I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Strange car stereo problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mikerog is an unknown quantity at this point
Strange car stereo problem

Hello,

I have a 2003 Civic Coupe EX. When I first bought it in 2003 I replaced the car stereo with a Sony in-dash receiver. It worked great up until I upgraded to a newer unit in 2011.

Starting earlier this year the buttons on the receiver stopped working so I just assumed the unit was dead and bought a new one. I bought the Sony DSXA400BT. I had Best Buy install it but it was acting very weird - the buttons on the receiver itself and the remote weren't working in sync, if you turned the car on the first one you used would work and they other wouldn't (ie: press a button on the receiver, the remote wouldn't work until the next time you turned the car on). Also, suspiciously, my car battery died a few days after installation.

Best Buy told me the unit must have been bad. So I RMAd it with Sony and the one they sent me did the exact same thing. So I thought maybe this model just must be incompatible with my car (Crutchfield said it was compatible).

So I bought a Pioneer DEH-X6900BT and installed it last week. It seemed to be working great. Until last night when I took a car ride longer than 10 minutes. About 20 minutes in the LCD started flipping through settings on its own and the buttons on the receiver and the remote both stopped working! Same thing happened on my car ride back, 20 minutes or so into the trip.

I'm not even sure where to start to troubleshoot this. Clearly it's the car and not the receiver. What part in the car needs to be checked? I have a brand new battery I put in when the other one that was only 2 years old died after putting in the first Sony DSXA400BT receiver (mentioned above).

One thing I should mention....my airbag was recalled and I brought it to Honda in January to get repaired and this issue started almost immediately after. Could they have screwed something up?

Thanks so much for any help!
Old 07-03-2017
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
drhawkinz has a spectacular aura aboutdrhawkinz has a spectacular aura about
Re: Strange car stereo problem

Did you/Best Buy wire up the illumination wire? If so disconnect it.
Old 09-23-2017
Car Audio Inc

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
thornygravy is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Strange car stereo problem

Sounds like you got ghosts.