I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

(Another) Head Unit Advice Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
smomen is an unknown quantity at this point
(Another) Head Unit Advice Thread

Hi All,

I've looked around the forums but can't find something comprehensive, any help is much appreciated.

Just got an '04 EX Sedan, want to upgrade the stock audio. I'd also like an aux input for my mp3 player, so I assume that swapping the head unit is the best idea, right? The stock speakers would/(can?) benefit from the added power and I'd get better quality sound?

Any brand recommendations for the head unit? I think I'd go for a single din - any single din with the proper kit will do, right? Sorry, this is my first car!!

Thanks much.
Old 11-14-2010
Registered!!

combinatorix has a spectacular aura aboutcombinatorix has a spectacular aura aboutcombinatorix has a spectacular aura about
Re: (Another) Head Unit Advice Thread

I put a Pioneer 2200UB head unit in my 2005 civic. So far has been good. The user interface is not great but has USB and AUX inputs. I use it to play off my flash drive, but the USB works with and charges ipods too. We found that the USB was better for sound quality than my $5 AUX cable too.

I think there are a lot of good units out there, I shopped for this one on Amazon - looks to me like if you're willing to spend $100 you can get something decent. I think Pioneer seems to make pretty good units in general and mine was under $100 at the time.

Last edited by combinatorix; 11-14-2010 at 04:09 PM.
Old 11-14-2010
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

1. if u want to keep it stock, the civic SE (special edition) is really nice. it has an aux in port as well i believe.

u can also go after market, pioneer makes some really good ones.

they have basic ones like these:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Pioneer-FH-P800B...item53e46cb31b

(although u can find that cheaper new)

u dont need to upgrade stock speakers. they will be able to handle the new headunit. most headunits are only able to produce around 50w (20w rms) per speaker anyways.

sound quality will be better because you'll have most adjustability to ur music

pioneer is the way to go. alpine is good as well. stay far far away from sony.
Old 11-14-2010

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

how much are u willing to spend on ur headunit?
Old 11-14-2010
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently you barely searched, or did a half **** one, sorry

On topic:
Theres a wealth of information in these threads regarding headunits and speakers...
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2...ker-ks650.html
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...der-200-a.html
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...uld-i-get.html
Old 11-14-2010

Originally Posted by Kennykid2002
Apparently you barely searched, or did a half **** one, sorry

On topic:
Theres a wealth of information in these threads regarding headunits and speakers...
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2...ker-ks650.html
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...der-200-a.html
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...uld-i-get.html

kenny, i am civicforums official search ****.

today, i give the search **** crown to you. may u pwn the noobs with firm.ness

hahahaha
Old 11-14-2010
Registered!!

Awesome. Well I'd like to spend less than 150, I'll probably be looking for a used one on Craigslist or something - that's why I was asking for good brands and not models

Definitely low budget... most of the threads I found, Kennykid, seemed to be for people doing a full-on upgrade with amps/speakers/subs, I'm just trying to get a good bang-for-buck upgrade and wasn't sure if doing JUST the head unit would produce a good expected improvement. Thanks for the links though, one of them is new to me.

Thing with the aftermarkets: Do I really have to be careful turning up the volume? I won't be blasting the speakers and bass, I'm more of an audiophile - another case for my not needing an amp/sub setup i think! And my impression is that a new HU has better SNR signal output (not just equalizer/sound customizability, right) and the signal is more balanced in frequency. Would you guys say this is the case?

As far as what to get in aftermarket: the unit, and a harness adapter? Will a single din "definitely" fit in place of the stock? I probably won't be going Crutchfield since it's overpriced.

Again, thanks a lot, I'm learning so much from these threads.

Last edited by smomen; 11-14-2010 at 07:58 PM.
Old 11-14-2010

Originally Posted by smomen
Thing with the aftermarkets: Do I really have to be careful turning up the volume? I won't be blasting the speakers and bass, I'm more of an audiophile - another case for my not needing an amp/sub setup i think!
no. but i wouldnt turn it up all the way 100% because you'll prob get distortion. our stock speakers are for are the best in the world (nor are they the worst)

And my impression is that a new HU has better SNR signal output (not just equalizer/sound customizability, right) and the signal is more balanced in frequency. Would you guys say this is the case?.
correct. much better than the stock HU.

As far as what to get in aftermarket: the unit, and a harness adapter? Will a single din "definitely" fit in place of the stock? I probably won't be going Crutchfield since it's overpriced.

u can go single or double. remember you will have to get a dash kit. they make single dash kits and double dash kits.

here is an example of a single:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda...fAudioQ5fVideo

it even comes with a wiring harness (which u need). Metra brand kits are good quality. stay away form cheap ones because they dont always fit well.

also, you will need to know how to solder ur headunit's wiring harness to the wiring harness supplied with the metra kit.
Old 11-14-2010
Registered!!

Alkamist7 has a spectacular aura aboutAlkamist7 has a spectacular aura aboutAlkamist7 has a spectacular aura about

dude just get a touch screen kuz your going to eventually want one anyway save your money if u have to in the end youll have no regrets. i wish i got one now im stuck wit tha single for now
Old 11-14-2010

Originally Posted by Alkamist7
dude just get a touch screen kuz your going to eventually want one anyway save your money if u have to in the end youll have no regrets. i wish i got one now im stuck wit tha single for now
not everyone is the same....nor do they have the same wants, resources, and justifications.

if ur logic is true, why not jsut spend $1000+ on a carputer? because u are going to eventually want one. screw a touch screen headunit

Name:  headunit08.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  100.2 KB

Name:  headunit02.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  92.0 KB

get my jist?
Old 11-14-2010
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sl33pyriceboi
kenny, i am civicforums official search ****.

today, i give the search **** crown to you. may u pwn the noobs with firm.ness

hahahaha
LOL?

Awesome. Well I'd like to spend less than 150, I'll probably be looking for a used one on Craigslist or something - that's why I was asking for good brands and not models

Definitely low budget... most of the threads I found, Kennykid, seemed to be for people doing a full-on upgrade with amps/speakers/subs, I'm just trying to get a good bang-for-buck upgrade and wasn't sure if doing JUST the head unit would produce a good expected improvement. Thanks for the links though, one of them is new to me.
We talk about headunits as well, If you want good bang for the buck, go with pioneer, or sony, and kenwood's if they are on sale

Thing with the aftermarkets: Do I really have to be careful turning up the volume? I won't be blasting the speakers and bass, I'm more of an audiophile - another case for my not needing an amp/sub setup i think! And my impression is that a new HU has better SNR signal output (not just equalizer/sound customizability, right) and the signal is more balanced in frequency. Would you guys say this is the case?

No, your stock speakers will distort if pushed too high, but it wont be too damaging
Our 7th gens have stock pioneer speakers, so that can handle a bit of punishment
True audiophiles WILL want a subwoofer and amp
and yes, aftermarket HU's will have higher signals than a stock system

To upgrade your HU, you need:
Dash kit (preferably metra, one of the best quality)
Harness adapter (any brand is fine, as long as it's vehicle specific)
Single din will definately fit, as well as double din
Crutchfield is a bit overpriced, but their customer service is top notch, deliveries are fast, and certain models of HU's above $149(i think?) comes with Dash kit, harness, and instructions ($50 dollar savings)

That's true, if you cheap out on your deck, you're only going to want to upgrade all the time.
I bought my deck for $80, and I plan to upgrade it in the near future

PS. I want a carputer too
Old 11-15-2010
Registered!!

Thanks guys, for the input! I'll get one, install, and report back.

I'm a minimalist right now, so I don't foresee desiring a touch screen Just want some punch and an aux input... I'm a little worried about theft to be honest. I hope it's possible to get a dash kit that has one of those slide-down covers for the head unit? At least the stock system has that anti-theft red light that blinks to deter crooks. bah, I hate that this is the most stolen car in my area, and most areas.
Old 11-15-2010
Registered!!

Alkamist7 has a spectacular aura aboutAlkamist7 has a spectacular aura aboutAlkamist7 has a spectacular aura about

yea man i feel u on the theft that and not enough dough was why i didnt get a touch but i still want to get one after i upgrade my alarm system.
and that was a nice setup with the carputer

Last edited by Alkamist7; 11-15-2010 at 05:28 PM.
Old 11-15-2010

Originally Posted by Kennykid2002

PS. I want a carputer too

and this is the next stage: you get a carputer, its so bad *** for about a few months, then after a while you're just over it and dont even turn it on every time u drive ur car unless 1, you need GPS... or 2, u have someone in ur car and want to wow them.

i turn on my carputer about once a month when i drive someone. otherwise, my headunit does all the music playing (its syn to my blackberry)

sometimes, i wish i never spent so much money on it...after thousands of dollars, simplicity is the best.

yea man i feel u on the theft that and not enough dough was why i didnt get a touch but i still want to get one after i upgrade my alarm system.
and that was a nice setup with the carputer
thanks!
Old 11-15-2010
Kenny the Ricer

Lol, thats with anything added to your car
Old 11-15-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

just go to walmart and get a sony explode there like 89 dollars and they sound good. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sony-Xplod...eiver/12016338

Last edited by lowlife9; 11-15-2010 at 08:12 PM.
Old 11-15-2010
Registered!!

green01civic will become famous soon enoughgreen01civic will become famous soon enough

Thanks guys, for the input! I'll get one, install, and report back.

I'm a minimalist right now, so I don't foresee desiring a touch screen Just want some punch and an aux input... I'm a little worried about theft to be honest. I hope it's possible to get a dash kit that has one of those slide-down covers for the head unit? At least the stock system has that anti-theft red light that blinks to deter crooks. bah, I hate that this is the most stolen car in my area, and most areas.
I think I know just what you might be looking for. And since it's new, you get a 1yr manufacturers warranty, no worries about dodgy craigslist sellers.

JVC KD-HDR60 ($115)
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...+KD-HDR60.html
Comes with free dash kit and wiring harness.
  • Audio CD/CD-R/RW with MP3/WMA support.
  • Front USB Port for direct iPod/iPhone connection (supports both charging and playback), or play songs directly off any generic USB Flash Drive.
  • Front 3.5mm Aux-in jack for input from any device with a headphone jack.
  • HD Radio Tuner built-in (with high sensitivity, 8.3dBf).
  • 50w Peak / 20w RMS (CEA-2006), which is about as much power as you can get from a headunit without an external amp, and has a 7-band EQ.
  • Detachable faceplate for security (with variable color display).
I have the KD-HDR30 (very similar, but no USB port), and I'm very happy with it. If I was gonna blow a hundred bucks again, I'd definitely get this one.

Last edited by green01civic; 11-15-2010 at 10:05 PM.
Old 11-15-2010
Registered!!

lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

i wouldn't by JVC there units don't seem to last very long or they start acting funny.
Old 11-15-2010
Kenny the Ricer

I wouldnt go with JVC either

I would even get Kenwood over JVC

But the best cheapest headunits? No doubt Sony Xplods, very good deal for pretty damn good quality (HEADUNITS! NOT SPEAKERS)
Old 11-15-2010
Registered!!

green01civic will become famous soon enoughgreen01civic will become famous soon enough

There's nothing wrong with the HU I mentioned , I have a JVC that I'm very happy with. If they were crap, you'd have seen people badmouthing it all over the internet, I'm sure.

KD-HDR60 gets...
4/5 stars on Amazon.com with 17 reviews.
4.5/5 stars on Sonicelectronix.com with 6 reviews.
4.5/5 stars on Crutchfield.com with 36 reviews.

And it has a 1-yr warranty from the manufacturer. A 3-year extended warranty through Squaretrade, add +$13.99, which would still fit in his price range.
Old 11-16-2010
Registered!!

there lower end units suck.

Last edited by lowlife9; 11-16-2010 at 12:42 AM.
Old 11-16-2010

just stick with pioneer. u can find units on ebay for 100 or less. much better than sony or jvc.
Old 11-16-2010
Registered!!

T355 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lowlife9
i wouldn't by JVC there units don't seem to last very long or they start acting funny.
Mine has lasted a good while and has never given me any real problems. Only thing that sucks is the using the menu or setting presets. But you really only have to do this one time to set things up. I have the older version of the one linked in a previous reply. Saying that, I wouldn't buy this one for a a civic again. The dash angle and the shininess of the screen don't work well together and the screen becomes hard to see the majority of the time.
Old 11-16-2010
Kenny the Ricer

In the voice of the great Jeremy Clarkson
"All you can see in the dials, is the reflection of whatever weather may be prevailing at the time"

XD
Old 04-09-2011
Registered!!

tkrotchko will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by sl33pyriceboi
not everyone is the same....nor do they have the same wants, resources, and justifications.

if ur logic is true, why not jsut spend $1000+ on a carputer? because u are going to eventually want one. screw a touch screen headunit
This installation is outstanding. Can you explain a bit how you did it?

What year civic, did you replace the stock radio/heater plastic trim? What make head unit is it?