I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

P0600 HONDA P0600 HONDA - Serial Communication Link Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
helloitismee is an unknown quantity at this point
P0600 HONDA P0600 HONDA - Serial Communication Link Malfunction

Hello,
I have an intermittent fault - 2002 civic coupe 1.7 manual se.
the dashboard (speed rev ...) stops working, sometimes it works, sometimes it does not.
after a while it comes back on (mileage counter goes to 88888888 like it checking/resetting) then the gauges comes back to life.
the car keeps on working as do headlights regardless.
I ran an obd (bought from ebay) check and got

P0600 HONDA - Serial Communication Link Malfunction

as the ignition light sometimes flickers I am thinking a loose cable / connector somewhere. It may come to life after 5-10 mins, or turning of completely then on again.

I have checked the main battery / engine earths which are good.
Any pointers where /what to look/do next?
thanks in advance!

Chris
Old 05-26-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: P0600 HONDA P0600 HONDA - Serial Communication Link Malfunction

Referring to this thread you started in January https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2...ml#post4631044

Remove the gauge cluster, there are two connectors on top of the housing. I'd try wiggling them and see if it does anything strange while you do that.

The thread linked above, combined with your complaints listed today, I'll GUESS you have a bad cluster or some issue directly related to the cluster powers/grounds. The odometer showing 888888 tells me the cluster is going through a boot process when you see it, and mileage info is stored within the cluster itself, not any of the other computers on the car.

P0600 code does not exist in my info for an 02 USA market car.
But P06xx series codes are usually related to computers and communication faults.

What country are you in?
Try a different code reader, from a parts store? A real scanner?

as the ignition light sometimes flickers
What light(s) might that be? What symbol?
Old 06-01-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
helloitismee is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for your help, have removed the dash cluster, (2 bitch clips at the bottom) and checked all connections (well its push fit and all seems good.)
Removed fuses and pushed them back in too.
and the problem went away, but then came back
sometime when the ignition is on the battery symbol flickers like 3 times a second, but all other lights are good (srs, airbag), and the car starts / runs fine.
Since checking the connections the rev/speedo/gauges work, but sometimes the mileometer still shows 8888888, turning off then on again may cure/may not, its weird.
any thought?
Car is a uk model rhd, but built in USA I believe.
Old 06-01-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

and the problem went away, but then came back
So I would guess that it is related to the cluster since you messed with it and you caused SOME effect on the issue.

I might pull the cluster out of the dash and leave the wiring connected, while flexing twisting and wiggling the unit to see if that had any effect on how it acted.

If it was a North American car, I'd probably want to try a gauge cluster first. But I really don't know for certain how much different your cars over there may be.

Car is a uk model rhd, but built in USA I believe.
I have zero info available on a car like that.

I'd guess yours was not built in the US since it is RHD.
What is the first digit of your VIN? That tells the country it was built in.