I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

P1167 spark plugs??

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Joenawrockis is an unknown quantity at this point
P1167 spark plugs??

sup guys been a while but need to know has anyone gotten that error code above and then when I expanded it whithin certain obd scan tools , most recently though when I had expanded the code it told me faulty spark plugs. Something along those lines however I know only one spark plug hasn’t been swapped like the other three have , the three being whithin last few weeks at most the other is only about a few months at the very most “old”. Um to I guess In hopes to shed light on this I also threw the code P1166 1 out of the two o2 sensors are plugged in to corresponding connectors, the downstream one or the lower of the two is the one not hooked up the sensor is in the cat however I had to make that decision when I pulled it from a yard and I just was in a rush so it’s not hooked up to the connector that runs to the computer. Only thing else I can think of is it possibly my ignition coils? High , very hi miles n I’m sure they the originals cuz I recently replaced the seals on them at the top and the rubb boots on the bottom
Old 05-14-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: P1167 spark plugs??

The P1167 code is for the primary O2 sensor (AF sensor) heater circuit.

Spark plugs and coils cannot cause nor fix that code.

If your rear sensor is disconnected, it should be setting code(s) for that too.
Old 05-16-2018
Registered!!

GentleBen is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, got the P1166 and P1167 codes on a 2001 HX.

Tested the heater circuit on the Primary O2 sensor (AF Sensor) and got no resistance, which indicates that the heater circuit is bad. Replaced the AF sensor and problem solved. No more CEL and passed state inspection.
Old 05-19-2018
Registered!!

Joenawrockis is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by GentleBen
Yes, got the P1166 and P1167 codes on a 2001 HX.

Tested the heater circuit on the Primary O2 sensor (AF Sensor) and got no resistance, which indicates that the heater circuit is bad. Replaced the AF sensor and problem solved. No more CEL and passed state inspection.
how did you test the sensor ? cuz i also have the exact same car
Old 05-20-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Joenawrockis
how did you test the sensor ? cuz i also have the exact same car
Use an ohm meter to check resistance of the heater element inside the sensor

If it's a 4 wire sensor,
Test on the two like colored wires of the sensor

Like the sensor might have a white, a green, and two black wires. The black pair are for the heating element.
Old 05-21-2018
Registered!!

Yep. Exactly.
Disconnect the Primary (upstream) sensor that is above the catalytic converter. Use an ohm meter or multimeter set on the ohm setting and connect the two probes to the two wire connections of the same color to test the heater element. On my 2001 HX the two wires are black.

On my 2001 LX the two wires are white. The 2001 HX uses a wide band Air Fuel Sensor for the primary and the 2001 LX does not.

To get an idea of what the reading should be, I tested the resistance on the LX sensor first and got 4.9
The AF sensor on the HX had a reading of zero. That means the heater element was bad even though the sensor itself may be operating after reaching its normal operating temperature somewhere above 600 degrees (which it was).

The correct sensor was the Denso 234-9005.
Majestic Honda (hondaautomotiveparts.com) listed it for $311.08
Denso Products.com had it for $135.79
Amazon had the same identical sensor for $99.99

Which one do you think I ordered?
Old 05-21-2018
Registered!!

...or there's a fourth option. You can go to the dealership and pay big bucks.
No need though, as this is an easy repair if indeed the AF sensor is the problem. Sure sounds like it.

Thanks ezone for taking the time to share your wealth of knowledge with us mechanically challenged schmucks.