I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Head Unit Installation Gone Wrong

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stoned_n_lost is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Head Unit Installation Gone Wrong

Hello fellow Civicians ,

So I bought a Dual XDVD256BT receiver (http://www.dualav.com/support/manuals/xdvd256bt.pdf) and tried the install on my 2004 Civic. Being the impatient individual that I am, I could not wait to get the adapter harness that would have made my life easy, and instead clipped the factory connector off.

I then began tediously splicing wires with the harness that came with the receiver. Finally, I believe I got them all wired correctly and verified all voltages and continuities with a DMM. My switched ACC (red) and battery (yellow) voltages are reading ~ 12.6V. My ground is correct and all the fuses are good. I AM NOT GETTING POWER TO THE RECEIVER!

I have my car torn apart obviously and it`s getting cold (Northeast PA) - I need to get this working so that I can use my heat again! Additionally, I am too stubborn at this point to have someone else do it. I've come this far through this troubleshooting nightmare, and actually joined this forum to see if you guys can help me finish the job.

I do not have photos of the wiring, I will try to add them tomorrow. The one wire I could not find any information on is the plain red coming from the Civic harness - this very well could be the issue ? Just cant find consistent information online in regards to the wire color coding.

Thanks for any help you can provide!!
Old 10-24-2016
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: Head Unit Installation Gone Wrong

So you have power up to the receiver but it wont turn on? Is the receiver fuse good?

Wiring diagram that should be correct:

http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/....asp?tid=64482
Old 10-25-2016
Registered!!

Yes - 12V at the battery and switched ACC is working correctly. Dimmer is wired correctly. Ground is wired correctly. No power to the unit. Fuse is good on the unit.
Old 10-25-2016
The legs in the public bathroom stall

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
mcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by stoned_n_lost
Dimmer is wired correctly..
Wired correctly how? Hooking the illumination wire on honda to the illumination wire on an aftermarket radio can cause damage to multiple components. They aren't wired like most other cars.
Old 10-25-2016
Registered!!

Wired in the sense that when the headlights are off there is no voltage at the connection, and then when the parking lights are engaged the voltage is present at the connection (12V).
Old 03-14-2017
Registered!!

FijiEM2 is an unknown quantity at this point

I know this is an older post but in my 2005 civic there is no dimmer, so I didn't even wire up the dimmer option. Didnt have an issue but I was also installing a Pioneer double din. I only post this because this was posted in the 7th gen forum.

Incidentally Dual brand audio products are low end, I had one in my 98 civic and it would frequently shut it self off or even need to be reset to run. So it could even be the radio it self, its worth looking into. That radio should have a blade type of fuse right above the pig tail connection on the back of the radio, some plugs are designed to cover it up when plugged in.
Old 03-14-2017
Registered!!

FijiEM2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mcnoople
Wired correctly how? Hooking the illumination wire on honda to the illumination wire on an aftermarket radio can cause damage to multiple components. They aren't wired like most other cars.
It looks as though this gentlemen beat me to it. I had neglected to mention that it can cause issues elsewhere.