I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Cluster Pinout question

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2017
No Fracs Given

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FracKen is an unknown quantity at this point
Cluster Pinout question

I am in the process of trying to replace my entire cluster with a digital and select analog viewing in a dash/hud combo solution while also feeding the data into my SCADA system I am going to use. To accomplish this, I have to remove my cluster completely, run the wires into my PLC and then bring them out in my desired format. Eventually, I plan to completely replace all buttons and ***** with the touch interface I am going to add. The issue I am running into is from the below pinout PDF; it doesn't explain the numbered circuits. I am sure tac, speed, fuel and temp fall into there somewhere. I could use a scope to sort it out; I just wanted to see if anyone knew already and could just tell me to save me a bit of time.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/jo...6_cluster6.pdf

Thanks in advance.

-Ken
Old 06-18-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cluster Pinout question

Here's an issue: The tach, speedo, coolant temp, and some of the lights are controlled by the PCM and/or MICU through a data bus, instead of individual dedicated analog circuits to the cluster.

The cluster has its own microprocessor to convert the data to run the gauge needles.
Old 06-18-2017
No Fracs Given

hrm. OK, so that means I am going to have to go to the pick a part, grab a cluster and reverse engineer the PWM output. I love integrated solutions...

THIS IS GOING TO BE FUN. *sarcasm implied, however, my resolve is now stonger*

thanks ezone.
Old 06-18-2017

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Could use an OBD2 scanner interface for data?
Old 06-18-2017
No Fracs Given

I could, however, I don't want the slow data speed and also to just rely on the OBD2. I did this in another car I built once and loved it. My background is in SCADA platform development and advanced industrial automation, I plan on literally using SCADA for all of my sensor to collect the data on a 10ms input rate and then outputting that data to an integrated HMI I build for viewing and interpreting. Basically, I am going to take the OBD2 interface and put it on steroids.

After my last post sitting there it dawned on my that if I can't use the existing wireing, it would probably be easier to do a tap onto the PWM and 12v interfaces on the existing sensors and directly bypass the ECU for the data.
Old 06-18-2017

This should be interesting.....
Old 06-18-2017
No Fracs Given

lmao absolutely. especially considering that I have to ensure I don't fry the ECU

I have been down that road before.