I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

3rd Brake Light Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SSMCivicCoupe will become famous soon enough
3rd Brake Light Problem

So I recently removed the stock spoiler on my car becuase I think our cars look way better without the spoiler, but here in California we need to have a 3rd brake light and I wanted to know since I removed my spoiler which had the brake light on it, Is there a way where I can install a 3rd brake light somewhere?
Old 10-25-2012
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future
Re: 3rd Brake Light Problem

you have a stock 3rd brake light on the bottom of your rear window. its prob unplugged.
Old 10-25-2012
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

8th gens that have the external 3rd light have a rear deck that has no 3rd light integrated into it.
Old 10-25-2012
Please, DubTee is my father, call me Dub

dubtee1480 is an unknown quantity at this point

Bottom of the rear window will be the place to go, if like sl33py said you don't already have one there. You can buy LED strips online or if you want something that looks more OEM you could probably use the third brake light off of a 2003-2005 Honda Accord, the model with the elongated horizontal tails; they integrated it into the trunk deck when they went to triangular tail lights. The angle of the rear window might not be exact but should be pretty close. When I had the windows tinted on my wife's Accord the installer mentioned removing the brake light and tinting between it and the window so you should be able remove one off of a junker and drill holes in the rear shelf of your car and mount it there. A local professional auto paint should be able to help you match a spray can of SEM interior paint to paint it to match.
Old 10-25-2012
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by CraigW
8th gens that have the external 3rd light have a rear deck that has no 3rd light integrated into it.
Good thing he's got a 7th gen
Old 10-25-2012

CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

I have seen 7th gen factory SE models that black out the back window at the brake light area. (same black they use around perimeter of glass)
Old 10-25-2012
Registered!!

I have seen 7th gen factory SE models that black out the back window at the brake light area. (same black they use around perimeter of glass)
Yea this is how mine is rite now. So even if I do put a third brake light from another car the light will not go through because of it being blacked out in that area. Would it be possible to put a Red LED strip right above that area or something similar to OEM?

Last edited by SSMCivicCoupe; 10-25-2012 at 05:56 PM.
Old 10-25-2012
Please, DubTee is my father, call me Dub

dubtee1480 is an unknown quantity at this point

If you want to mount something on the outside of your trunk deck, something from here might work: http://www.watsons-streetworks.com/l...ke_lights.html
They have some billet framed lights that could be mounted on the back of your car.
There are some here that are designed to mount inside the window with no gap between the light source and the window: http://www.ronfrancis.com/products.asp?dept=25
I've never dealt with either of those vendors, just what I found on a quick google search.
Old 10-25-2012
Registered!!

Which wires are for the Brake lights that I could tap into for the third brake light?
Old 10-26-2012

Originally Posted by SSMCivicCoupe
Which wires are for the Brake lights that I could tap into for the third brake light?
Those would be WHT/BLK and BLK.
Old 10-27-2012
Registered!!

Those would be WHT/BLK and BLK.
So I'm assuming the white/black is the power? And the black is the ground?
Old 10-28-2012

^^^ correct.

What about the wiring that went to the original 3rd light you removed ? Tap into it.
Old 11-02-2012
Registered!!

^^^ correct.

What about the wiring that went to the original 3rd light you removed ? Tap into it.
Yea I just tapped into the old wiring. Finished installing it last night and it doesnt look bad. Thanks for all the help guys. One less thing I have to worry about getting pulled over for.