I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

How to get 8" speakers in the rear?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rsquared is an unknown quantity at this point
How to get 8" speakers in the rear?

I was wondering if anyone has installed or knows how to install 8" speakers in the rear deck.. I was doing some research and really wanted to throw a set of these in the back Dayton 8" i was also wondering about the 7" in the front also dayton 7"

any idea guys
Old 09-04-2011
Registered!!

Re: How to get 8" speakers in the rear?

No ideas at all....
Old 09-04-2011
Registered!!

7genmarathon is an unknown quantity at this point

Got an oxy-acetelyne torch?
Old 09-04-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by rsquared
No ideas at all....
This isn't a hotline, you should wait at least 24 hours for a response before bumping, especially for an unusual question like this.
Old 09-05-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Remove the trunk springs (gonna have to do without from now on). Remove pretty much the whole rear interior to access the rear deck. Mark and cut your holes in the rear deck and the rear deck cover. The hard part is gonna be cutting the rear deck holes. You'll either have to cut from the bottom while laying in the trunk or remove the rear windshield to have enough room to cut from the top. A skill saw with a good metal bit will cut through that thin a metal fairly easily.
Old 09-05-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by MindBomber
This isn't a hotline, you should wait at least 24 hours for a response before bumping, especially for an unusual question like this.
sorry sir i was getting a little excited. I didnt mean to offend.

What i was thinking was cutting a square 9"x9" hole in the rear deck and then than taking a piece of 1/2" mdf and routing out the hole for the speaker than drilling it in to the rear deck.. i feel like the mdf would be more soild than the thin sheet metal.. for the front the mounting depth for the dayton is only 3" and the cutout size needed is 5 3/4" so not much modding there.
Old 09-06-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

sorry sir i was getting a little excited. I didnt mean to offend.
No offence taken, I just don't want someone new to wait four hours and think they're not going to get any answers when it's just a matter of patience. I get excited when I start thinking about a new project too

What i was thinking was cutting a square 9"x9" hole in the rear deck and then than taking a piece of 1/2" mdf and routing out the hole for the speaker than drilling it in to the rear deck.. i feel like the mdf would be more soild than the thin sheet metal.. for the front the mounting depth for the dayton is only 3" and the cutout size needed is 5 3/4" so not much modding there.
That sounds like it would work well and definitely be much less difficult than cutting the sheet metal to the perfect shape, the one thing I would do in addition to drilling and bolting the mdf in place is add a bit of epoxy. I'd be concerned about the vibration of the speaker loosening the bolts over time and allowing the mdf to rattle.

Sounds like your off to a good start with the planning
Old 09-06-2011
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

I would remove the rear windshield to have better work space, just sayin
Old 09-06-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by MindBomber
No offence taken, I just don't want someone new to wait four hours and think they're not going to get any answers when it's just a matter of patience. I get excited when I start thinking about a new project too

That sounds like it would work well and definitely be much less difficult than cutting the sheet metal to the perfect shape, the one thing I would do in addition to drilling and bolting the mdf in place is add a bit of epoxy. I'd be concerned about the vibration of the speaker loosening the bolts over time and allowing the mdf to rattle.

Sounds like your off to a good start with the planning

thanks when i get my speakers and stuff i will for sure take some pics
Old 09-08-2011
Registered!!

b00$t is an unknown quantity at this point

oops.
Old 09-26-2011
Registered!!

chawski will become famous soon enoughchawski will become famous soon enough

Also, Id mount them from the trunk (mount from the bottom) rather from the top of the rear deck as the stock speakers are. It will make it so much easier to change them out later on if needed. Its almost impossible to remove the rear deck without breaking a snap or two and getting tons of rattling
Old 09-26-2011
That Dude with the Questions

Shift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the rough

How would bottom up effect the sound?