I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

OOPS! Keyless Entry I think I goofed !

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bob1942 is an unknown quantity at this point
OOPS! Keyless Entry I think I goofed !

OOPS ! We have a 2003 Civic LX 4 door it has power windows and door locks . When we bought the civic used it did not come with any keyless entry Fobs and we were told by the seller it did not have keyless entry which we wanted it has the Honda radio and all in it . So now we want to add keyless entry to our civic . I ordered what I thought was the keyless entry kit P/N 08E50-S5D-102 from Majestic it came today and appears to be just the Security part and not the keyless entry stuff I was expecting with the keyless receiver unit ,wiring harness and two keyless FOB'S . So I am thinking I messed up and ordered the wrong kit . What kit should I have ordered I was expecting a keyless entry receiver module and keyless fobs in the kit ?

Can one of you Honda guys clear this up for me ? Your help is much appreciated.

THANK YOU ! Bob
Old 05-18-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: OOPS! Keyless Entry I think I goofed !

unfortunately, honda discontinued the keyless entry add-on for the LX. the only other option is to buy an aftermarket alarm system that will tap into the existing power locks and come with its own remotes. the honda security system you got is useless for you also...it only works on the EX with keyless entry already installed.
Old 05-18-2011
Registered!!

bob1942 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gearbox
unfortunately, honda discontinued the keyless entry add-on for the LX. the only other option is to buy an aftermarket alarm system that will tap into the existing power locks and come with its own remotes. the honda security system you got is useless for you also...it only works on the EX with keyless entry already installed.

THANKS ! Gearbox . I did see on another Honda website some guy replied to another 2003 LX owner who asked about adding keyless entry he said that if the Civic LX has power windows and power door locks it probably already has the keyless entry installed and he should try A 2003 honda civic Fob try program it to the car and see if it works . I may try that first and if that does not work I will go for an aftermarket keyless entry .
Bob
Old 05-19-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

only the EX came with keyless system installed. the lx came with power locks (no keyless, but there used to be an add-on accessory). the dx had manual locks. if you have an LX, you do not have any keyless entry equipment, not even the main control module. for what honda was charging for the add-on, you could easily get an aftermarket alarm for less. usually $100 will get you a basic bare bones DEI alarm that will open/close the doors from the remote and have a siren with shock sensor. still cheaper and way better than oem. also, the keyless system from honda only locks/unlocks the doors. it is not an actual security system (no alarm or horn sounds, no sensors).
Old 04-10-2012
Registered!!

Thaik will become famous soon enoughThaik will become famous soon enough

I did some research and found these:
08E61-S5D-1M001 (TRANSMITTER, KEYLESS)
08E61-S5D-1M002 (TRANSMITTER, KEYLESS RECEIVER)
I have a Honda Civic 2004 DX-VP (Value Package) with electric door locks, tachometer, A/C and tinted windows. I want to install the OEM keyless entry. Are these the right parts?
They come from Majestic Honda and they haven't been discontinued yet it seems.
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...S+-+ELECTRICAL
Old 04-23-2012
Registered!!

vex_helix is an unknown quantity at this point

Not sure on the part number but any keyless receiver from 2001 to 2004 should work on your car. I'd be surprise if the dealer still has this in stock. I got mine from the junkyard off a 2001 civic ex.
Old 04-24-2012
Registered!!

06_typeS is an unknown quantity at this point

I had keyless entry on my old 03 LX. Canadian model though. Not sure if that makes a dif or not.
Old 04-24-2012
Registered!!

Thaik will become famous soon enoughThaik will become famous soon enough

Speaking of keyless entry.
If you ever can get one, how do you install it?
I remember reading some instruction and picture how to do it, but forget where... I know you have to remove the cigarette lighter plastic trim below the center console (where the radio is), but where exactly do you plug the receiver in the car, I know it's somewhere below the steering wheel in the fuse box compartment.
Anyone did that?
Old 10-10-2015
Registered!!

2003lx is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Thaik
Speaking of keyless entry.
If you ever can get one, how do you install it?
I remember reading some instruction and picture how to do it, but forget where... I know you have to remove the cigarette lighter plastic trim below the center console (where the radio is), but where exactly do you plug the receiver in the car, I know it's somewhere below the steering wheel in the fuse box compartment.
Anyone did that?
The harness that is needed for the factory keyless install has a connection to the fuse box, and an intermediate connection to replace the original fuse box connection. I think Honda got bored and made a super scary harness for literally no reason. The remote module has 4 wires. The black /silver goes to a ground screw. The blue with orange strike ties into a connector that is existing in the car on the harness for the cigarette lighter. The yellow /green ties into the green with black stripe on the fuse box using a 2a fuse. The white /red wire ties into the same connector on the fuse box using a 2 am fuse connecting to the white / green wire on that harness. As close as I can tell, the only reason for the fuse box bypass was to add the 2 2amp fuse holders.
I have attached pictures of the assorted harnesses.

Last edited by 2003lx; 10-10-2015 at 09:26 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 02-14-2016
Registered!!

jms0994 is an unknown quantity at this point

so I have the module but not the harness or connectors is there a way to just solder wires to it and make a quick harness. For instance give it power, one to ground, one to lock one to unlock and maybe the last to the horn? it has 5 little pins in there.
Old 02-14-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jms0994
so I have the module but not the harness or connectors is there a way to just solder wires to it and make a quick harness. For instance give it power, one to ground, one to lock one to unlock and maybe the last to the horn? it has 5 little pins in there.

You need a real and correct wiring diagram for the keylesss in that car, it doesn't work the way you're thinking.

The factory supplied keyless unit communicates on a data bus to the MICU (multiplex system or body controller) using a single wire. There are no individual circuits for lock or unlock within the connector on the keyless unit, that's done within the MICU.

The keyless unit has a 5 pin connector and utilizes 4 wires in that connector.
Harness connector is green
If you can locate the keyless receiver harness and plug in another car, the 4 wires would be

(black) ground
(blue/orange) data communication to the multiplex unit in the fusebox
(yellow or yellow/green) keyed power
(empty)
(white/red) battery power