps in place.
Old 07-03-2002
Registered!!

Civey is an unknown quantity at this point
whew, a power boy. i like it. sounds kinky
Old 07-03-2002
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mohawkboom is an unknown quantity at this point
the Lightnign audio Strike cap woud be the bettrer choice.. less power to charge when is discharged..and a lower ESR...
Old 07-03-2002
Registered!!

WhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of light
the best cap is none at all. it keeps out that uneccesary strain on your E-system.
Old 07-03-2002
Registered!!

None, my lights are dimming just a tad, should I get a capacitor or should I just go about my business and let my lights dim? I thought an capacitor would be a good idea to take some of the strain off of my battery and alternator? Am I wrong? What are you referring to when you say E-system. Electrical?
Old 07-03-2002
Registered!!

Hi Noah,

I Cap doesn't take any strain off your electrical system..it just keeps voltage a little more stable. If your lights are dimming just slightly and it's annoying you. a 1 farad cap will take care of the problem.

Cheers
Mohawk
Old 07-03-2002
Registered!!

badcivic2002 is an unknown quantity at this point
You guys and gals can call it over kill but I got a Lightning audio 1.0 and an optima red top and NO dimming at all on an 800 watt amp
Old 07-03-2002
Registered!!

WhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of light
[hr]Originally posted by: mohawkboom
I Cap doesn't take any strain off your electrical system..[hr]
I think you both misunderstood me. a capacitor ITSELF is a strain on your electical system! sure it can provide that microsecond of current for at least part of that bass note, but what then? your amp still needs current, its still playing bass nots, or has moved on to teh next one, where is the cap? recharging. and its recharging using power that your amp could be using now.

a capacitor is just a bandaid. if your not gonna upgrade yoru alternator, its not worth the money for a cap.

again, am i the only person who doesnt care about dimming? and if you DO care about dimming, why stick a bandaid over the problem? if your gonna fix it, why not solve the problem at the source?
Old 07-03-2002
Registered!!

Band-aid= $99 Proper cure=$600+ hmm... ALso it's not a bif strain in the least bit on an electrical system..fo an SPL system where every incling of current matters..it's a NoNo..in an every day system for someone who doesn;t want dimming..it's a oerfect solution..
Old 07-03-2002
Registered!!

even another battery is a strain on teh E-system.

anytime you add something that draws power, you are straining your E-system.

you cant argue that a capacitor has enough power to power yoru amp for a bass hit, and yet not draw the current from the alternator to provide.

and besides, you can get alternators or alternator rewraps for $300. the rewrap is fine as long as you get a warrantee with it......

Hell, there is a shop in san ho that will do it, all you have to do is bring your alternator to them in a shoebox, they will take care of you.
Old 07-03-2002
Registered!!

rewinds on our medium case uncolled mitsubishi alternators can yield a reliable 90amps..or a sletchy 120amps(alt will run VERY HOT)..a can is a strain in the decivolt range so it's not a biggie.. Unless a person listens to speedmetal and the like where the bass and double kickdrums are non-stop..a cap does it's job...[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 07-04-2002
Registered!!

well, if he doesnt care about fixing the problem, i guess he is set then
Old 07-04-2002
Registered!!

Not everyone's like us and will go to great lengths to solve the problem completely and not just cover it up. While covering it up with a cap in this case is the cheapest and most practicle solution..it will work for him. We both run 1/0 Guage wire when 4 guage is plenty..I have a 160amp alternator, My cars about 120lbs heavier with sound deadening mat..sound absorbing foam, and great stuff minimal expanding foam...your glassing your trunk....most folks don't want to go to such great lengths...some say we're nucking futs...we say their nucking futs for not going through such great lengths for the proper solutions....C'est la vie
Old 07-04-2002
Registered!!

im glassing my trunk cause tere is no way to fit a box bigger than net 6 cubes in a civic coupe. its actually the ONLY solution to that problem.

just like the ONLY solution to the problem of inadequate current supply is a new alternator.....
Old 07-04-2002
Registered!!

[hr]Originally posted by: WhiteRabbit

im glassing my trunk cause tere is no way to fit a box bigger than net 6 cubes in a civic coupe. its actually the ONLY solution to that problem.

just like the ONLY solution to the problem of inadequate current supply is a new alternator.....[hr]
You with your ONLY's me with my NEEDS lol..the PROPER solution is a new alt..... a feasable and cheap cure for the symptoms is a cap...it won't eliminate the problem(which there isn't as current draw shouldn't be too high in his system) It will cure the symptoms... It's like have a sore back. Would you take robaxaset...or spend $90 and go to a chiropractor every time yourr back hurts from being twisted into a pretzel all day from working on your car?
Old 07-04-2002
Registered!!

actually, you will find that i am right, and that it IS the ONLY solution. tell me another way to fit a 12 cube box in my civic.

and in teh same way, dimming lights is indicative of a problem. the problem if inadequate current supply. and the only way to fix THAT problem is a new alternator. caps and batteries are only a bandaid, and can strain the alternator much worse than teh amp alone.

like a bandpass box. they sound clean right? cause the distorted frequencies dont come out of the port? sounds like a good solution to distorted bass.........

untill you overstrees the sub and get either thermal or mechanical failure.........

a bunch of caps and batteries will only further stress you E system...tho you may not notice it....till your alternator goes out, or fails and starts sending spikes through the E-system...... if yoru voltage regulators also fail at that time, it wouldnt be to safe to be the ECU at that time..... has anyones ECU ever fail here, and the shop blamed the alternator? ......hmmm.......
Old 07-04-2002
Registered!!

Your absolutely right for systems with more current draw than the alternator can put out.. however the change from say 13.8 volts to 12.2 volts for a bass hit which causes minor dimming is not a problem if theaverage voltage level remains over 12.8 volts..which in this case it definately should. There is not real inadequecy of his electrical system. As it will still leave the battery charging. Therefore a preventative to annoyance (dimming) would b a reasonable solution used only to prevent annoyance (dimming)... also...do you still hold true that a 70amp OEM Alternator is safe to run any wattage of a system?
Old 07-04-2002
Registered!!

i never said any, but yes, my stock alternator and bettery will do me just fine when i hook up my 1200.1 with a 2 ohm load.......

even for 5 hour car drives........
Old 07-04-2002
Registered!!

While cranked very loudly with no headlight Dimming [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 07-04-2002
Registered!!

like i said, the dimming doesnt bother me.

when it starts to audible affect sound, then it bugs me.

I dont have problems like dead batteries and fried computers when im on teh road. and i predict that trend will continue when i get my box built by august.
Old 07-05-2002
Registered!!

Hey guys thanks for the help. I do like to "SOLVE" problems and not just cover them up. I run 1/0 gauge like you guys said where you can get away with 4-gauge. I run 4 gauge where you could get away with 8. So the dimming lights alone, no audio deficiencies or none that are noticeable will be O.K.? Will the dimming lights eventually do something else catastrophic or should this be the only thing that should happen? I don't mind the dimming that much I'm really worried about what the dimming might do in the long run like kill my alternator or whatever.
Old 07-05-2002
Registered!!

Slight dimming won't do much to your electrical system..your lights dim when the A/C Clutch engages..your lights dim sightly when you use power windows(if you have em, unlike me) it's just a temporary voltage drop..most likely not even dropping below 12 volts at any time.. it's nothing to worry about if it doesn't annoy you..as long as your not dimming with EVERY bass hit..you'll be allright.
Old 07-21-2002
Registered!!

SpitakHye is an unknown quantity at this point
A CAPACITOR will do your job. true, it might not be better than getting a new alternator, but also TRU that it IS better than nothing. the capacitor can store some power so that when your amp asks for it, it will be there.. so just go with the $100 capacitor.capacitors are great and are used in elmost everything electronic that requires power. How else do you think a 1.5 volt battery can light up the flash of a camera?? with the freaking CAPACITOR. and if you get the capacitor, be SUREEE to wire it in PARALLEL and NOT in SERIES.
Old 07-21-2002
Registered!!

/me rolls his eyes