I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Cigarette Lighter Fuse on With Car Starter

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S2G-Unit is an unknown quantity at this point
Cigarette Lighter Fuse on With Car Starter

I had a car starter installed in my dad's 2003 Civic 4 door last year. Earlier this year I ordered a cheap cigarette lighter seat heater to use in this car.

Currently, my rear defrost goes on as soon as my car is started by my remote starter. I purchased a female cigarette lighter adapter and now I'd like to have the additional female cigarette lighter adapter go on as soon as my car is remote started, so I my cheap seat heater will also be warm.

I haven't done anything electrical on this car, so not sure where to start. On my NSX, there were additional power tabs under the dash. Not sure if this car some & if any of them will actually get power with the remote starter and no key in the ignition?

Thanks,
Old 11-08-2018
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: Cigarette Lighter Fuse on With Car Starter

Do you have volt meter or test light?

This is is a good source the12volt.com One of the ignition wires will be hot once started and stay hot until the car is turned off.

Some remote starters have auxiliary outputs that you can program to do extra tasks. Maybe yours could do this with an added relay.
Old 11-08-2018
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

The 12V ACC/Lighter socket should power, once the car is started....
Old 11-08-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

I know on my 05 the radio (aftermarket) stays off until I put the key in and turn it which is nice, I'll check if the 12V socket is on or not
Old 11-08-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by GolNat
Do you have volt meter or test light?

This is is a good source the12volt.com One of the ignition wires will be hot once started and stay hot until the car is turned off.

Some remote starters have auxiliary outputs that you can program to do extra tasks. Maybe yours could do this with an added relay.
Yes I have both of those.

Any diagrams or links to find those wires? I don't have a service manual for this car.
Old 11-08-2018

Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

should be a link in this thread for a pdf of the service manual

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...pdated-10.html
Old 11-08-2018
Registered!!

So I downloaded the service manual & have been looking at the pages around 2080ish. I really don't understand this stuff. So not sure where the wire/fuse I would need is physically in the car and in the service manual diagrams.

I'm really not good with this stuff, so I'll take more advice.
Old 11-08-2018

Have you checked if the 12 volt socket has power when you use the remote start?
Mine doesn't but your car may be different.
If you look at 2066 and 2067 in that pdf manual you'll see the there are 2 optional connectors 26 and 27, you could check if they are hot with the car remote started.
I have the power for my fog lights plugged into one of those connectors, it gives me switched +12V so that if the car is off the lights won't stay on.
Or you can tap in to the ignition switch harness for +12 when running. Just use a test light or meter to figure it out
Or you can check the remote start manual and see what options that has.

But realistically, the seat heater takes maybe 2 min to get warm?
And the car will have already been running for a few mins so it will be warmer in the car when he gets in.
Personally I would just get in and start driving and in less than 2 mins the seat heater will be warm.
If you're not good with electrical/wiring this is probably your best option
Old 11-08-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Colin42
Have you checked if the 12 volt socket has power when you use the remote start?
Mine doesn't but your car may be different.
If you look at 2066 and 2067 in that pdf manual you'll see the there are 2 optional connectors 26 and 27, you could check if they are hot with the car remote started.
I have the power for my fog lights plugged into one of those connectors, it gives me switched +12V so that if the car is off the lights won't stay on.
Or you can tap in to the ignition switch harness for +12 when running. Just use a test light or meter to figure it out
Or you can check the remote start manual and see what options that has.

But realistically, the seat heater takes maybe 2 min to get warm?
And the car will have already been running for a few mins so it will be warmer in the car when he gets in.
Personally I would just get in and start driving and in less than 2 mins the seat heater will be warm.
If you're not good with electrical/wiring this is probably your best option
Cigarette lighter doesn't have power when the car is started by a remote starter.

I'll have a look at those pages. You know the weather we have in Canada (Montreal) and my black *** doesn't like a cold seat even if it takes a few minutes to get warm....lol

Thanks I'll take a look.
Old 11-08-2018

Originally Posted by S2G-Unit
You know the weather we have in Canada (Montreal) and my black *** doesn't like a cold seat even if it takes a few minutes to get warm....lol
Understood

Old 11-08-2018
Registered!!

Haha!
Old 11-08-2018
Super Moderator

Received 1,849 Likes on 1,301 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

I think the easiest solution here would be to move South until a seat warmer is no longer needed.
Old 11-08-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Stock lighter socket is powered on the ACCY (accessory) circuit, and most remote start kits only power up enough IGN circuits (1 and/or 2) to run the engine and its electronics (depends on the installer though, some are far smarter than others).

Simply connect your new lighter socket #2 to one of the IGN circuits that the remote start is powering to run the engine, that will make it powered when the remote start is in use and still be powered whenever the key in in the run position. (but not accy position)

Beware of cheapo seat heaters. I had one (came out of a used car trade in) and it lasted about 2 years in my car (no idea how old it was when I got it).....then it became a freekin toaster and burned itself, MY ***, and left melted plastic stuck to my seat fabric in a few places-----I smelled acrid plastic smoke while driving along and pulled the plug, then a short while later I discovered the actual damage.
Old 11-09-2018
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ezone
Beware of cheapo seat heaters. I had one (came out of a used car trade in) and it lasted about 2 years in my car (no idea how old it was when I got it).....then it became a freekin toaster and burned itself, MY ***, and left melted plastic stuck to my seat fabric in a few places-----I smelled acrid plastic smoke while driving along and pulled the plug, then a short while later I discovered the actual damage.
Yikes! I have one and always wondered when I might get tasered in the a$$ if it ever crapped out.

Old 11-09-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NDNV
Yikes! I have one and always wondered when I might get tasered in the a$$ if it ever crapped out.
I suggest a bath towel between seat and heater