I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Help replacing speakers in an '05 EX

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
joegeek is an unknown quantity at this point
Help replacing speakers in an '05 EX

Anyone know what size they are? I have read 5.25 but some say 6.5. I need to buy tonight and cannot get to the car, my boy has it out on the town lol.

Also, any advice on replacing his DIN head unit? I bought a nice JVC DIN and the harness with kit so I hope I do not have a problem
Old 12-12-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
Re: Help replacing speakers in an '05 EX

Originally Posted by joegeek
Anyone know what size they are? I have read 5.25 but some say 6.5. I need to buy tonight and cannot get to the car, my boy has it out on the town lol.

Also, any advice on replacing his DIN head unit? I bought a nice JVC DIN and the harness with kit so I hope I do not have a problem
Speakers: https://www.crutchfield.com/S-I3h9gX...vic-sedan.html

If you purchased a conversion harness (i.e Amazon, Ebay) it should work very well and make it much easier for the install.
Old 12-12-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
joegeek is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Megalodong
Speakers: https://www.crutchfield.com/S-I3h9gX...vic-sedan.html

If you purchased a conversion harness (i.e Amazon, Ebay) it should work very well and make it much easier for the install.
Conversion harness for the head unit?

I am purchasing this tonight

Amazon Amazon
Old 12-12-2017
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Thread moved to correct subforum (7thgen > I.C.E. and electrical)

Which speakers are you looking to replace? Front door speakers or rear deck speakers? Also, is the car a coupe or sedan. If the latter choice for both questions, it makes a difference, as the sedans were equipped with 6.5" in the rear deck, whereas the coupes have 6x9s.

If you're talking about the front door speakers, 6.5s is what you're looking for. Make sure you check the mounting depth, however. Some speakers out there are too deep to mount into the door of a 7thgen. I'll try and find the spec for that (something like 2 inches deep, maximum). In the meantime, I'll leave you with this little tidbit. On my 2002 civic, when I replaced the speaker, I installed Alpine SPR-17c speakers. They're 6.75s, but they came with adapters for 6.5 speaker holes. Top mount depth is like 2.5" or so. I had to take a dremel to the door panel to create clearance for.. I forgot what the electrical component on the back of the speaker, but to make clearance for a small part of the speaker. Also had to drill the panel and use speed nuts to mount the speaker.

edit: this DIY guide should prove to be of some use to you
~~~DIY Front Door Speaker Install Coupe and Sedan~~~

From the guide, you have 1.75" to work with for top-mounting, but spacers will help. The spec on how thick of a spacer you can run, I don't have at the moment