I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Key FOB question for 2002 coupe LX

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
defsam is an unknown quantity at this point
Key FOB question for 2002 coupe LX

Hello, this is my first post. I actually did not come here to ask this question but I ended up asking about it first anyway.

I have a 2002 civic lx coupe with the FOB and key separated. I have always liked the convenience and portability of switchblade/flip keys, so I found this:
link link

I was wondering of ways to transfer the key there. I know the FOB will work but I have no idea if the key will.

Instead of carrying a key and a fob, wouldnt it be more convenient to have it all in one box?

Thanks guys.
Old 04-18-2017
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: Key FOB question for 2002 coupe LX

Those keys are usually cut different to accept a different type of key cylinder. Not sure if it can be cut a different way.

I actually prefer to have a smaller key and separate fob. My Fit has the fob with the key and I thinks it is a little bulky. A switch blade key would be cool, or having no key with push button.
Old 04-18-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by GolNat
Those keys are usually cut different to accept a different type of key cylinder. Not sure if it can be cut a different way.

I actually prefer to have a smaller key and separate fob. My Fit has the fob with the key and I thinks it is a little bulky. A switch blade key would be cool, or having no key with push button.
Yeah I just wanted a little less things to carry as I am already carrying a lot in my keychain. It would be nice. Wonder if there are other people who have experience with this.
Old 04-18-2017
Registered!!

I was wondering if this is really possible:
Old 04-19-2017
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GusBuz is a jewel in the roughGusBuz is a jewel in the roughGusBuz is a jewel in the rough

I found one seller on ebay that can sell you the fob with compatible fob built in and also the immobilizer chip in it already. All you would need is for a locksmith to cut the key and program the immobilizer.

The one in your picture says you need to transfer parts from the old remote and key into the new one.

I was looking into the same thing but i'm iffy about those chinese parts
Old 04-19-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by GusBuz
I found one seller on ebay that can sell you the fob with compatible fob built in and also the immobilizer chip in it already. All you would need is for a locksmith to cut the key and program the immobilizer.

The one in your picture says you need to transfer parts from the old remote and key into the new one.

I was looking into the same thing but i'm iffy about those chinese parts
Im just about to do it, Since no one has any guide about it and Im just using common sense. I will take precaution first though and I will find a place that can program a key for me just in case it wont work out.
Old 04-20-2017
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GusBuz is a jewel in the roughGusBuz is a jewel in the roughGusBuz is a jewel in the rough

Just make sure its compatible so it works with your key-less receiver and you should be golden.
Let us know how it goes so we can have a good guide for future reference.
Good luck!
Old 04-20-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by GusBuz
Just make sure its compatible so it works with your key-less receiver and you should be golden.
Let us know how it goes so we can have a good guide for future reference.
Good luck!
Thanks! and yeah the guides here all don't have pictures or are expired links. I will try to get a bunch of pics for a guide or something.