I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

2003 civic Low Beams out/High beams work

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jfulford1 is an unknown quantity at this point
2003 civic Low Beams out/High beams work

Hello.
I've read all the posts here and elsewhere(or a lot of them) about this issue. I have checked all the fuses, replaced the headlight switch, and tried to locate the "low beam cut relay". I've replaced the relays in the underhood fuse box.
My question is: Where in the world is the low beam cut relay"? I've seen the pictures, pretty much removed most of my lower dash, and cannot find it in the location listed. I do Not have DRLs. Is the cut relay only used with DRLs?
I'm at the point to start tracing wires. Very frustrating.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
jeff
2003 Honda Civic LX
Old 02-12-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2003 civic Low Beams out/High beams work

Has your car had the recall(s) done yet?
(see recall links in signature below)
Old 02-12-2018

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

If the high beams DO work, the relays and fuses are fine.
Relays supply positive to the bulbs.....

headlight switch controls the ground to each side of each bulb, no relays involved in this section.

The dash fusebox is the common junction point for the harnesses involved
Old 02-12-2018
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

So... just double checking because you didn't mention this in your initial post.. Did you check the filaments in the bulbs? H4's are dual filament: one for low beams, one for high beams. There's a chance that the low beam filament could be out but the high beams still in tact.
Old 02-13-2018
Registered!!

jfulford1 is an unknown quantity at this point

All,
Thanks for all the responses. I did pull the bulbs and look at each one, and they looked fine, as far as I could tell. They were the *only* thing, other than tracking wires, that I hadn't replaced.
With the chance of being a loony that just likes to do a lot of work for the hell of it, I broke down and bought 2 bulbs. I replaced them and everything worked. I just couldn't believe they would both go out at the same time, and reading all the assorted forums on the net led me to believe the worse.
So, lesson learned. I have about 50 bucks into this and about 3 hours. Took me 5 minutes to change the bulbs.
Again, thanks for the help. I will try to be a bit more intelligent the next time around...
jeff
Old 02-13-2018
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

What I've done in the past to verify bulbs working (also, always start at the cheapest thing to fix, at least testing-wise) is connect leads directly to the bulb prongs to test functionality. 2001-2003 civics are ground switching lights with a common +12vdc. Chances are there was a minimal break in the low beam filament
Old 02-13-2018
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

Chances are passenger one burnt out awhile ago and it wasn’t till the other went you noticed the sudden darkness.
Old 02-13-2018

I had a car that burned out headlights within ONE DAY of each other. They were the exact same age and had the exact same amount of time being on, and all that.

I've had other cars that burned headlights within several days of each other.
Same for customers cars....that's why we always try to sell headlight bulbs in pairs at the shop
Old 02-11-2021
Registered!!

Spencer Mac is an unknown quantity at this point

Almost a certainty the 2nd follows quickly. They draw considerable current so when one fails the voltage goes up on the 2nd light. Mine did the same thing failed the next night after the first one did.