I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Airbag Light ON

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
David0915 is an unknown quantity at this point
Airbag Light ON

Guys, any suggestions on what could have caused my airbag light to go on. I unclicked my sitbelt and the airbag light went on on my dashboard. I have an appointment tomorrow at the dealership but im sure it will cost alot. Has this ever happened to anyone?
Old 12-10-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of
Re: Airbag Light ON

Our cars are known to have problems with the SRS lights, well basically all Honda/Acura because the system sometimes "hiccups" and causing codes to trip the SRS light.

DISCLAIMER: Please do this at your own risk, i am not responsible for any damages that you may cause by doing this SRS DIY reset. If you do not trust yourself, please take the car to Acura Dealership and have them reset it for you, Warranty will normally cover for reset at FREE of charge. Try this DIY at your own risk.

Note: If your airbag deployed or seats has been removed or anything that may have triggered the SRS, this DIY will not work for you. All you will get is two flashes or more and the light will remain on.

Tools Material Needed:
- Standard Paperclip (or wire)
- Maybe flash light (night job)

Time:
- 1 to 5 minutes

Difficulty:
* out of *****

Back up thread http://www.dc5nation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44 incase pictures or whatever happens

First make sure your key is out of the ignition.

Step 1:
You can use two options in this step to use to make two contact connect together:

Paper Clip, you can use the paperclip and bend it out to where both ends are next to each other so it can be put in to two pins.
Name:  paperclip.jpg
Views: 601
Size:  43.6 KB

- or -

Regular wires, this is actually the best way to use to complete a circuit.
Name:  srs-1.jpg
Views: 634
Size:  25.6 KB

Step 2:
Remove the bottom panel under the dash, two twist clips which can be easily taken off. (turn counter-clockwise)
Name:  srs2.jpg
Views: 633
Size:  38.9 KB

Step 3:
After the bottom panel is exposed, locate the fuse box (see drawing for location)
Name:  srs3.jpg
Views: 597
Size:  47.0 KB

Step 4:
Locate the SRS plug above the fuses in the fuse box panel, you will see a yellow clip in the middle left side. It is also the ONLY plug thats yellow in the fuse box panel.
Name:  srs4.jpg
Views: 642
Size:  53.2 KB\

Step 5:
Unplug the clip. You should see two pin holes that you will be completing the circuit with using the paper clip or wires
Name:  srs5.jpg
Views: 582
Size:  51.5 KB

Step 6:
plug the paperclip in to the 2-pin clip.
Name:  srs6.jpg
Views: 623
Size:  41.1 KB

After all the Prep Work is done, here comes the steps you need to take to complete actually reset the light. TIMING MUST BE PERFECT, if the light comes back on, remove the key and repeat steps again. Read these steps first before attempting the reset.

Step 7:
With the paperclip or wires in the pins, place the key in and click to the Ingition On position II and leave it alone throughout the whole step.
Name:  srs7.jpg
Views: 605
Size:  44.4 KB

Step 8:
You should hear beeps for 3 seconds, and when the beep is gone, the SRS should turn OFF.
Name:  srs8.jpg
Views: 628
Size:  26.9 KB

Step 9:
QUICKLY, Take the paperclip/wires out and the light should come back on.

Step 10:
When the light comes on, QUICKLY plug the paperclip back in to complete the curcuit again, in a second or so, the SRS light should TURN off

Step 11:
At the final step here, you will remove the paperclip/wire and the light will quickly flash twice and turn off. You should wait a second or two to see if the light comes back, if so, YOU WILL NEED TO REPEAT steps 7-11 again. It will likely take at least 5 attempts to be successful. If not, read step 12.

Step 12:
At this point, take the key out of the ignition and put the 2-pin clip back in to the proper place (same place where you took it out). Secure the bottom dash back in to place. Test out the SRS again with the Ignition Position II. It should beep then the SRS should turn off.

Quick Read DIY without pictures:
1. connect clip to yellow clip, turn key to position II
2. wait for the light to go off and remove the paper clip/wire.
3. As soon as the light turns back on, quickly connect the circuit again.
4. The light should turn back off. Remove the paperclip/wire again.
5. The light will wait a second or two before it tells you the follow word.
6. Final word is, 2 quick flashes and SRS light turns off completely.
6-A. two quick flashes and the light remains, you may be too slow or you have a short in your SRS somewhere.
7. turn off ignition and put back the clip.

Congratulations, you have successfully reset your SRS light.

Troubleshoot:
Most of the errors can cause by removing items such as steering wheel, seats, seatbelts and airbags. Its very rare for a sensor in the front to go bad but if you have been in to an accident and your airbag didn't deploy but the seatbelt locked, YOU MUST replace the SRS module.

If you have aftermarket steering wheel or seats, there is a resistor that you can purchase from Radio Shack where you stick in between those where the airbag or seats suppose to be and act to complete the circuit.

For people that have aftermarket/Non-Airbag Seats, please read this guide to bypass the SRS light issue.
http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread...ermarket+seats

NOTE: You will not hear the beep if you have your driver side seatbelt on.

Last edited by MindBomber; 12-10-2010 at 02:26 PM.
Old 12-10-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

If the unlikely event that you are unsuccessful at clearing the codes, you can read the codes yourself to find out exactly what's wrong without having to pay the dealership.

Originally Posted by Wolfgang5884
While searching around on how to figure out why my SRS light was going on and off I found this site. Great information on how to manually read the SRS codes! So you don't have to give your money to the dealership!

DIY: SRS Codes and reading them

Thanks to R3dline from ClubRSX.com

Everything is the same except our OBDII port is rotated 180 degrees and will look like this,

Old 12-10-2010
Registered!!

David0915 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the advice mindbomber but i think i rather NOT do it myself. I will go to the dealership tomorrow and ill see what they say. Thanks
Old 12-10-2010
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd try it myself... what do you have to lose besides an airbag? Nice writeup.
Old 12-10-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Originally Posted by David0915
Thanks for the advice mindbomber but i think i rather NOT do it myself. I will go to the dealership tomorrow and ill see what they say. Thanks
I know it seems scary to fix it yourself, but it really is a common problem that can be corrected in 5 minutes with a paper clip. When I was first learning how to fix things myself I was terrified something would go wrong, nothing can go wrong with this though!

If the problem is more than just a hiccup in the system, the light will turn back on and you should go to the dealer. These instructions are exactly what the technician will do to your car, except he has a paper clip tool made by Honda.
Old 12-10-2010
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Moved to Electrical

I have the SRS Light on too. If it doesn't bother you, I left mines on, but thanks to Austin, I think I'll go check mine

Taking it to dealer, this will happen
-They will charge you $68 diagnostic fee, regardless of what they find
-If they find it to be faulty seatbelt, they will replace it for no charge under warranty (seatbelts have lifetime warranty)
-If they find it to be airbag system, they will charge you upwards of $200 on top of the $68 for airbag replacement
Old 12-10-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Its an easy fix, but it will definitely take a few times to get the timing just right.
Old 12-10-2010
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

I just reset my light right now, took about 10 mins, and it's off.

Thank god,
It's been on for a good 2~3 months
Old 12-12-2010
Administrator
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
electric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond repute

mine was same as OP. got out of the car to get the mail one day. car still running, undo the seatbelt and SRS light comes on. i messed with resetting about 10 times. each time, the light came back with taking the seatbelt off. went to the dealership. they said if it was the buckle, everything would be free as they are lifetime warranty. sure enough, the buckle was bad. they had to order the part. i picked my car up next day and didn't pay a penny. car was 7 years old and had 130k miles on it. didn't matter. still under warranty.
Old 12-12-2010
Whachya lookin at?

BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

I forgot about that buckle thing..
Old 12-12-2010
Kenny the Ricer

Originally Posted by electric130
mine was same as OP. got out of the car to get the mail one day. car still running, undo the seatbelt and SRS light comes on. i messed with resetting about 10 times. each time, the light came back with taking the seatbelt off. went to the dealership. they said if it was the buckle, everything would be free as they are lifetime warranty. sure enough, the buckle was bad. they had to order the part. i picked my car up next day and didn't pay a penny. car was 7 years old and had 130k miles on it. didn't matter. still under warranty.
They didnt charge you for diagnostic?
They usually do
Old 12-12-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Originally Posted by Kennykid2002
They didnt charge you for diagnostic?
They usually do
Legally any seat belt repair is completely free of charge, I'm sure they would have charged a diagnostic if they could though.
Old 12-12-2010
Administrator
Administrator

electric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond repute

No, they can't charge the diagnostic fee if the failed part is warranteed.
Old 12-12-2010
Kenny the Ricer

I was told they charge diagnostic no matter what

and IF they find out that it is the seat belt, they wont charge you anything additional.
But the $68 still stands

Dunno, maybe you got lucky.
Old 12-12-2010
Administrator
Administrator

Originally Posted by Kennykid2002
I was told they charge diagnostic no matter what

and IF they find out that it is the seat belt, they wont charge you anything additional.
But the $68 still stands

Dunno, maybe you got lucky.
if they try to charge you the diagnostic fee if it's anything related to the seat belt, then i'd tell them to take a hike and go find another dealer. mine said up front there'd be a fee unless it was the buckle that was bad. then there'd be no fees for diagnostic, labor or parts.

i know the guy who bought my car and the reciept from this should still be in the glove box. i can try to get a copy showing no fees if you want to show your dealer.
Old 12-12-2010
Whachya lookin at?

They have the power to waive that diagnostic fee regardless. Just need to sweet talk them into it. I hate it how the dealer does everything in their power to screw you.