I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

2001 Civic Headlight issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
costellol is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool 2001 Civic Headlight issue

Hello, I just purchased a 2001 Civic EX 2 door for my son. I am going over all parts of the car getting it ready for him but I am having one repeated problem with the headlight bulbs. Here it is: I start the car then in an attempt to check the alternator I disconnect the negative on the battery and turn on the headlights and the heater blower motor full blast. After about 10-15 seconds the lights start to flicker and the low beams quit working and the heater stops blowing. I then hit the high beams and they work for a couple minutes and they stop working.
At this point the headlight bulbs have blown out. So I get new headlight bulbs and after I install them all works as intended.
I am on my second set of headlight bulbs which is getting pricey.
Shouldn't the electrical system (alternator) be able to handle all this load? I'm at a loss as to why the bulbs blow out, low beams then the high beams.
The alternator light doesn't flash but I suspect it could be weak.
Any of you pro's got an idea what could be going on?
Any help would be appreciated.....
Old 10-10-2014
Registered!!

costellol is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 2001 Civic Headlight issue

I stepped away and checked the output voltage via the battery and both of my fluke meters read between 17.8 to 18.1V. I also loaded the system the best I could so I now suspect the alternator excessive output voltage is what is blowing my headlight bulbs but only when I load the system. The ELD is new.
Old 10-10-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

NEVER DISCONNECT THE BATTERY OF A RUNNING CAR!!!!!!

Next things to be smoked will be any of the computers in the car. $$$$.$$

There are proper ways to test an alternator, this was not one of them. This ain't the 60's anymore.
Old 10-12-2014
Registered!!

bsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nice

It'd be free and easy to take it to your local auto parts store and have them test the battery and alternator.