I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Battery drain in a week

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
310civicEX is an unknown quantity at this point
Battery drain in a week

I've been Interneting and saw two things...
defroster or ac compressor selonoid...anyone have good info on these components. .like how to check them ? This issue has really caused me to drag my feet on registering the car.
Old 01-08-2019
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Re: Battery drain in a week

check for voltage drop on all the fuses with the car off and "asleep"
if you see significant voltage drop across a fuse then the circuit is still active
Old 01-08-2019
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

Originally Posted by 310civicEX
I've been Interneting and saw two things...
defroster or ac compressor selonoid...
It would be pretty trivial to unplug the compressor and defroster..

What makes you sure it’s not a bad battery?
Old 01-08-2019
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Slumpertcivic

It would be pretty trivial to unplug the compressor and defroster..

What makes you sure it’s not a bad battery?
It's a new battery.. $120 ..same drain.
Old 01-08-2019
Registered!!

Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

Maybe the PO hotwired the fuelpump because it was wrong ECU for the keys...

So many options and a simple solution. Put your meter in amp mode, put it between battery and negative cable pull fuses until you see the current drop.

Until then, it literally could be any circuit.
Old 01-08-2019
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

If a relay stuck on, whatever item it controls would be on as well.
i.e. compressor clutch would be engaged all the time, or rear defrost grid would be warm all the time. I expect either of those particular relays failing (stuck on) would drain a battery overnight though, not take a week.

Trunk light stuck on? Fold rear seat down to see it with the trunk lid closed.

Any odd other obvious electrical gremilns that just don't seem right?
Anything aftermarket wired in? Alarm, remote start, that sort of thing?

Measure actual amperage draw with car shut off and doors closed as though it is parked. Draw is expected to be under 30 milliamps when all is well with the car.
Old 01-08-2019
Registered!!

I got a couple multimeters incase I got the wrong type...it's like trying to read Russian I don't know the first thing with these..I gotta learn how to use the f'r first..lol.. brake & light adjustment tomarrow.. I hope it doesn't cost over 150.. 99 for inspection.. headlight adjustment extra.
Old 01-09-2019
Registered!!

Originally Posted by 310civicEX
headlight adjustment extra.
Saying your going to pay for a headlight adjustment on this forum is just soo wrong...

Course, around here seems more than half the cars drive around with their high beams on anyways. Suppose that’s cheaper than buying a new bulb when they burn out lows.
Old 01-09-2019
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

meanwhile, always good to have one of these

cobra jumpack is what i have

https://www.amazon.com/Cobra-JumPackXL-CPP12000-Portable-Starter/dp/B01FVPB3Q8/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1547068322&sr=8-4&keywords=cobra+battery https://www.amazon.com/Cobra-JumPackXL-CPP12000-Portable-Starter/dp/B01FVPB3Q8/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1547068322&sr=8-4&keywords=cobra+battery