I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

02 civic ex keyless entry bypass

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EM202 is an unknown quantity at this point
02 civic ex keyless entry bypass

I have an 02 ex, and speaking with my dealership and audio shop, they both said my 02 has keyless entry. They said without the factory radio, it can be a PITA to bypass. Was wondering if anyone knew of an easy way to bypass it to have an aftermarket system to allow it to all work. couldn't find anything in search. has a Viper 791VX Alarm/RS/KE. thanks
Old 12-31-2011
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 02 civic ex keyless entry bypass

EX has factory keyless. I'm sure you can still buy remotes for it from a dealer.
It has immobilizer.
It may or may not have anti theft. (I don't remember if it was factory or a dealer installed option.) Easy enough to see if it has an alarm, roll down a window and lock the doors. Wait a minute. Open the door from the inside.

The radio has its own anti theft and has nothing to do with the rest of the car.
A good alarm/aftermarket electronics installer should be able to figure this out without guessing. I don't think that's who you talked to.

The keyless operates through the multiplex unit.
The keyless control unit uses a single wire to communicate with the multiplex system. (Honda site doesn't give useful info about what signals are used on the single wire between the keyless unit and the multiplex unit.)
The multiplex system operates the lock actuators.
The multiplex system operates the factory alarm. If it has a dealer installed security system, it is still tied into the multiplex system on several circuits.

Dealers don't normally touch aftermarket stuff like this.
I don't deal with aftermarket stuff.
Maybe you can find a different remote start that will work with your car, and keep the factory keyless and alarm (if equipped) setup?
Old 01-01-2012
Registered!!

Not sure about factory alarm since I don't have any remotes. I just bought this car in the beginning of September, and got no remotes with it, just one key. It has a viper alarm system already installed, so I'm guessing it doesnt have the factory alarm. I am going to buy a remote for the viper and have it all reprogrammed, but it sounds like the keyless entry on either the viper or factory unit isnt going to work since I put an aftermarket cd player in it. Im not worried bout any of the factory units (keyless entry or alarm if installed) work, just that the viper system works. The viper system has alarm, remote start, and keyless entry. I just really dont want to go back to the factory HU if I can help it, and I only want one key fob.
Old 01-01-2012

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EM202
Not sure about factory alarm since I don't have any remotes.
I just dug through the parts catalog, it looks to me like a USA EX car was factory equipped with both alarm and keyless.

You shouldn't need the fob to make the alarm work, just roll the drivers window down, lock the doors with the power lock button, and shut the door.
Wait 60 seconds.
Reach in the open window and unlock the door.
If it has the alarm and it is still functioning, it will go off.
Unlock the door with the key to shut it off.
I just bought this car in the beginning of September, and got no remotes with it, just one key.
Dealer can get fobs (if you care) and keys (you should care). The Immobilizer must be programmed for new keys.
A very well equipped lock shop might be able to program keys also (none here can, "dealer only" for all key programming, and cutting sidewinder type keys).

It has a viper alarm system already installed, so I'm guessing it doesnt have the factory alarm.
Installers don't usually go to all the trouble. Installers stuff these in the fastest way they know how. They "Piggyback" the new alarm install right over the factory stuff. The factory stuff wouldn't be removed. It MIGHT be disabled though.

I am going to buy a remote for the viper and have it all reprogrammed, but it sounds like the keyless entry on either the viper or factory unit isnt going to work
I see plenty of the cars come in with multiple fobs, and they all work. You don't know until you try it. ALL you know right now is you don't have any fobs.

since I put an aftermarket cd player in it. Im not worried bout any of the factory units (keyless entry or alarm if installed) work
The radio install has NOTHING to do with any of this.
The factory radio is NOT CONNECTED TO ANY ALARM, IN ANY WAY.

Whoever told you about this was thinking of much older Civics. Not yours. Quit thinking this.

just that the viper system works. The viper system has alarm, remote start, and keyless entry.
Fine. Get a fob and see if it all works.

I just really dont want to go back to the factory HU if I can help it,

The radio has NOTHING to do with any of this.
Whoever told you about this was thinking of much older Civics. Not yours. Quit thinking this.

and I only want one key fob.
You ought to get a pair. One will eventually break and get lost.
Old 01-02-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
The radio has NOTHING to do with any of this.
I wasn't talking about the factory alarm on this. The keyless entry is my only concern here. The Viper alarm works, just need to get the remote. With the viper, I want to use its keyless entry and not the factory. From the Honda dealer directly stated "The keyless entry runs through the factory radio. Without the factory radio, it is hard to get the keyless entry to work." They are not sure how to make it work with an aftermarket radio. So, my concern, will the Viper keyless entry work without the factory radio or not, since it is an aftermarket system and not factory installed. If not, how do I bypass it. My Viper dealer is unsure on this and said the same as the Honda dealer.

Dealer can get fobs (if you care) and keys (you should care). The Immobilizer must be programmed for new keys.
A very well equipped lock shop might be able to program keys also (none here can, "dealer only" for all key programming, and cutting sidewinder type keys).
I bought the car from a used car lot, and not from a Honda dealership, so they didn't want to do anything with making another key or getting a key fob. But yes, I do know that the keys, and key fobs can be purchased from the Honda dealership and that they need to be programed. I will be getting a spare key from them really soon. The key fob that I am getting is going to be from my Viper dealer for the Viper system. I do not plan on using the factory system. Going to be getting the Viper remote in the next few weeks. Just trying to make sure its all gonna work before I go and spend $130 on it and programing.

You shouldn't need the fob to make the alarm work, just roll the drivers window down, lock the doors with the power lock button, and shut the door.
Wait 60 seconds.
Reach in the open window and unlock the door.
A question on this thats not regarding the alarm. If the driver door is open, it wont lock. My old EG was the same way. Is there any way to disable this? But I will check the factory alarm that way.

Last edited by EM202; 01-02-2012 at 02:44 AM.
Old 01-02-2012

From the Honda dealer directly stated "The keyless entry runs through the factory radio. Without the factory radio, it is hard to get the keyless entry to work."\

The dealer (whoever you talked to) is just plain wrong.
The radio has absolutely nothing to do with the keyless nor the factory alarm on your car.

The Viper will work normally with or without any radio (if the Viper even works at all....wonder why someone lost the remote for it?).

I have stared at the wiring diagram for your car.
Both keyless and alarm, no matter if they are factory or dealer installed are completely separate and totally independent of the radio.

The radio, factory or aftermarket, or completely missing, will not affect the Viper install.

Older models of Civic had the vehicle security system embedded in the radio, not yours. The last model year that had that was 2000.

I bought the car from a used car lot, and not from a Honda dealership, so they didn't want to do anything with making another key or getting a key fob.
Of course not, that cuts into their profit from the sale.

The key fob that I am getting is going to be from my Viper dealer for the Viper system. I do not plan on using the factory system. Going to be getting the Viper remote in the next few weeks. Just trying to make sure its all gonna work before I go and spend $130 on it and programing.
That's all fine, I'm trying to get you to understand about the radio having absolutely nothing to do with anything regarding alarms or keyless.

A question on this thats not regarding the alarm. If the driver door is open, it wont lock. My old EG was the same way. Is there any way to disable this? But I will check the factory alarm that way.
Open the door.
Pull the inside handle out. <--this is what you missed
Push the lock button.
Door locks.
Let go of the inside handle.
Slam door.
Designed that way, you can't change it. Drivers door only.
The majority of Hondas for many many years have been this way.
It's to make you think twice before locking your keys in the car.

Also, if the "key in" switch on the steering column thinks a key is inserted, it will try to keep you from locking the doors while open (power locks).
Old 01-03-2012
Registered!!

[/b]The radio, factory or aftermarket, or completely missing, will not affect the Viper install.
Ok

[/b]Of course not, that cuts into their profit from the sale.
Yeah, I knew they wouldnt, although they did replace the tires and a few other things I asked for, but 2 weeks later the shop they used went out of service...

[/b]Pull the inside handle out. <--this is what you missed
Yes it is, I did try the outer handle cuz I know a few older cars require that one, but didnt think about the other.I tried the locks to check the alarm and I do believe its disabled.

Thank you
Old 01-03-2012

but 2 weeks later the shop they used went out of service...
Car lots want everything done as cheap as possible. A shop will go broke doing discount service like that. Gotta have profit to survive.

I tried the locks to check the alarm and I do believe its disabled.
Disconecting the hood latch switch wires was an easy way to disable the factory alarm. Just a thought.