I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

sufficient bass with upgraded speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stewartfan is an unknown quantity at this point
sufficient bass with upgraded speakers?

Lately, the rattle coming from my rear deck has been aggravating me, so I decided I want to remove it and do some work to fix that, so I decided that since I'll have the rear deck off, and I have some money that's been burning a hole in my pocket, I might as well upgrade the stock speakers. Currently, i have the stock speakers hooked up to my Pioneer HU, but I have no plans to purchase or install an amp or sub, so I'm wondering if upgraded speakers would produce at least the same amount of bass as the stockers in this configuration. Truthfully, the sound quality is good IMO, but since I'm removing the rear deck, I might as well upgrade the speakers while I'm at it. I'm looking to get 6x9s for the rear and some 6.5s for the front, but like I said, I dont want to lose any bass response. My reasoning behind this idea is that the stock speakers are meant to have whatever sound quality they do have, without an amp or sub, and that most aftermarket speakers are made to work off of an amp or along with a sub. Also, I upgraded the speakers in my mom's car with some pioneer 6.5s connected directly to her HU and they had literally no bass; really good highs, but no bass whatsoever. So I'm looking for people who've had upgraded speakers connected directly to their HU. Im not really looking to spend more than $200 for all 4. Thanks in advance for your input!
Old 02-10-2012
Registered!!

kbook has a spectacular aura aboutkbook has a spectacular aura aboutkbook has a spectacular aura about
Re: sufficient bass with upgraded speakers?

When I drive the 04 Sedan. I had JVC HD radio HU (22w rms x 4) driving a pair of polk db650 (2 way in the front) and a pair of db6500 component with stupid tweeters. No ext amp.

Speakers are 4 ohm and the sensitivity is around 92 db

http://www.polkaudio.com/caraudio/specs/recent/db650/

IMO, aftermarket speakers have less bass than the OEM in term of loudness. I mean the OEM produce low frequency at higher level than my polk. However, my polk produced a lot better low frequency (down to 40Hz newer one is rated about 50Hz) but you have to crank the vol up higher or adjust the equalizer at the lower band up more.

The root cause came from the engine noise. Low frequency get interfered easier than hight freq so you might have to add the amp or you have to make sure you damp the car so it keep the road noise out. When I played CD without turning the engine on. It definitely sound great with a good bass. But it won't match the subwoofer anyway.

You might have to look at the speaker that rated 2 ohm and 92 db and the amp in the HU should be able to drive them easier and you can hear the bass louder. I haven't had experience using any 2 ohm speakers nor planning to add subwoofer so in short you will expect the better bass but you will hardly hear it when you drive on the highway

To recap:
2 ohm speaker will be the good helper. higher number of sensitivity like 92 db will allow amp to drive speakers easier. If you can lower the road/engine noise from coming into the cabin, that will help also. Buy the speaker can response to lower freq like 40Hz or less.

Just my opinion. Good Luck.
Old 02-10-2012
Registered!!

raigen18 is on a distinguished road

from my experience, you tend to lose a considerable amount of bass compared to stock when you upgrade to aftermarket speakers without changing the head unit or adding an amp. you will notice a huge improvement in terms of clarity but bass will suffer.

i suggest that you should upgrade the stock head unit as well if you plan on changing the stock speakers. a $100 aftermarket deck will be a huge improvement over the stock one and should be adequate enough to power aftermarket speakers.
Old 02-10-2012
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by raigen18
from my experience, you tend to lose a considerable amount of bass compared to stock when you upgrade to aftermarket speakers without changing the head unit or adding an amp. you will notice a huge improvement in terms of clarity but bass will suffer.
This

Originally Posted by kbook
When I drive the 04 Sedan. I had JVC HD radio HU (22w rms x 4) driving a pair of polk db650 (2 way in the front) and a pair of db6500 component with stupid tweeters. No ext amp.

IMO, aftermarket speakers have less bass than the OEM in term of loudness. I mean the OEM produce low frequency at higher level than my polk. However, my polk produced a lot better low frequency (down to 40Hz newer one is rated about 50Hz) but you have to crank the vol up higher or adjust the equalizer at the lower band up more.

The root cause came from the engine noise. Low frequency get interfered easier than hight freq so you might have to add the amp or you have to make sure you damp the car so it keep the road noise out. When I played CD without turning the engine on. It definitely sound great with a good bass. But it won't match the subwoofer anyway.

You might have to look at the speaker that rated 2 ohm and 92 db and the amp in the HU should be able to drive them easier and you can hear the bass louder. I haven't had experience using any 2 ohm speakers nor planning to add subwoofer so in short you will expect the better bass but you will hardly hear it when you drive on the highway

To recap:
2 ohm speaker will be the good helper. higher number of sensitivity like 92 db will allow amp to drive speakers easier. If you can lower the road/engine noise from coming into the cabin, that will help also. Buy the speaker can response to lower freq like 40Hz or less.

I run the Polk db's as well, and I can account for what he says
However, I chose the Polks for a reason, high end midrange and higher frequency sounds MUCH better on these speakers PLUS, I had a SUB, so I don't need the bass from my speakers. (and so I have High pass filter set on my HU so they don't produce as much bass)

If I were to suggest bass-y type speakers, I would have went with the infinity's since they were one of my options, they produced much better bass output than the Polks, but were lacking in the highs and midrange.
So it really depends on what you want, unless you're ready to dish out bigger $$ for higher quality speakers powered by amps.

My recommendations for that price range would either go to infinity, or rockford fosgate
Old 02-10-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by kbook

To recap:

Thanks a lot for all of that info!

Originally Posted by raigen18

i suggest that you should upgrade the stock head unit as well if you plan on changing the stock speakers. a $100 aftermarket deck will be a huge improvement over the stock one and should be adequate enough to power aftermarket speakers.
I stated in the OP that I have sa Pioneer HU, it's not an amazing one but it gets the job done (DEH-7300BT). Sound quality is substantially better with stock speakers than the stock HU. I really like the amount of bass in my current setup; a lot of people think I have a sub when they're in my car, and I prefer my sound quality over my mom's, whose highs are awesome, but there's way too much bass with a 12 in the trunk. When I drive her car, I always turn the bass down to a level closer to that of my speakers.

Originally Posted by Kennykid2002
This

I run the Polk db's as well, and I can account for what he says
However, I chose the Polks for a reason, high end midrange and higher frequency sounds MUCH better on these speakers PLUS, I had a SUB, so I don't need the bass from my speakers. (and so I have High pass filter set on my HU so they don't produce as much bass)

If I were to suggest bass-y type speakers, I would have went with the infinity's since they were one of my options, they produced much better bass output than the Polks, but were lacking in the highs and midrange.
So it really depends on what you want, unless you're ready to dish out bigger $$ for higher quality speakers powered by amps.

My recommendations for that price range would either go to infinity, or rockford fosgate
Ok thanks, I'll look into that.
Old 02-10-2012
Registered!!

So I've looked on Crutchfield to see whether or not there are Infinity/Rockford Fosgate speakers that'll fit my car. So far, it doesn't seem like there are many if any at all. Are there some on CF that will fit without modification even if they say they won't?
Old 02-11-2012
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

All 6.5" will fit the doors
and 6"x9" (Low profile) will fit the rear deck
Old 02-11-2012
Registered!!

kbook has a spectacular aura aboutkbook has a spectacular aura aboutkbook has a spectacular aura about

Kennykid2002,

I love the sound of DB650 and the 6500. However, I sold them both already and I missed their sound though.

stewartfan,

Infinity tweeter will provide clear high due to the different type of material used. (I believe Infinity uses a titanium dome tweeter but Polk uses silk soft dome so it produces softer high freq)

Bestbuy might have lots of speakers that you can, at least, listen to theirs sounds before you make a decision. Even though the listening environment sucks, but it's better that you can hear and compare before you invest
Old 02-11-2012
Registered!!

got2run5 will become famous soon enoughgot2run5 will become famous soon enough

I have no amp, a pioneer deck, and the bass with 2 infinty reference 6x9 two ways is better than stock. Not by a ton--but like others said it's a lot clearer. Don't go out and buy the same speakers though b/c they were a pain to make fit. When you do buy, don't buy off crutchfield, buy off amazon. It's a lot cheaper.
Old 02-11-2012
Registered!!

itzsleepy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by got2run5
I have no amp, a pioneer deck, and the bass with 2 infinty reference 6x9 two ways is better than stock. Not by a ton--but like others said it's a lot clearer. Don't go out and buy the same speakers though b/c they were a pain to make fit. When you do buy, don't buy off crutchfield, buy off amazon. It's a lot cheaper.
Buying off crutchfield is not a bad idea. They have a very good customer service, not saying amazon is bad. But, i had an amp that blew out 4 years after I got it and I called crutchfield up and they sent another one free of charge and I sent back the old one. So you have to remember, its not always the cheaper price but the quality of the customer service.
Old 02-11-2012
Kenny the Ricer

Originally Posted by itzsleepy
Buying off crutchfield is not a bad idea. They have a very good customer service, not saying amazon is bad. But, i had an amp that blew out 4 years after I got it and I called crutchfield up and they sent another one free of charge and I sent back the old one. So you have to remember, its not always the cheaper price but the quality of the customer service.
This
Old 02-12-2012
Registered!!

Ok, well where to buy my speakers isn't really the problem, however, I've done some research and I could get all four speakers for ~$120 and if I order them soon, I'll get free 2-Day shipping cause I have the free trial of Amazon Prime. Basically, I'd like to go with Infinity References, 6032cf front, and 9632cf rear. There aren't any shallow-mount 6x9s that seem worth buying, so I'm wondering what it would take to get the 9632cfs to fit into the rear deck?
Old 02-12-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by stewartfan
Ok, well where to buy my speakers isn't really the problem, however, I've done some research and I could get all four speakers for ~$120 and if I order them soon, I'll get free 2-Day shipping cause I have the free trial of Amazon Prime. Basically, I'd like to go with Infinity References, 6032cf front, and 9632cf rear. There aren't any shallow-mount 6x9s that seem worth buying, so I'm wondering what it would take to get the 9632cfs to fit into the rear deck?
Since its a 6x9 coaxial speaker, it should just drop right into the deck space. you dont have to get a bracket for it since the bass wont be so big of a difference. Just use some dynamat and cover the rear deck say about up to 6 inches out from the hole and drop in the speaker and mount. But if you want a bracket check out metra's bracket, they are about 10 dollars for the pair and you can wrap it with dynamat before installing the speaker. IMO that is just over kill.
Old 02-12-2012
Registered!!

Those are exactly what I put in the back. They come with 1/2 inch spacers that you will HAVE to use. I also jacked up one of the holes in each with a washer. Then I had to dremel the plastic lip on the underside of the rear deck that surrounds the stock speaker. After all that, the speakers fit--kinda. I have 1/4 in of space between the tweeter part of the speaker and the plastic grill on the rear deck over the speaker. I have NO clearance for the trunk spring. Sometimes the spring barely scrapes over the speaker bottom and sometimes it barely clears it. So if you put these in--either you will have to do what I did or you will have to take out your trunk springs. Also--once you put the spacer in you will no longer be able to fit the rear screw in. Not only will you need longer screws, you will only be able to fit 3 screws in each speaker since there is no room between the rear window and the speaker to fit a screw or a bit. Mine are held in by 3 screws and I have no rattling. As long as they are tight I don't think you should have a problem.
Old 02-12-2012
Kenny the Ricer

You'd either need a speaker bracket, or a spacer, or remove your trunk springs
Old 02-12-2012
Registered!!

my bad for the wrong info. The last time i used a 6x9 speaker was in my first eg coupe, it probably was different cause it was drop in unless the magnet on my speaker was small enough i didnt need to modify anything. Again this was at least 7 years go.
Old 02-15-2012
Registered!!

So, I ordered 4 Infinity speakers for my car, and I was wondering if it's possible for me to install them without buying anything other than what it comes with. Will I need to buy an adapter harness? Or can I make it work without one? And will it come with spacers or will I have to make some? I suddenly feel like I've gotten myself into more than I bargained for.
Old 02-15-2012
Registered!!

I posted a whole paragraph explaining everything you would have to do just for the rear speakers. And you WILL have to do this b/c I installed the exact speakers.

Those are exactly what I put in the back. They come with 1/2 inch spacers that you will HAVE to use. I also jacked up one of the holes in each with a washer. Then I had to dremel the plastic lip on the underside of the rear deck that surrounds the stock speaker. After all that, the speakers fit--kinda. I have 1/4 in of space between the tweeter part of the speaker and the plastic grill on the rear deck over the speaker. I have NO clearance for the trunk spring. Sometimes the spring barely scrapes over the speaker bottom and sometimes it barely clears it. So if you put these in--either you will have to do what I did or you will have to take out your trunk springs. Also--once you put the spacer in you will no longer be able to fit the rear screw in. Not only will you need longer screws, you will only be able to fit 3 screws in each speaker since there is no room between the rear window and the speaker to fit a screw or a bit. Mine are held in by 3 screws and I have no rattling. As long as they are tight I don't think you should have a problem.
For the fronts, infinity is still too big and I believe you need like a 3/4 in spacer.
Old 02-15-2012
Registered!!

Ok, thanks. What about the adapter though? Can I just strip the wires and wrap them around the prongs of the speakers and then electrical tape them?
Old 02-15-2012
Registered!!

No way. Get some correct connectors from your local hardware store. There is a DIY for front speakers floating around here somewhere that will show you how to wire stuff without ruining the stock harness.
Old 02-15-2012
Registered!!

Btw, working slow and being careful, it took me 7 hours or so to install the rears. Be prepared for that. People could do it a little faster, but this was my first time cutting plastic on my car. Plus I didn't break any clips.
Old 02-15-2012
Registered!!

Here's the picture of the crimp-type connector that I bought when I worked on for my speaker cable that I use for my rear speakers.

Basically, This one is 1/4" wide. I probably need someone to confirm since I sold the car already. This fit the hole of the Honda speaker connectors and on another side of the wire, you can crimp the female connector so it can hold to the speaker terminal. Crimping is fast so I recommended.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	crimpconnector.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	82577  
Old 02-15-2012
Registered!!

So, feeling a bit overwhelmed, I decided to shop around and see how much it would cost to have the speakers professionally installed, and the best quote I got was $60 for all 4, but I got cut off while I was talking to the dude so I didn't get the chance to explain that it can be quite intensive to get the rear speakers to fit, and how easy it is to create an annoying rattle situation if the rear deck isn't handled properly. If he keeps that price, it's worth it to me, because I'm looking at about $20 for both harness adaptors, and $16 for 1" spacers for the front speakers (which I was going to ask, will that work for what I'm doing?) and plus all the work, etc. that goes along with the installation. So, it seems like it won't be too bad as long as he doesn't go back on that price. The only thing is once he gets the rear deck off, I'll want to put a strip of foam along the back to get rid of the rattling I'm experiencing now.
Old 02-15-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by stewartfan
So, feeling a bit overwhelmed, I decided to shop around and see how much it would cost to have the speakers professionally installed, and the best quote I got was $60 for all 4, but I got cut off while I was talking to the dude so I didn't get the chance to explain that it can be quite intensive to get the rear speakers to fit, and how easy it is to create an annoying rattle situation if the rear deck isn't handled properly. If he keeps that price, it's worth it to me, because I'm looking at about $20 for both harness adaptors, and $16 for 1" spacers for the front speakers (which I was going to ask, will that work for what I'm doing?) and plus all the work, etc. that goes along with the installation. So, it seems like it won't be too bad as long as he doesn't go back on that price. The only thing is once he gets the rear deck off, I'll want to put a strip of foam along the back to get rid of the rattling I'm experiencing now.

$60 is not bad, but its really simple to install speakers. It takes less than half an hour to rip the rear apart without breaking tabs. Once that is out, everything else is pretty simple. If you live around where I live, I would do it for over a weekend when I install my speakers. I am in Brooklyn, NY. It should take 1-2 hours tops if you read the DIY.

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2...all-coupe.html
Old 02-15-2012
Registered!!

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-MFTompt...sterSheet.html

Here is another link, you can just call that number and crutchfield will send you a copy of their mastersheet as well, it has step by step instructions. I know there is a pdf floating around somewhere on this forum but I cant seem to find it. (I got my mastersheet from another user that posted it up)
Old 02-15-2012
Registered!!

It takes less than half an hour to rip the rear apart without breaking tabs.
It takes that long to get the pieces off if you know what you're doing and you've done it 5 times already. Even then that's a major stretch. $60 isn't bad at all but I'd be willing to bet that they won't install the speakers since they don't fit without cutting. I also think that you'll probably have a rattle when they're done with it. You can do it yourself, there are step by step instructions. Just make sure you have a day set aside for it.

Here is the DIY. Click Me

And this DIY actually has working pictures.

Last edited by got2run5; 02-15-2012 at 10:08 PM. Reason: Update link
Old 02-15-2012
Registered!!

You also don't need to buy harness adapters. You can make your own. Look at the DIY for front speaker install and that shows how to make your own. And 1 inch spacer should probably work for the fronts. If it doesn't, go with a little smaller or you might have to cut some plastic.
Old 02-16-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by got2run5
It takes that long to get the pieces off if you know what you're doing and you've done it 5 times already.

Correction, I just got this car and only ripped out the rear once and put it back together for this car. Yes I had stripped a lot of cars before to do full systems, but I remember even my first time on a 240sx, it only took me 3 hours to remove everything, seats, carpets and panels to put in a full system, 2 amps, 4 speakers and 2 subs. Putting things back together takes up most of the time. But if you have simple knowledge of how to use a wrench and screw driver, it takes very little time to remove stuff. Its only time consuming when u want everything to look pretty when re-installing.
Old 02-17-2012
Registered!!

So, it took me almost 7 hours to do, but I finally got the speakers installed. A little more work than I thought it would be, and I broke some of the clips, but I'm happy with this experience over all. If I could go back, I'd probably stick to just upgrading the front speakers, because that would have given me the results I wanted without all of the hassle of the rears cause the highs are better, but that's really only significant to the people sitting in the back seat. Now, I have to find some spacers in town so I can install the front speakers tomorrow. I hate living in a small town.
Old 02-17-2012
Kenny the Ricer

Lol, I just removed the rear speakers all together

I dont really have people sitting in the back, and if they do, they say my fronts are good enough

Quick Reply: sufficient bass with upgraded speakers?