I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

whos got aftermarket alarms??

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2011
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the rough
whos got aftermarket alarms??

anyone using a viper or somethin?
anyone without power locks got one?

im lookin for somethin at the least with a shock sensor and starter kill and a remote for panic. oh and a LOUD A** speaker lol

since i dont have power locks how hard do you guys think it would be to install?
i wanna do it myself

any recommended brands/models?
Old 12-23-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold
Re: whos got aftermarket alarms??

your also going to need a immobiliser bypass. i wouldn't recommend trying it yourself have a professional do it.
Old 12-23-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

i had viper for 8 yrs, recently took it out cause alarms are useless. and i have nothing of value in the car.
Old 12-23-2011
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pwnsauce

im lookin for somethin ....... and starter kill
You already have the Immobilizer. The engine canNOT run without the correct key. It does not matter if someone rips the ignition switch out and turns it with a screwdriver, if the correct key isn't seen then the PCM won't allow it to run.

You only need an immobilizer bypass if you want a remote start.

A professional car thief will use a tow truck and take the entire car.
Old 12-23-2011
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

or they will bring their own ecu and key
Old 12-24-2011
Registered!!

pwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by ezone
You already have the Immobilizer. The engine canNOT run without the correct key.

Lol my bad i completely forgot. But i still want something with a shock sensor with small and large impact detection. And sensors on the doors and trunk.
Old 12-24-2011
Registered!!

lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

if i was in the market for an alarm i would get this
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...ble-Combo.html
its made by the VIPER company and has a lifetime warranty.

Last edited by lowlife9; 12-24-2011 at 07:09 AM.
Old 12-24-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
random will become famous soon enoughrandom will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by gearbox
i had viper for 8 yrs, recently took it out cause alarms are useless. and i have nothing of value in the car.
Does this mean you leave your car doors unlocked?

I wouldn't say that alarms are useless. I do agree that an alarm is useless against thieves who are determined enough to break into and/or steal your car. What alarms are good for is to provide enough of a deterrent for a certain class of thieves. The thieves who are the ******-and-grab type are looking for crimes of opportunity. By keeping valuables out of sight, locking your car doors, and having an audible alarm, that removes a certainly amount of opportunity and repels a certain class of thieves. For the ones that are hell bent on breaking into your car, nothing will prevent that 5-pound rock or brick from going through your window.
Old 12-24-2011
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by random
nothing will prevent that 5-pound rock or brick from going through your window.
Yeah, it doesn't even have to be a thief.

Vandals will be 2 blocks away before anyone can look out their windows. All the alarm did now is let everyone on your block know that someone hates you.

Happens far too often around here, and they like to hit 20 cars at a time. Just drive down a random street with a pellet gun or something and take out windows for fun. In the freeeeeeeezzzzing weather too.
Old 12-24-2011
Premium Member

i lock them, altho im really tempted not to. if you get to really know the criminal world, most people do not go looking for cars to steal, esp not 01-05 civics. majority of thieves are only looking to get in the car, look around, and bag some nice things like gps/radio/money/camera whatever is left in the car. that being said, i would much rather have them simply open the door and poke around, rather than costing me a $500 window and possibly all sorts of other damage to the door and locks, possibly costing thousands to fix, just so they can see there is nothing worth stealing. the only things in the car that can actually be taken is the spare tire, a garage door opener, and a really old cell phone. oh and $5 bill emergency money. i never keep anything in plain view, there is no radio, so i feel pretty safe locking doors knowing only an idiot would break into a car with no radio.

i can break into a car with alarm in maybe 10 secs (without any damage to the door), then another 10 secs i can disable the siren. another 20 secs i can bypass the starter kill, and if i wanted to sit there for a minute swapping ecus, i could drive the car away (again with no damage to the car). alarms are simply a short term noisemaker nobody even cares about anymore. i would never look at a car with a siren going crazy. i just think to myself, "another person who doesnt know how to work their alarm and is causing a disturbance." if you want a low level theft deterrent, go to radio shack and get a blinking LED light for $2. but even that is iffy, because then you are making it more obvious that you car has something inside worth protecting. whenever i see a blinking light, i always go over and peek in the windows to see whats so special that you can see the light from two blocks away. usually the car has all sorts of stuff on the seats. many thieves will use blinking leds as a shopping guide and leave the ones without alarm alone, because there is usually nothing of value. and like ezone already pointed out, if they really want the car, they will just come and tow it. the ecu stuff is for older thieves who like the thrill of driving away themselves. so yeah, alarms are useless for any purpose and may even be worse by making you a target. if you want to keep your car from being broken in, dont leave anything valuable inside. thats the best alarm. even if you leave your door locks open, most people/thieves will not steal the car. its just too much trouble for the average person that is not prepared. unless ofcourse you leave the key in the ignition.
Old 12-24-2011
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

^ apparently gearbox missed this thread

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2...n-screwed.html

lol i kid i kid
Old 12-24-2011

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

there are people who walk around parking lots and see if they can find unlocked cars to steal stuff from. its happened to a lot of people i know/seen. they just walk by, grab the door handle and if its locked they go in to the next car

and i know you have an aftermarket deck in ur car gearbox. its still a hassle to replace and its an unnecessary cost that could of been avoided. heck if they cut the crap out of ur wires for the hell of it (just like that thread) then youd have more of a headach
Old 12-24-2011
Administrator
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
electric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond repute

i had a viper on my 02 LX sedan. had it installed for $200 total. i mainly wanted it for keyless entry.
Old 12-24-2011
Registered!!

2002ExCivic has a spectacular aura about2002ExCivic has a spectacular aura about

I wanted an alarm, but then I dont keep anything valuable in there, always park in my back yard and whenever I leave the car I remove the radio head so it looks like there's nothing there.

I'll even go as far as to leave my car dirty so its not all shiny and appealing. (not really, I just dont want to wash her =P)
Old 12-26-2011
Premium Member

i actually even unplugged my power locks because i got sick of constantly checking each door to make sure they all were locked. i have about 3 actuators that are as old as the car and they never work all the time. now i know everything stays locked all the time. and i dont have a big remote to carry around either. the only bad thing is if i somehow lock my keys in the car, it will be really hard to get in without picking the lock (the power lock button on the driver door is unplugged and so is the actuator). but way cheaper than buying 3 new actuators. and i dont stress the battery as much.

sleepyrice, here is my "radio" lol. i wont lie, i would feel bad if the car got stolen due to the mods and time i put into it. but any car can get stolen any time and not worth worrying about until it happens.

Name:  nrbophopcvc-1.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  44.8 KB
Old 12-26-2011

thats neat gear whayt is it? just a storage compartment?or actual HU behind
Old 12-26-2011
Premium Member

no stereo and no speakers. everything but the wiring is gone. speaker holes sealed with dynamat. its a metra dash kit with oem civic jdm block off plate (modded to fit the metra kit, requires some sanding).
Old 12-26-2011
Registered!!

EM2+no speakers= stage1 weight reduction
Old 12-26-2011
Registered!!

boyd117 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey guys, brand new too the forum...felt it was time to start participating instead of just reading.

I installed a viper 5901 in my 04 DX...if you feel comfortable to splice into ignition wires and a couple simple wires for you door/trunk status and tach etc. it's not actually to bad with an idatalink bypass.

The bypass works through the vehicles data, this will do your door locks and immobilizer. If your actually considering it, I'll give you all the links you need and help with any questions you have. I have a couple years of experience with remote starters.
Old 12-26-2011
Registered!!

im definetly interested in some links. but im looking for something without the starter kill and all that. i just want something to go off when someone smashes my window and opens it from the inside (for example).
Old 12-26-2011
Registered!!

The starter kill is just an option, you don't have to hook it up.

This is the idatalink website and unit you would need:
http://www.idatalink.com/search/index/model/274

This is all the wiring info you will need:
http://bulldogsecurity.com/bdnew/vehiclewiringdiagrams.asp

The sensor on my alarm goes off if you hit the window but if you want an added sensor you would use something like this:
http://www.viper.com/P-506T/Audio-Glass-Break-Sensor
Old 12-27-2011
Registered!!

awesome thanks man.

btw what exactly is idatalink? what does it do
Old 12-27-2011
Registered!!

The idatalink basically learns the chip that is inside the head of your car key that the ecu needs to see in order to start the car. When the remote starter is activated it tells the idatalink to send the signal to the ecu allowing it to remote start without having the key in the cars ignition. It also controls keyless door locks if you have them, some vehicles it will even do your door triggers, tach, trunk etc.
Old 12-27-2011
Registered!!

oh...well i really dont need remote start lol honestly i just need something thats loud and has impact sensors
Old 12-27-2011
Registered!!

oh, I guess I miss understood...well that just makes your situation cheaper and less work
Old 12-27-2011
Registered!!

any opinions on which alarm to get?

im not sure what i need to look for specs wise on an alarm

how bout this?
http://www.caralarmswarehouse.com/Ca...m+System/2369/

Last edited by pwnsauce; 12-27-2011 at 01:51 AM.
Old 12-27-2011
Registered!!

I would stick to a DEI made product...Viper, Python, Clifford and Avital are common.

Here's a basic Avital system:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Avital-3100L...item53ea5f10bf

Pretty well the same system...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Viper-32...#ht_836wt_1163
Old 12-27-2011
Registered!!

hmm...do they make alarms without keyless entry?

id rather not have a remote with unlock/lock just cuz i dont have power locks lol i know i could just not use it but the smaller the remote the better
Old 12-27-2011
Registered!!

The lock/unlock buttons are what you use to arm and disarm your security system regardless of have keyless entry. If you ever did install actuators, you would have the option to hook them up to the alarm remote.
Old 12-28-2011
I am Epic

Civicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trusted

Originally Posted by gearbox
i lock them, altho im really tempted not to. if you get to really know the criminal world, most people do not go looking for cars to steal, esp not 01-05 civics. majority of thieves are only looking to get in the car, look around, and bag some nice things like gps/radio/money/camera whatever is left in the car. that being said, i would much rather have them simply open the door and poke around, rather than costing me a $500 window and possibly all sorts of other damage to the door and locks, possibly costing thousands to fix, just so they can see there is nothing worth stealing. the only things in the car that can actually be taken is the spare tire, a garage door opener, and a really old cell phone. oh and $5 bill emergency money. i never keep anything in plain view, there is no radio, so i feel pretty safe locking doors knowing only an idiot would break into a car with no radio.

i can break into a car with alarm in maybe 10 secs (without any damage to the door), then another 10 secs i can disable the siren. another 20 secs i can bypass the starter kill, and if i wanted to sit there for a minute swapping ecus, i could drive the car away (again with no damage to the car). alarms are simply a short term noisemaker nobody even cares about anymore. i would never look at a car with a siren going crazy. i just think to myself, "another person who doesnt know how to work their alarm and is causing a disturbance." if you want a low level theft deterrent, go to radio shack and get a blinking LED light for $2. but even that is iffy, because then you are making it more obvious that you car has something inside worth protecting. whenever i see a blinking light, i always go over and peek in the windows to see whats so special that you can see the light from two blocks away. usually the car has all sorts of stuff on the seats. many thieves will use blinking leds as a shopping guide and leave the ones without alarm alone, because there is usually nothing of value. and like ezone already pointed out, if they really want the car, they will just come and tow it. the ecu stuff is for older thieves who like the thrill of driving away themselves. so yeah, alarms are useless for any purpose and may even be worse by making you a target. if you want to keep your car from being broken in, dont leave anything valuable inside. thats the best alarm. even if you leave your door locks open, most people/thieves will not steal the car. its just too much trouble for the average person that is not prepared. unless ofcourse you leave the key in the ignition.
I agree alarms for the most part are a waste of money but the only reason i got mine was cause my car when i bought it didnt come with keyless remote and honda wanted $150 for the stupid remote, lame. I could not live without keyless entry, and I was going to get remote start either way cause the winters here are brutal, so i looked into a remote/alarm combo and it only costed me $200 installed. Its an autostart basic 1 way. A lot of remote starts alone are more than $200. Even though my remote start has crappy range like 15ft ha, oh well better than nothing and i wasnt willing to blow $400 on a 2 way.

My alarm has 2 flashing LEDs inside the car and both are very hard to notice. You cant even see them from 10ft away.

Whereas my uncle drives a corolla and has a flashing LED the size of a gumball and can spot it from 100ft away haha. It looks horrible!

i actually think having tinted windows is probably the best thing to have cause thieves cant look inside. I got mine for 5 reasons

1) prevents people from looking inside your car
2) keeps inside cooler in summers
3) makes the car look a whole lot better (my back windows came tinted and i cant stand that look)
4) i hate people staring at me
5) only costed me $130, wouldnt have paid more.

Last edited by Civicnoobie; 12-28-2011 at 06:29 PM.

Quick Reply: whos got aftermarket alarms??