I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Dash, dome, and exterior lighting problems.

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2015
Huckin' Hippie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
redrocket87 is an unknown quantity at this point
Dash, dome, and exterior lighting problems.

I decided to install a couple of gauges I had ( Voltmeter and Electric Oil Pressure) so I soldered all the splices before installing them both positives for the Gauges to 1 line, both Grounds for the Gauges to 2nd line, both positives for the Gauge Lights to a 3rd line, and both Grounds to a 4th line, there is single line that goes to the Sender for the Oil Pressure Gauge I ran through the Firewall to the Sending unit. I sourced out the Red/Black lines for Dimming on the Blue block plug going into the Cluster and tied into the Red line with the positive for the Gauge Lights, I used the Lighter Positive for the Gauges themselves, and I ran all Ground wires to a ground already bolted in behind the Lighter where I tied in the positive. When I put it all back together the Gauge lights would not come on, only flicker for an instant. I tried to Ground the lights to the Black wire on the Blue block plug, but that didn't work either. So I Grounded it back where I had before. Now I've lost about half of my dash lights, my dome light doesn't come on when I open the door, my dash lights won't come on until I start the car. I don't know what has happened or what I've done, anybody have any ideas? It's a 2003 Civic DX Coupe.
Old 10-31-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dash, dome, and exterior lighting problems.

Disconnect everything you installed from the lighting circuits. Hope you didn't ruin anything yet.

Did you check if the dash light wire(s) you connected to were positive or negative when turned on?
Old 10-31-2015
Huckin' Hippie

Yes I only tied into the Red Dimmer line in the Blue Block Plug at first, then I tried to Ground to the Black Line beside it. None of it worked so I unhooked from both the Black and the Red lines of the Blue Block Plug. I put the Ground back to where it was. The Gauge lights aren't hooked into anything right now, I would just like to hook them to the Headlight line so the Gauge lights only come on when I turn on my Headlights. Oh yeah my radio isn't working now either
Old 10-31-2015
Huckin' Hippie

I did Western Union Splices to the Cluster lines and I taped back over them when I removed the splices.
Old 11-01-2015

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by redrocket87
Yes I only tied into the Red Dimmer line in the Blue Block Plug at first, then I tried to Ground to the Black Line beside it.

I would just like to hook them to the Headlight line so the Gauge lights only come on when I turn on my Headlights.

Oh yeah my radio isn't working now either
What's a blue block plug, and what circuit is this black wire part of?

Fuse(s) may have blown when you did that? Did that take out the radio?
Find and fix fuses first.
Then see if your dash lights still work right.

You should have checked polarity with a voltmeter before attempting to connect anything. Or a wiring diagram for the car.

Dimmable dash light illumination wire colors are red, and red/black, you can find these in any illuminated switch or light in the dash.
Red is NOT positive.
Positive side is full 12v whenever the lights are on.
Ground is variable to dim the dash lights.

It's easy and quick to burn the dimmer circuit trace right off of the board on the back of the gauge cluster if you do something wrong here.
Did you smell anything? Electronics smoke?

The headlight switch turns grounds on and off to operate the headlight and taillight relays. not hots.

Last edited by ezone; 11-01-2015 at 10:07 AM. Reason: speeled rong
Old 11-01-2015
Huckin' Hippie

There is a Large Blue Plug and a Large Green Plug feeding the Cluster at the top, the wiring diagram showed that the dimmer line was the Red/Black #16 slot. I was looking at a form on here that gave me that info. There was 1 fuse blown, the 15amp for the Lighter/Acess. The 7.5amp for the Radio is fine, but I may have blown the Radio's own fuse. I didn't smell anything or see smoke so I may be OK. I guess this is going to be a learning curve for now, this is my first Honda as well as my first foreign product since a Mazda back in the 80's and a Austin in the 70's. What would be the best/easiest line to grab for the illuminating the Gauges. I can go without the dimming aspect. Thanks for your input I really appreciate it!
Old 11-01-2015
Huckin' Hippie

I checked the rest of the fuses under the dash on the driver's side and found no blown fuses, I checked the radio and it's fuse was good too. I checked the ground behind the Lighter panel to make sure there was good contact and it was fine, but still no power to the radio. Still trying to hunt it down!
Old 11-01-2015

There is a Large Blue Plug and a Large Green Plug feeding the Cluster at the top,
Ah, ok. I get it now.
I still don't know what the black wire was that you grounded.
EDIT: ok, probably grounds for the cluster

the wiring diagram showed that the dimmer line was the Red/Black #16 slot. I was looking at a form on here that gave me that info
B16 red/black would be the positive feed to all dash lights, but it's a full 12v whenever lights are on.

Dimming is done through the ground side (it's a red wire), and the dimmer is all electronic.
What would be the best/easiest line to grab for the illuminating the Gauges. I can go without the dimming aspect.
Got a diagram of your aftermarket units?

If the lights in your aftermarket gauges are grounded internally then B16 is all you need (or really any keyed 12v hot would suffice).
If they need a separate (ground side) wired in for the lights,,,,,,then B17 (red) is the dash lights variable ground side (if you connect that to a regular hot or ground you can fry the dimmer circuits, noobs often do this when installing radios).

Side note: Wire plug positions at the gauge cluster change with various model years and trim levels, so make sure the colors match the position stated before trying to connect anything.
I didn't smell anything or see smoke so I may be OK.
Are all the dash lights working again?
There was 1 fuse blown, the 15amp for the Lighter/Acess. The 7.5amp for the Radio is fine, but I may have blown the Radio's own fuse.
Engine compartment fuse box, check back up fuse (#9 ??)

there is single line that goes to the Sender for the Oil Pressure Gauge I ran through the Firewall to the Sending unit.
Did you get a new oil pressure sender for the gauge? The stock unit is a simple switch for the idiot light.
Old 11-01-2015
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

IMO you should take both RED/BLK (+12 w/lights) and RED (Control) and use them as a pair for illumination.... and make sure the wiring leads for gauge bulbs/leds are isolated.
Old 11-01-2015
Huckin' Hippie

Alright everything is working again and thanks for the help! I have the Voltmeter working and I've ordered a new Sending Unit for the Electric Oil Pressure Gauge. The old one was leaking oil so I'm just replacing it. I haven't got the Gauge lights hooked up for now, I was looking at the install diagram. I have Autometer Gauges and on the back is a Black wire and a White wire coming from the light, the diagram says "Black Wire: Connect to Good Ground or dimming circuits on some import vehicles, White Wire: Connect to +12 Volt Lighting". So I should Connect the Black wire of the Gauges to the Red wire of the Cluster, and the White wire of the Gauges and connect it to the Red/Black wire of the Cluster? I am going to have to replace half of the Bulbs that were in the Cluster as the are burnt out. I tried Canadian Tire, but they didn't carry them, they are Toshiba V2. Beside paying through the nose from Honda for them is there anywhere else that has them?
Old 11-01-2015

CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Is the black wire from they gauges isolated from it's metal case ?

Best if it is.

Cluster bulbs.....oem are best bet for proper fit into socket.
Old 11-01-2015
Huckin' Hippie

The Gauge bulb is in a plastic twist mount into the back of the Gauge and the wires come from the back of the twist mount, I believe the Gauge is actually plastic. From what I've heard the V-2 bulb are like $10 buck for 2, so I'm looking at $50. for what I need.
Old 11-01-2015

http://www.hondapartsnow.com/parts-l...s-visteon.html

#8 ? Cant tell.

If you can see both wires leading to the bulbs socket in the add on gauges... then most likely they are isolated. If it is a bulb, either polarity of wiring will work.
Old 11-01-2015

I am going to have to replace half of the Bulbs that were in the Cluster as the are burnt out.
Take out the bad ones and use those as your examples when you go looking, so you can match them up.
Ohm check to make sure they are bad.
Old 11-01-2015
Huckin' Hippie

Both wires do go to the bulb socket and the socket screws into the back of the Gauge. Thanks for the parts page reference! If I go out looking I will take the bulb with me, thanks guys I appreciate all your help!