I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Passenger power lock will not work! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gorila is an unknown quantity at this point
Passenger power lock will not work! Help!

Hey guys!
I just bought a 2002 honda civic ex coupe. It has a little issue with the power locks. The passenger door will not lock or unlock when I try to use the remote controller, but the driver's side door locks and unlocks normally. Also, when I'm inside the car and try to lock/unlock all doors by switching the button on driver's side (that should automatically lock/close all doors) it only locks/unlocks the driver's side door. The passenger's side window works perfectly, when controlling from the driver's side or the passengers... I just have a problem with locking and unlocking of the passenger's door.
It is my first car and I'm new to the forum, so I don't know very much and I'm afraid of messing up the entire lock system.

I appreciate any help!
Thank you!
Old 03-06-2011
2010 Civic Si

K20Z3 is on a distinguished road
Re: Passenger power lock will not work! Help!

Sounds like its just the door lock actuator that went bad but get a circuit tester and make sure its getting a current. If so then just get another one from a scrap yard or something (not sure how much they cost) and it should be a simple swap by taking the door panel off etc.
Old 03-07-2011
Registered!!

ubnpast is on a distinguished road

Its a fairly common problem. Door lock actuator, you can get a new one for about $40
Old 03-07-2011
Registered!!

SpeedDownZone is a jewel in the roughSpeedDownZone is a jewel in the roughSpeedDownZone is a jewel in the roughSpeedDownZone is a jewel in the rough

Theres two plugs connected to the actuator what current should the there and when?
Old 03-07-2011
Registered!!

ubnpast is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by SpeedDownZone
Theres two plugs connected to the actuator what current should the there and when?
It should be pulsed alternating 12v when you lock or unlock
Old 03-07-2011
Registered!!

SpeedDownZone is a jewel in the roughSpeedDownZone is a jewel in the roughSpeedDownZone is a jewel in the roughSpeedDownZone is a jewel in the rough

Sorry for the thread hijack but where should I look if one is always constant even with the unlock/lock button off.
Old 03-07-2011
2010 Civic Si

K20Z3 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by SpeedDownZone
Sorry for the thread hijack but where should I look if one is always constant even with the unlock/lock button off.
Door locks wouldn't get constant currents because they are only used when you lock or unlock. If you need a constant current for running another accessory then I'd suggest looking to the radio or something else in the fusebox that could supply a constant current to whatever you're running.
Old 03-07-2011
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

^^ The drivers door actuator has 2 plugs (1 = actuator motor / 1 = status switch)

All other actuators have a single connector.
Old 03-07-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by K20Z3
Door locks wouldn't get constant currents because they are only used when you lock or unlock. If you need a constant current for running another accessory then I'd suggest looking to the radio or something else in the fusebox that could supply a constant current to whatever you're running.
I think you miss understood me there is two plugs on the actuator one of those plugs gets constant electricity dont know if that is normal i think its the one with three wires. the one with two wires on it dont get any even if the switch is pressed up or down.
My unlock/lock swicth dont work remote wont unlock/lock it either and driver door manual unlock/lock button only goes down or up when the door is closed dont know if that is normal.

and again sorry for the hijack but did not want to create a new thread for this.

Last edited by SpeedDownZone; 03-07-2011 at 02:19 PM.
Old 03-07-2011

CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

The 3 wire is the switch WHT/BLK, YEL/RED & BLK

The 2 wire is the actuator motor YEL/GRN & YEL/BLK

You are most likely measuring voltage from the multiplex control unit. It takes various inputs from items and also outputs for the actuators.

Any other electrical items inop ??

Normal for drivers lock to only work when drivers door is closed.
Old 04-03-2011
Registered!!

rustybonz54 is an unknown quantity at this point

Greetings Civic fans. my retired friend has a 2002 Civic EX which has developed a remote door lock problem. after reading about this common problem on this site i bought a new drivers door actuator and did the replacement. same problem but now with a new twist. the original problem lies with the FOB won't unlock the drivers door but if you manually use the key to unlock the drivers door, then the FOB will work on the remaining 3 doors. odd. when you get inside and close the drivers door (and the remaining doors are closed) the drivers door Power Lock switch will lock all 4 doors but will NOT unlock the drivers door. when exiting the car, if you want to lock all doors with the FOB you have to hold the drivers door handle in the unlock position and the FOB will then lock all 3 doors and then you have to manually lock the drivers door. odd. this is the original owner and no accidents. the owner is 70 and is not abusive, takes the buggy to Honda for everything but he is running out of $$$ like the rest of us. he is now railing about just buying a new car but his wife says NO, NO, NO. this Civic has ~120K miles and is in very good shape. any ideas out there? thanks.
Old 04-04-2011

^^^^ I would listen for noise from the drivers door on the 1st unlock press of the fob, listen close to the drivers door inside for any sort of buzzing noise. My 1st thoughts are an open unlock connection leading to drivers door.