I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Alternator replaced - then radio stopped working

Old 11-09-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jkorte is an unknown quantity at this point
Alternator replaced - then radio stopped working

I've got a 2005 Limited Edition Civic EX with the 6-disc CD changer

Long story short, the dome light were left on, severely draining the battery. Jumped it, but didn't seem to be getting charged by the alternator and would eventually lose battery power and not re-start. Had Autozone fully charge the battery and then check the alternator, and the alternator seemed to be the issue.

Had the problem re-diagnosed as the alternator and then had it replaced this morning. After being installed, tech said the radio went on for 30 seconds and then died. I haven't gone to pick up the car yet, but they claim to have checked the fuses and can't seem to figure out the issue. Said they called the local Honda dealer and they were unfamiliar with the issue.

Any ideas?

Last edited by jkorte; 11-09-2010 at 10:55 AM.
Old 11-09-2010
Registered!!

Re: Alternator replaced - then radio stopped working

possibilities based on the little bit of internet research I have done:

1. radio shorted out due to wrong amps being used
2. wires touching somewhere

the shop said they would take care of the radio if it was determined to be their issue. during the jumping/charging of my battery the radio was fine, so it seems to be related to the replaced alternator.
Old 11-09-2010
Registered!!

update on the situation (and yes, I realize I'm talking to myself at this point):

Picked up the car, stereo will not turn on, is not asking for CODE, etc. What wasn't mentioned was that the power locks are(were) not working. Went into the store, came out, power locks are working. Went home, at lunch, left to go back to work, power locks aren't working.

I called the shop back and explained the new symptom which leads them to believe there is a bad connection that is contributing to a lack of power distribution. May be something that looks physically fine but for whatever reason isn't fully connected. Going to shoot back through after work and have them re-check it. Will report back.
Old 11-09-2010
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Make sure to check all terminals and adapters are plugged in, sounds like something is loose and/or becoming faulty

Recheck all your fuses yourself
Old 11-10-2010
Registered!!

thanks, will do.

Relatively sure that the power locking issue is the result of my remote starter needing to be re-programmed.

beyond the CD player just not turning on at all, though, my airbag indicator stays lit up now (great!)
Old 02-17-2013
Registered!!

gameboo is an unknown quantity at this point

I also have encountered this problem.
2004 Civic.

Just had alternator replaced. Now the radio has no power (doesn't turn on, no code request)... additionally, the clicker for the car worked the first time I used it after getting the car back, but now doesn't work. I can hear a click noise in the car when pressing it, but no action happens with the car.

Checked the internal fuses, I will check the ones under the hood tommorow. Any reason why changing the alternator would cause this?

I don't understand why the clicker would work once and then not work...
also, why would the cars radio stop working too??

Thank you,
Rich
Old 08-06-2016
Registered!!

xiek is an unknown quantity at this point

Having this issue after replacing the alternator, I don't see any posted fixes though, did someone figure it out?
Old 08-06-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by xiek
Having this issue after replacing the alternator, I don't see any posted fixes though, did someone figure it out?
Blown fuses causing it to not turn on at all, or the radio needs a code to unlock?
Old 08-09-2016
Registered!!

xiek is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ezone
Blown fuses causing it to not turn on at all, or the radio needs a code to unlock?
Nope there were no blown fuses, and the radio had no power to it.

Found it was the multiplex unit, replaced from a wrecker and everything returned, entered code and radio worked afterwards.

Just not sure how that unit failed by changing an alternator with a battery saver hooked up. Unless the battery saver energized something that normally was not energized.
Old 01-13-2019
Registered!!

dulceenvy is an unknown quantity at this point

did u still have to reprogram it after u got the new part?