I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Headlight/Key left in Ignition Warning Beep Broken

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jmon22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Headlight/Key left in Ignition Warning Beep Broken

Have a little problem w/ my '03 Civic, as you see from the topic, my warning beep/alarm whatever you want to call it quit working. The Honda dealer wants $90 just to look at it which I obviously don't want to pay.

Anyone else have any idea what would be the next thing to look at? Thanks!!

Update and Cliffs:

-Dome light works fine when I open the door, it is not the door switch

-All of the fuses under the dash and under the hood checked out fine

-It does beep at me when I turn it on with no seatbelt on

-It will not beep when I leave the keys in the ignition or leave the lights on

Last edited by jmon22; 05-14-2012 at 08:26 PM.
Old 05-14-2012
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Headlight/Key left in Ignition Warning Beep Broken

make sure you check ALL the fuses under the hood and under the dash. if they are good, it could be parts of the multiplex unit (mcu) went bad. it is self correcting, so if one part breaks the other functions will still work. it could also be the beeper in the gauges died.
Old 05-14-2012
Registered!!

I checked all under the hood, I will check all under the dash tonight. If those are all good, does anyone know how to run the test to check the buzzer itself? I believe it tells you in the shop manual.

If I find out something is wrong with it, I believe it would just be easier to throw a new one in like this...

http://www.hondacivicwagon.com/bb/vi...p?f=10&t=13464
Old 05-14-2012
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

there is a gauge diagnostic mode but it only tests the needle motions, not the buzzer. if the buzzer beeps when you start the car with no seatbelt on, it is working okay. then the problem is with the multiplex unit.
Old 05-14-2012
Registered!!

Gotcha. I don't remember hearing the buzzer still working then either, but I will check when I get home. So if none of the sounds work the problem is with the buzzer? If so, is it easier to replace it or add a new one like in the link above?

Thanks a bunch!!
Old 05-14-2012
Premium Member

well if you can find a used gauge cluster on ebay with the same mileage, it would be easiest to swap another one in. otherwise yeah the diy buzzer you posted should work.
Old 05-14-2012
Registered!!

Fiance got home so I checked the car out. Here is what else I found:

-All of the fuses checked out fine

-It does beep at me when I turn it on with no seatbelt on

-It will not beep when I leave the keys in the ignition or leave the lights on

Is this for sure a problem with that part of the cluster that I cannot fix without replacing it? If so I will hit up Radio Shack tomorrow for a cheap Peizo buzzer.
Old 05-15-2012
Premium Member

seems the beeper is fine then (if it beeps for seatbelt). there is only one in the cluster. sounds more like mcu problem and in that case its way cheaper to do the diy. those multiplex units are not cheap.
Old 05-15-2012
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the rough

if that beeper stopped working in my car id cry. i hate that thing.

but i can see where it would suck if u left ur keys in ur car often.
Old 05-15-2012
Registered!!

My fiance already drained the battery once and had to call AAA.

Is there any chance this could of happened from an oil change and tire rotation I got done on the car on the 6th? I am not sure exactly when it started but it was definitely around that time. Could they have damaged the MCU somehow? Would love to go yell at them to fix it if I can.
Old 05-15-2012
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Not related to recent service.

You could make a headlight on warning setup pretty easy with a visit to RS.

Won't help with key in ignition though.
Old 02-18-2013
Registered!!

drnet is an unknown quantity at this point

My problem (dome light shutoff and headlight buzzer both inactive) involved a mispalced driver's door "switch" and easily solved by watching this video -
- woo hoo!
Old 02-19-2013

CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Pretty common, looks like the plunger/actuator fell out or stuck in.
Old 02-19-2013
Registered!!

danwat12345 has a spectacular aura aboutdanwat12345 has a spectacular aura about

Yes but OP says "-Dome light works fine when I open the door, it is not the door switch"
Old 02-19-2013

Originally Posted by danwat12345
Yes but OP says "-Dome light works fine when I open the door, it is not the door switch"
I think some CRV owners had similar situation that ended up needing the MICU replaced.
Old 02-19-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I see that old thread is old, and OP is probably long gone (Last Activity: 05-15-2012).

Since I almost never see DX cars, I'll ask: Are they even equipped with the headlight reminder?
Old 02-20-2013
Registered!!

danwat12345 has a spectacular aura aboutdanwat12345 has a spectacular aura about

@ezone, 6th gen DX, yes, constant on if key out and door open and headlights on. Not if headlights on, door open and ignition on. Not sure but don't think so if headlights on, door open, key in ignition but ignition off, then just short beeps (leaving key in the car - alarm)
So in summary (i'm half asleep) for 6th gen DX; 3 beep patterns; For seatbelts, key left in turned the off ignition and headlights on with door open with key out of ignition

Last edited by danwat12345; 02-20-2013 at 02:08 AM.
Old 12-08-2014
Registered!!

tovarishch is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello, I have exact same problem with my 2004 Civic.
Were you able to fix the problem?
Appreciate any help.
Old 02-01-2018
Registered!!

Naevulle is an unknown quantity at this point

I know this is an old thread but I am having an issue with my 99 civic with the headlight warning buzzer, dome light, and driver side door. I have already replaced the driver side door jamb switch and the stuff still does not work. The dome light works fine with the passenger door. I do not have a buzzer that comes on for the seat belt, key or anything atm. Any ideas? Thanks.