I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Very off electrical issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2012
CO&CA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TFMEX is a jewel in the roughTFMEX is a jewel in the roughTFMEX is a jewel in the rough
Very off electrical issue

So The past 2 weeks at random all my cluster gauges die.... the stereo will still work even the subs.... sometimes just the sub goes off.

Things that have happened

-just the sub / amp die, happened intermittently one day.
-if I rev the engine that gets it all back up and running (worked for the past week)
-today i was driving (35mph) the gauges went off and as soon as i pressed and held the clutch they came back on, back in gear and 2 seconds later they are off, clutch in the are back on... WTF!!!! what in and out of gear have to do with it i have NO CLUE.. There is nothing on the clutch linkage (wire) that makes contact with anything....

One thing that is odd is that my farad capacitor displays an H instead of a voltage when the cluster goes off....

After about 5 mins of just driving with the gauges off, they pop back on and it stops. and I have no more on/off

Also its not all the time and I cant recreate it on command

Things I have looked at.

-The alternator is charging the battery. 14.2 volts running 12.4-12.6 when the car sits overnight which is normal.
-even when the gauge cluster "dies"
-battery cables are secure
-big 3 ground wires are good and well connected
-all connections to the amp / sub are good
- cant see any shorts anywhere in the amp power line etc.

im so confused...
Old 09-13-2012
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the rough
Re: Very off electrical issue

Originally Posted by TFMEX
So The past 2 weeks at random all my cluster gauges die.... the stereo will still work even the subs.... sometimes just the sub goes off.

Things that have happened

-just the sub / amp die, happened intermittently one day.
-if I rev the engine that gets it all back up and running (worked for the past week)
-today i was driving (35mph) the gauges went off and as soon as i pressed and held the clutch they came back on, back in gear and 2 seconds later they are off, clutch in the are back on... WTF!!!! what in and out of gear have to do with it i have NO CLUE.. There is nothing on the clutch linkage (wire) that makes contact with anything....

One thing that is odd is that my farad capacitor displays an H instead of a voltage when the cluster goes off....

After about 5 mins of just driving with the gauges off, they pop back on and it stops. and I have no more on/off

Also its not all the time and I cant recreate it on command

Things I have looked at.

-The alternator is charging the battery. 14.2 volts running 12.4-12.6 when the car sits overnight which is normal.
-even when the gauge cluster "dies"
-battery cables are secure
-big 3 ground wires are good and well connected
-all connections to the amp / sub are good
- cant see any shorts anywhere in the amp power line etc.

im so confused...
odd...check fuses and make sure the cluster ground is tight.
also double check any work u did or had done under the dash for bare wires.

if its your cluster going bad you can reset it by disconnecting the negative battery terminal, then the positive and touch the terminals together for about 5 minutes. that will reset the module inside the cluster. sometimes this fixes the problem, sometimes you need a new cluster.

by touch the terminals together i mean the physical terminals you took off the battery NOT the posts on the battery.

Last edited by pwnsauce; 09-13-2012 at 12:10 AM.
Old 09-13-2012
CO&CA

TFMEX is a jewel in the roughTFMEX is a jewel in the roughTFMEX is a jewel in the rough

where is the cluster ground?

I checked the grounds and fuses under the hood and they were all fine as far as I can tell..

Its gotta be something loose I just dont know WHAT!!! took a right turn today and the cluster dies as soon as I was straight it went back on.... my sub goes off at the same time...

i hate car electronics... mostly cause it is complicated!!!!
Old 09-13-2012
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by TFMEX
where is the cluster ground?

I checked the grounds and fuses under the hood and they were all fine as far as I can tell..

Its gotta be something loose I just dont know WHAT!!! took a right turn today and the cluster dies as soon as I was straight it went back on.... my sub goes off at the same time...

i hate car electronics... mostly cause it is complicated!!!!
lol yeah tell me about it. id pull your power wire fuse for the amp see if that changes anything.

did u check the fuses under the dash? number 9 under the hood and number 10 under the dash specifically. the cluster ground is under the dash somewhere too. sorry i dont have my 7th gen anymore or id go look, my 6th gens grounds are towards the middle of the dash grounded with a bunch of other stuff. (12v socket, radio, climate control)

if you still cant get it working right heres a link to get your cluster into diagnostics mode to test the module. or u can do the battery thing i said.
http://www.2carpros.com/questions/20...uster-problems
Old 09-14-2012
CO&CA

yeah its the cluster and the power to my sub.... I am going to do a few things this weekend. I looked at the wires under the steering wheel and wiggled everything to to avail...

Thanks for the above info. I will look into that as well.. If anyone else has some input.... I could prolly use it.