I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Adding another keyless remote on 2001 LX

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Idaho Hick is an unknown quantity at this point
Adding another keyless remote on 2001 LX

I just bought a 2001 Civic LX for my daughter. It only came with one key fob remote. It appears to be a factory Honda remote. I asked the local dealer about purchasing another and they said the LX remote entry system was an accessory, so they cannot replace the missing fob.

Is there any truth to this? I see them advertised on eBay stating they work with the LX model.

Any help on this would be appreciated.

Mike
Old 01-16-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Adding another keyless remote on 2001 LX

Whomever you spoke to is incorrect.

Read this info link (PDF) http://www.driveaccord.net/PDF/remot...m%2098-011.pdf

The info you need is on page 5.
Old 01-16-2015
200,000 and counting

thesushiboy is a jewel in the roughthesushiboy is a jewel in the roughthesushiboy is a jewel in the roughthesushiboy is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by ezone
Whomever you spoke to is incorrect.

Yup. You can buy the ones of ebay and program them easily. As long as you have the keyless entry already installed, that is.
Old 01-17-2015
Registered!!

Thanks so much for that information. It even lists the part number of the compatible remote! Very cool.

Mike
Old 01-21-2015
Registered!!

One other question: Can just the outside case be purchased to make the remote look new again. The guts of the one transmitter I have work, it just looks beat up.

Thanks in advance for sharing your wisdom on this.

Mike

Last edited by Idaho Hick; 01-21-2015 at 05:09 PM.
Old 01-21-2015

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Idaho Hick
I ordered part number 08E61-S5D-1M002 that the TSB provided said would work. When it arrived, it was not a transmitter but a relay looking thing. So... I struck out.
Ebay is not the same as a reputable Honda dealership. Buying from ebay can be a crapshoot.

What did you get? Got a pic?

Will any of the keyless entry transmitters offered on eBay work? Some say they will, but feedback indicates that people have had some that don't work.
Even though many may be similar in appearance, they are not normally interchangeable or compatible.

According to my info, the part number listed in the bulletin for your car also fits SOME 01-04 Civics, SOME 03-06 Element, and 07-08 Fit (base model).

I am not sure what to do.
Buy from a reputable dealership?

One other question: Can just the outside case be purchased to make the remote look new again. The guts of the one transmitter I have work, it just looks beat up.
Honda doesn't sell the case by itself. You may be able to find used transmitters to scrounge parts from though. I know we used to have a boxfull of dead ones.
Old 01-22-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Ebay is not the same as a reputable Honda dealership. Buying from ebay can be a crapshoot.

What did you get? Got a pic?

Don't have a pic. The dealer kept it when it wasn't right. I did TRY to buy it from my local Honda dealer. I think the box was the receiver for the keyless entry system.

We are researching this more. We think the last digit of the part number is incorrect in the TSB. We have ordered part 08E61-S5D-1M001 to see what that is.

Mike
Old 01-22-2015

We are researching this more. We think the last digit of the part number is incorrect in the TSB.
Crap crap crap. You're right. See below.

I ordered part number 08E61-S5D-1M002
This is still a valid part number.
08E61-S5D-1M001
So is this one.
Hmmm...

Price checker page says..
The M002 number says it's a "transmitter",

the M001 number says "transmitter, keyless"

Hmmm...

Search those numbers in the catalog.....and

08E61-S5D-1M001 is a "transmitter, keyless", quantity per car: 2
08E61-S5D-1M002 is a TRANSMITTER, KEYLESS RECEIVER. Qty 1.

Well, I guess that misleading description answers that. LOL

When I wrote this:
"According to my info, the part number listed in the bulletin for your car also fits SOME 01-04 Civics, SOME 03-06 Element, and 07-08 Fit (base model)."
I did not actually look at my copy of the bulletin, nor did I double check the part number you gave.

My bad, sorry. (For some reason I thought you got it the parts off of ebay too. Must have read the wrong post as yours?)

The version of the bulletin I found on the net appears to be an old one. The version I have is dated Jun 2011 and has the M001 part number listed for your transmitter.

Your dealer should have been able to locate the same info I have.

HTH
Old 01-22-2015
Registered!!

I still appreciate your help. I would not have known where to start without that TSB. The ...01 part number will come in on Monday and I will check it out and get back to you.

Do you have the June 2011 document in PDF form?

Thanks again.

Mike
Old 01-22-2015

Originally Posted by Idaho Hick

Do you have the June 2011 document in PDF form?
Only from Hondas dealer site, and I can't hotlink their information here. Sorry.

Anything I do link here was already posted elsewhere on the net by someone else. I wasn't able to find the newer version of the bulletin to link here.
You can search if you want... search for 'Honda bulletin 98-011' or whatever that number was.
Old 01-26-2015
Registered!!

As promised, I am providing an update on this. Part number 08E61-S5D-1M001 does in fact work on a 2001 Civic LX. I now have two working transmitters.

Thank you all for your help.

Mike
Old 05-08-2017
I thought it said HYUNDAI.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wakko is an unknown quantity at this point

I hope you guys don't mind me bumping this old girl to the top. '01 EX, has one OEM transmitter and I'd like at least one or two additional. Is that updated part number correct? I need duplicate keys too, but that's another thread.
Old 05-08-2017

Originally Posted by Wakko
I hope you guys don't mind me bumping this old girl to the top. '01 EX, has one OEM transmitter and I'd like at least one or two additional. Is that updated part number correct? I need duplicate keys too, but that's another thread.
EX has factory installed keyless, not a dealer installed accessory kit, so....

According to the parts catalog,
USA 2001 Civic (2 and 4 door) EX keyless transmitter:
part number 72147-S5A-A01
Old 05-09-2017
I thought it said HYUNDAI.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wakko is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks, ezone.