I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Help with Anti Theft Radio Code

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kennykenny is an unknown quantity at this point
Help with Anti Theft Radio Code

I have a 2005 Honda Civic. I disconnected the battery and need to reset the radio code. I had been entering the wrong code(I have another Honda). I am now getting and errE code when I am attempting to enter the correct code. What do I do to correct this? Thanks.
Old 12-31-2017
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: Help with Anti Theft Radio Code

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...adio-code.html
Old 12-31-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

To start over...Disconnect battery Or pull out the back up fuse for about 15 minutes
Old 01-02-2018
Registered!!

andyblaz is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Help with Anti Theft Radio Code

Originally Posted by ezone
To start over...Disconnect battery Or pull out the back up fuse for about 15 minutes
Taking out the fuse for about 15 minutes worked for me. The cold deadened our battery. I recharged it and then saw the Enter Code. After pressing any buttons sorta testing it out, I came home and found the actual code that came with the dealer. But I had to reset it first.

Even tho fixed, I still have two questions that maybe somebody can help with.

1 - I read elsewhere that there is a limit to the number of times you can reset the radio. Is this true? (2011 Civic).
2 - Since the battery went dead, I am wondering if this would also reset the oil monitor. It reads 100% now. I got the oil changed in late November so maybe it's still at 100%. Or maybe it was reset? My guess is that oil and mileage use some other backup battery??
Old 01-02-2018

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andyblaz
1 - I read elsewhere that there is a limit to the number of times you can reset the radio. Is this true? (2011 Civic).
You get something like 3 or 6 attempts before the radio won't accept any more code inputs, then you have to remove power from the radio to reset it like you did on yours.
AFAIK that can always be reset with the fuse pull. If you keep doing that when the radio says ERR you can keep entering wrong codes indefinitely..

2 - Since the battery went dead, I am wondering if this would also reset the oil monitor.
No. Maint monitor and oil life are unaffected by a dead battery.
Old 01-03-2018
Registered!!

Lightbulb Re: Help with Anti Theft Radio Code

You get something like 3 or 6 attempts before the radio won't accept any more code inputs, then you have to remove power from the radio to reset it like you did on yours.
AFAIK that can always be reset with the fuse pull. If you keep doing that when the radio says ERR you can keep entering wrong codes indefinitely..

No. Maint monitor and oil life are unaffected by a dead battery.
Thanks, good to know. I wasn't too happy about having to learn all this in the cold yesterday. I hadn't a clue about the where and how of the fuses. Now I do, which is a good thing! Seems a little too drastic to disconnect the battery. But I guess that would be easier for some.

Incidentally, our battery shows a bit of acid leak or corrosion at the terminals. Is this something I should be concerned about? Otherwise is seems pretty good for a 7 year old set of wheels.

Last edited by andyblaz; 01-03-2018 at 08:42 AM. Reason: typo
Old 01-03-2018

Originally Posted by andyblaz

Incidentally, our battery shows a bit of acid leak or corrosion at the terminals. Is this something I should be concerned about? Otherwise is seems pretty good for a 7 year old set of wheels.
Some batteries just do it, acid finds its way between the lead post and the plastic case.....and I'm glad you understand the corrosion originates with acid seeping.

Clean what you can, neutralize what's there with baking soda/water so the cable clamp doesn't get eaten away. If the battery is 7 years old it's probably on borrowed time IMO
Old 01-04-2018
Registered!!

Question Re: Help with Anti Theft Radio Code

Some batteries just do it, acid finds its way between the lead post and the plastic case.....and I'm glad you understand the corrosion originates with acid seeping.

Clean what you can, neutralize what's there with baking soda/water so the cable clamp doesn't get eaten away. If the battery is 7 years old it's probably on borrowed time IMO
Thanks yeah, this is the first winter we've had an issue like this. Mind you, it's a cold one. Car is 2011 but hardly any km on it. Mechanic said "it's a new car" when I asked him if we should replace it. So maybe battery hasn't had as many charges as a conventionally used car? I don't know how auto batteries work, if the logic is anything like, say, a computer or phone battery.

Wondering if number of charges (or total charging time) affects battery life...