I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

2005 Civic: all backlight buttons dead

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2017
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MajTom is an unknown quantity at this point
Question 2005 Civic: all backlight buttons dead

I have a 2005 Civic Hybrid, and have a big problem.
Aside from the instrument cluster, EVERY backlit button and control on the dash does not light up when the lights are turned on.
The buttons/***** do activate the required components when pushed/turned.
This includes the Cruise button, radio, Temp controls, hazard, AT shift indicator lights, etc.
If pushed, the Cruise, Recirc, Fresh, and Economy button backlights do come on as required.
About 5 years ago, one little bulb, behind the Cruise button went out and I replaced it.
So here's the problem. I can see one, maybe two bulbs going out, but ALL of them?
Is this a tell-tale sign of a widespread electrical problem?
I just replaced the 12v battery, and the lights were like this before and after.
And I did check the illumination adjustment control on the instrument cluster.
The owner's manual doesn't show a fuse for something like "backlight illumination."
Can anyone help me figure out what's wrong with my car?
Old 08-22-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2005 Civic: all backlight buttons dead

About 5 years ago, one little bulb, behind the Cruise button went out and I replaced it.
Does that one still work? Pilot light or backlight?

I can see one, maybe two bulbs going out, but ALL of them?
They are simple incandescent light bulbs, they are all the same age and have the same amount of "on time" so it stands to reason those bulbs could be bad now.

Many of us recommend replacing headlight bulbs in pairs for the same reason.

Pretty simple to test a couple of the suspect bulbs and test power/ground to those bulbs.
Old 08-23-2017
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MajTom is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 2005 Civic: all backlight buttons dead

Went thru the manual again and was surprised that I over looked it: a fuse under the hood marked "Small light." I popped it out and sure enough, it was blown.
Don't know why I didn't see it the first time. All is back to normal.