I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Weird Sound coming out of Subwoofers

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NCCivicNoob is an unknown quantity at this point
Weird Sound coming out of Subwoofers

What could I do about this? I put the car in the acc pos. and no extra sound comes out just clean bass, but when i put it in run and in start, i can hear the sound of the "idle" coming out of the subs . I was told to get better ground but it just helped a little... anyone have a solution?
Old 03-20-2012
"Come to terms with your slow *** whip"

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
rjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the rough
Re: Weird Sound coming out of Subwoofers

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/wirin...whine-fix.html You could try that if you happen to have a pioneer HU. This can also happen if your RCA's arent shielded and are running next your power wire. Try separating the two if they're not already. What you're experiencing is called alternator whine so if none of these suggestions work just google that and there will be plenty of other solutuions.
Old 03-20-2012
Naturally Aspirated

513EM1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rjones7755
http://www.caraudio.com/forums/wirin...whine-fix.html You could try that if you happen to have a pioneer HU. This can also happen if your RCA's arent shielded and are running next your power wire. Try separating the two if they're not already. What you're experiencing is called alternator whine so if none of these suggestions work just google that and there will be plenty of other solutuions.
rjones is right. Having the rca and power wire next to each other will cause that unpleasant sound. Also, one of the best places to have a secure ground, is on one of the bolts of your rear strut assembly. Pull the carpet back, sand down the paint, and crank her tight.
Old 03-20-2012
EM2ti

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
maxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of light

Pick up a ground loop isolator or a noise filter, if re-grounding doesn't fix it. Sounds like you have numerous accessories, a low end head unit or amplifier (or combination of all three). Most mid to high end components have built in filters. Check Ebay. Watch out for low end cap/inductor filters that only remove a portion of the AC sine wave or adversely affect fidelity. Look for solid state or FET based filters, they work better, but are a bit more expensive. If you are running a high current system, you may need more than one filter, or you can opt for the ground loop isolator. Alternator/Battery filters used to be popular, but I don't think these are still available.
Old 03-20-2012
Registered!!

Hardcoresteve is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 513EM1
rjones is right. Having the rca and power wire next to each other will cause that unpleasant sound. Also, one of the best places to have a secure ground, is on one of the bolts of your rear strut assembly. Pull the carpet back, sand down the paint, and crank her tight.
can always ground to the seatbelt stud. I used to work for an audio shop, and they had me ground to the center seatbelt's bolt. Otherwise prob a junk rca cable or headunit. Just my two cents
Old 11-02-2012
Registered!!

Sorry guys for the "no replys" but Ive been busy with LIFE! But thanks for the advise I sure will look into these things, Thanks again!
Old 03-30-2013
Registered!!

For people that care....... I used one of the nuts on the right strut. loosened up until I had enough room to sand down and sanded it down pretty good. Tightened up the nut, and worked like a charm! Every now and then I get the noise but that is usually when I first start the car in cold weather (wierd or noT)