I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

03 civic first high beams went out, and now lowbeams too.

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sparatik is an unknown quantity at this point
03 civic first high beams went out, and now lowbeams too.

2003 Civic HX 110k on the clock. I had the original alternator fail and replaced it with an Ultima refurbished. It went in fine, but always had a louder than normal whine. After about 10k miles in 3 months, it started overcharging and frying batteries. The first time I had thought perhaps it had gotten wet and shorted out the battery as it had been raining hard, or perhaps just a bad battery. So I put in battery #2, and after 4 hours of a 20 hour road trip that one fried too. This time I replaced the alternator and the battery. All went in easy, and car is running and charging fine. Problem is I have no high or low beams. After battery #1 blew, the high beams no longer worked. The blue high beam dash indicator shows, but may be more dim than normal. No high beams at all, but low beams fine. About the time battery #2 fried, it was lights out like bedtime for Bonzo. No high or low beams. I had really (wishfully) hoped the new battery and alternator combo would magically restore my headlights, but not so. As far as I can tell everything else is completely fine. I have been through some forums and Honda pages and found 3 possible solutions. Headlight switch, under hood headlight relay and L and R fuses, or the under the dash fuses 10 and 21 per a diagram I found online. I started with the headlight switch (left side of column blinker and headlight on/off with high beam lever) as my reading had lead me to believe this was the culprit, given a few other write ups with similar issues. Mainly that the highs failed first, and then the lows. Unfortunately the new headlight switch is in, and I am still in the dark. I replaced the under the hood headlight relay, and again checked the L and R fuses under the hood, but still nothing. I checked the F10 and F21 fuses under the dash and they were fine. Perhaps I didn't have the correct fuse numbers there, as this was just the best diagram I could find online. I have ordered a owner's manual, but still waiting on delivery. I will change the bulbs first thing in the AM, or try and take these ones in and make sure they work. I just really doubt this is the issue by the way they went out. Also many people I read stories of had tried this fix first, but after replacing bulbs and having no lights, just bought back up headlights for the next time they burn out, if they ever get the issue fixed. I will follow up tomorrow once the bulbs are checked, but in my downtime tonight, I wanted to reach out to the forum. I would love to have any suggestions experience or expertise on this no headlight matter. I thank you all in advance, and wish you all the best of functioning headlights on your future after dark Civic adventures. Cheers Fam.

David
Old 08-25-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: 03 civic first high beams went out, and now lowbeams too.

pinched any wires during radiator install?
Old 08-25-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
pinched any wires during radiator install?
No pinched wires that I know of. Never installed a radiator since I have had the car. I got it with 87k on the odometer. I just replaced the alternator at 95k and all was fine, except the awkward whine after 1st replacemnt alternator install. After 10k miles on that refurbished alternator she started frying batteries, but no pinched or wiring problems that I knew of. And the 2nd replacement alternator went in just fine, shouldn't have pinched any wires, and sounds and works just fine. Headed to check the bulbs now. Will update when results are found. Thanks again for the help.

David

Last edited by Sparatik; 08-25-2018 at 11:24 AM. Reason: Okwark is spelled awkward
Old 08-25-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I will change the bulbs first thing in the AM,
High voltage (overcharging) blows out light bulbs.

Why didn't you start with the bulbs instead of everything else? K.I.S.S.
Old 08-25-2018
Registered!!

Because I was a fool. And decided to search all around before trying that, and it was obviously a mistake as I now see filament floaties in each bulb. Sorry for wasting your time guys. Thanks for all the help. And as soon as I shake something else into malfunction I will be back on the forum for more help. Feeling humbled. That is a nice way to say stupid, but even I know that.

David

Last edited by Sparatik; 08-25-2018 at 11:53 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 08-25-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sparatik
Because I was a fool. And decided to search all around before trying that, and it was obviously a mistake as I now see filament floaties in each bulb. Sorry for wasting your time guys. Thanks for all the help. And as soon as I shake something else into malfunction I will be back on the forum for more help. Feeling humbled. That is a nice way to say stupid, but even I know that.

David
I've been doing what I do for more than 30 years, and I still complicate some simple **** sometimes.
Old 08-25-2018
Registered!!

Either I have died and returned back home to Zion, or have fixed my Civic issue, either way I can now see the light! Brilliant white light! Thanks again Forum Fam.

David