I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

2001 Civic EX rear window defroster not working

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
7beauties is an unknown quantity at this point
2001 Civic EX rear window defroster not working

The rear window defroster of my 2001 Civic EX doesn't work. Replacing the burned out fuse promptly failed. I opened a little access plate in the molding along the window and found where two wires connected to the defroster with spade connectors. One of the spade connectors was very reluctant to come off, and once it did I saw a crusty buildup. I caution everyone that the copper spade connectors of the defroster grid are very thin, bend and easily break off. This happened to me even though I was very careful. So I cut off the female spade connector of the wire, thoroughly cleaned the base of the broken male spade with sandpaper and soldered the wire to it. But I still keeps blowing fuses. Has anyone else in here had this problem? Please, how did you fix this? Thank you.
Old 09-03-2012
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Re: 2001 Civic EX rear window defroster not working

You have a short circuit... did the fuse open instantly when you turn the defroster on ?
Old 09-14-2012
Registered!!

Craig:

I'm sorry I'm late in answering as I've been slammed lately. If I try to use the defroster nothing happens and any fuse I use fails, so yes, I suppose my fuses blow right away.
Old 09-15-2012
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

A short circuit could be tough to track down for certain... It could be quite $$ in labor.

Knowing if the fuse opens when you switch the key to II... or when you push the defrost button will sort of cut it into 2 sections.
Old 09-16-2012
Registered!!

I have been turning the engine on and then pressing the defroster button. I didn't occur to me to check the fuse after just turning the key to auxiliary power to see if the fuse blows. I'll try to narrow this down. Thank you.