I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Who the HELL put this in my car??

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2011
200,000 and counting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thesushiboy is a jewel in the roughthesushiboy is a jewel in the roughthesushiboy is a jewel in the roughthesushiboy is a jewel in the rough
Who the HELL put this in my car??

I need your help finding out what this might be. I'm pretty ok mechanically, but lost when it comes to electronics.

Was replacing a fuse under the dash, when I saw this...

It's aftermarket for sure, those zip ties are a dead giveaway.

Things to know:
  1. '01 lx sedan auto. I'm the original owner.
  2. I put in my own stereo.
  3. Only 4 times I put her into service. Install 2x trannys
  4. Seat belt buckle recall
  5. Low beam headlight safety recall

Anyone have any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG3915.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	81191   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG3916.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	81192  
Old 07-03-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of
Re: Who the HELL put this in my car??

That looks like a plug for an aftermarket stereo. And a relay for it? As to who put it in I would have no idea.

Can you trace the wires and take pics of where they spliced it in?
Old 07-03-2011
"Come to terms with your slow *** whip"

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
rjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the rough

Id say that is probably a wiring harness to an aftermarket alarm system....it looks like its going towards the center console which is where the ignition wire is so possibly the alarm also had remote start
Old 07-04-2011
Registered!!

lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Aftermarket alarm w/remote start from the dealer maybe?
Old 07-04-2011
Registered!!

TiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of light

It's an ignition kill that the dealers uses on the lot. They have a key that fits into it. My guess is if you trace it, you will find one of the wires cut disabling it. I had one in my car as well.
Old 07-05-2011
200,000 and counting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thesushiboy is a jewel in the roughthesushiboy is a jewel in the roughthesushiboy is a jewel in the roughthesushiboy is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by TiggerDX
It's an ignition kill that the dealers uses on the lot. They have a key that fits into it. My guess is if you trace it, you will find one of the wires cut disabling it. I had one in my car as well.
That is EXACTLY what it was. Thanks a bunch!

Can't believe I've never noticed that before, after owning the car 11 years... My wife reminded me it was some cheap POS they tried to sell us, it was like a magnet in the key fob, if you placed it under the dash for a sec, it made a 2x beep. I guess they just clipped the wire?

So part two...anything practical I can do with this thing, or should I just let it be?
Old 07-05-2011
Registered!!

Trace the wires, cut them out and re-attach any factory wires. Then use that relay for wiring up a fun DIY, like new triple air-horns or something. Even if you don't use that relay now save it for something in the future.
Old 07-05-2011
Registered!!

TiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of light

I just ripped mine out and saved the relay. Only part worth anything.