I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

04 LX radio harness layout question

Old 09-10-2018
Maint Tech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fredo_p is an unknown quantity at this point
04 LX radio harness layout question

I bit the bullet and bought the Pioneer AVH-W4400NEX with ready harness from Crutchfield. It's been a while since I did a radio install so I was a bit rusty. This was also my first double din. I went and got a MicroBypass for the brake bypass.

SO...

I managed to solder the Microbypass to the brake wire (green), ground wire (black), and amp wire (blue/white unit side). All went well until I realized that the ready harness that I bought had the blue/white spliced onto a blue and connected to nothing on the car side. Forgetting what each wire was I panicked, assumed Crutch screwed up, and removed the pin and placed it into the only one that didn't have a wire......The red aka Dimmer. Emailed both MicroBypass and Crutch and was called an idiot (at least I know they did when reading my email). Microbypass corrected my reverse thinking in that the blue/white sends the 12V out not receives it and Crutch sent me the harness diagram. This is where I got a bit lost.

I emailed them back with a "my bad I'm a dumbass" reply (never letting Crutch know I did the bypass). The blue pin is back where it belongs and the bypass works.
Spoiler

However, when I look at the diagram, I see that the car side harness pin#10 POWER ANTENNA has a missing wire (yellow/green).
Spoiler

Does this mean my 4dr LX doesn't need the ant. booster? And where, exactly, is the booster located if I wanted to see if I had one?

Also, the diagram that Crutchfield gave me matched 99% of how my car harness looks with the exception of two wires. Can someone explain this to me?

PIN #1 CONSTANT 12 V WHITE/RED
PIN #14 RIGHT FRONT SPKR- GREY/RED

but the harness has it reversed. Or am I misinterpreting what that grey dash is on pin #1 ?
Spoiler

Old 09-10-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 04 LX radio harness layout question

Does this mean my 4dr LX doesn't need the ant. booster?
According to my diagrams, sedan did not have an antenna amp. Coupe did.

Also, the diagram that Crutchfield gave me matched 99% of how my car harness looks with the exception of two wires. Can someone explain this to me?
Sedan/Coupe have a few wiring differences. Plus your numbering doesn't match the factory diagram, maybe you counted from the wrong end of the plug?

factory plugs:
Pin A 1 (yel/grn) in a coupe would be the switched power out to the antenna booster, which is not needed on a sedan (empty hole).
Pin A 10 (wht/red) is constant power on both coupe and sedan.
Pin A 11-14 are all empty
Pin A 17 (gry/red) is RF spkr neg on both coupe and sedan
Old 09-10-2018
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
drhawkinz has a spectacular aura aboutdrhawkinz has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Fredo_p
All went well until I realized that the ready harness that I bought had the blue/white spliced onto a blue and connected to nothing on the car side.
Yeah this should be a remote wire to turn on an amp if you had a sub amp or 4 channel amp in the car. It just turns the amp on with the radio so the amp isn't on all the time draining the battery.

However, when I look at the diagram, I see that the car side harness pin#10 POWER ANTENNA has a missing wire (yellow/green).
Does this mean my 4dr LX doesn't need the ant. booster? And where, exactly, is the booster located if I wanted to see if I had one?
If I remember right from my car audio days this refers to if the car has a motorized antenna. When you turn the car on the antenna extends out of the fender and then retracts when you turn the car off. I don't think it applies for these cars.

PIN #1 CONSTANT 12 V WHITE/RED PIN #14 RIGHT FRONT SPKR- GREY/RED but the harness has it reversed. Or am I misinterpreting what that grey dash is on pin #1 ?
I think so, the speaker wire looks red/gray in one picture and then red/white in the 2nd picture. In the pic on the left it looks red/gray but on the right it looks red/white but it's the same wire. The red/white with the little gray bands should be the 12V constant.
Old 09-11-2018
Maint Tech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fredo_p is an unknown quantity at this point

Well ****. I didn't notice it was grey on the top. I swear it looked white and the other with the grey dashes threw me off.