I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Four 10's : One Civic : Big Bass

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Phatboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Four 10's : One Civic : Big Bass

Currently I'm running four Memphis Car Audio Ten Inch subs in my civic. I chose 4 ohm subs, hook em up the right way an they will drop to One Ohm. The Amp I chose will put out 1100watts @ 1Ohm Stable. Right now the installation looks bad. I have the four tens hooked up intwo different boxes. 2 are ina sealed box, and 2 are in a bandpass box. The local audio store tld me right now im pushing around 125-130Db. They also informed me that If I were to get these subs installed into a custom box then I would reach around 140 Db. He said most ppl worry about breaking windows around 140Db.

So here's a couple of questions:
1] Im lookin for several layout designs for a custom box for four 10's.
2] Where can I get those really nice lookin bolt-on windows.

I just thought abotu what I typed... now im gonna hafta ge tinted bolt-ons (35%).

Has anyone seen the fender kit. I guess it's a wide-body type thing, but i think they look sexy, lol.
Old 04-21-2002
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mohawkboom is an unknown quantity at this point
Wow Phatboy you have some learnin ahead of ya ..

First.. A custom box won't help you hit many more DB's as much as the proper airspace will.. Which Memphis subs do you have??.. Memphis Studios?.. HP's, HPO's, SHP's??...And what kind of sound in general are you looking for.. Idiotically loud fart bass.. Tight punchy bass, Deep low but somewhat sloppy bass?...with 4- 10's that require a mere .66cu.ft each you can do a cutso m trunk floor install and move your spare tire under the car....

Cheers
Mohawk
Old 04-21-2002
Ben
Registered!!

Ben is an unknown quantity at this point
please!!!!!! Go to another shop in your area and get a second opinion. Or do some research on your own. 140 db is not that much. i have 2 15's in my civic that hit a 151 with the car sealed just last weekend and my windows are doing just fine. Yes it flexes and the trunk goes crazy but i'm not blowin the doors off. heck as soon as i bought my civic i put 2 15's in home boxes in the trunk and it was hittin 146 with stock everything and no dynamat and everything was fine. you can probably build a box with all 4 10's facing the trunk and still have plenty left over space and hit pretty hard. just make sure you build the box VERY good and take your time to seal it. theres a pic in my profile if you want to check it out.
Old 04-21-2002
Registered!!

they are Memphis Studios,... my windows are flexing pretty good right now, and i belevied the salesman whe he told me to watch the Db's
Old 04-21-2002
Registered!!

I want to make my car a show car and compete wih audio... im prety sure i want to enter what is it "sbl" competitions....
Old 04-21-2002
Ben
Registered!!

Ben is an unknown quantity at this point
you mean SPL competitions

SPL = SOUND PRESSURE LEVEL

Old 04-22-2002
Registered!!

Crash2002 is an unknown quantity at this point
How can i find out how many DB's i hit?
Old 04-22-2002
Registered!!

well with 4 Memphis Studio's you'll never be competetive because yu'd be in Street 3-4 Class where people are hitting well over 155 easy..with memphis Studios..even with 4 of them and say 1000Wrms you'd be hard pressed to break 145..those subs just aren;t big SPL performers.... As for your windows flexing.. Ben and I are both hitting a tad over 150 and there's no chances of the windows breaking any time soon...it generally takes over 165 DB's before windows will shatter..and 165DB's you can die while sitting in the car.. anything about 150DB's really isn't safe to the human body... after 140 DB's your eardrums can potentially rupture within seconds.. 150DB's is over 3 times the air pressure..at about 144 or so your eyes will vibrate and internal organs will vibrate at very low frequencies and make you wanna hurl lol....

Also without sound deadening your roof and trunk lid will flex soo much that you'll easily be losing about 3 Decibels..I'd invest in 3 Rolls of RAAm mat 60 ($99 for a 62.5sq.ft roll) MUCH MUCH cheaper than Dynamat Extreme and works pretty much just as good....

Cheers
Mohawk
Old 04-22-2002
Registered!!

WhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of light

<< The local audio store tld me right now im pushing around 125-130Db. They also informed me that If I were to get these subs installed into a custom box then I would reach around 140 Db. He said most ppl worry about breaking windows around 140Db. >>

the local car audio store is full of #^#&. you know why now.

<< So here's a couple of questions:
1] Im lookin for several layout designs for a custom box for four 10's.
2] Where can I get those really nice lookin bolt-on windows.
>>

ill start with 2] all custom work, and all a pain in the ***. theres a reason why you only see really nice cars like that at finals. there are billions of cars in teh high 60's, low 70's, and 90% of then are literally covered in cement. not a very trick looking install.....

<< I just thought abotu what I typed... now im gonna hafta ge tinted bolt-ons (35%). >>

most of the plexi windows ive seen tinted were tinted to 0%, with black spray paint.

<< Has anyone seen the fender kit. I guess it's a wide-body type thing, but i think they look sexy, lol. >>

yeah, ive seen it. loks G A Y. the problem is that our engine compartments are too short, we cant pull it off =/.

alrihgt, now for the box design. my vote is using the spare tire well as well. raise the floor, relocate the tire, and install all four subs with teh cones facing out. with a little trick use of fiberglass, you can make a "swirl" design, as iff you mounted yoru subs in a gigantic bowl. would look pretty slick, IMO.

your never gonna win comp with that, but you might win best install, or best of show, if you do it right........
Old 04-22-2002
Registered!!

WhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of light
dammit, why do i keep confusing myself.... i meant to say install with the magnet facing out, not the cone.

unles you have a really nice looking cone, and a POS mag.

otherwise, looks slick
Old 04-22-2002
Registered!!

<< Wow Phatboy you have some learnin ahead of ya ..

First.. A custom box won't help you hit many more DB's as much as the proper airspace will..
>>

isnt the point of making a custom box so that the sub gets the proper airspace?

kinda silly to build your own box and not design it to sub specs..... thats like building a custom box for his car and cutting the holes 12 inches......
Old 04-22-2002
Registered!!

Very true..but Memphis Studios work Perfectly with small sealed 10" sub enclosures.. they work best in .66cu.ft before displacement for the 10's anyways..so why go custom [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG].

Cheers
Mohawk
Old 04-22-2002
Registered!!

cause the standard size for a prefab box is one cube each
Old 04-22-2002
Registered!!

2k2civicballer is an unknown quantity at this point
or 2 12"s that do just as much and more...come on, 4 10's? no thanks...
Old 04-22-2002
Registered!!

you know what would be slick? an isobaric install. would be tough, especially sinc eyou have low air 10's (going on faith here...) but it would look slick to see two pair of 10's in a "w" configuration behind a wall of plexi when you fold down your seats, bumping all reverse to each other [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG]
Old 04-22-2002
Registered!!

ok, i just modeled up the memphis studio 10 inch 4 ohm SVC sub in winISD, just to see for myself what kind of box volume is required for what kind of response...

a .707 alignment (considered the perfect Qtc, is comparable to understeer/oversteer, a Qtc of .707 is teh same as neutral steer) is achieved with a box volume of about .86 cubes, before driver displacement.

a ported box for 4 of these tens for a perfectly flat frequency response would run you a sum total of 7.1 cubic feet. thats a pretty big box! and that is BEFORE driver OR port displacement!

sealed with a Qtc of .707 and four tens would be 3.5 cubes total, before driver displacement.

another option you have is going with an isobaric setup. you gain no SPL by doing this, and in fact lose some. but what you lose in SPL, you (have potential to) gain in a more comfortable install.

sealed and isobaric box would be .85 cubes. thats pretty freakin small, not really worth it.

ported is really where an isobaric install can help you, especially since its looking for 7 cubes. when you install your subs isobarically, the size srinks to 1.8 cubes before driver and port displacement. ported to 27Hz and some change, you get a dead FLAT frequency response to boot. ported isobaric SPL SHOULD be comparable to sealed non-isobaric, be half the size and (theoretically) will play MUCH lower than sealed.

F3 is teh point on teh frequency response curve where the responce at a certain frequency drops to the -3 dB point. ideally, you want it to be zero across teh whole band of audible frequencies, but sometimes we must make do. sealed, your memphis subs will have an F3 of 45 Hz! this means that at 45 Hz, it is -3, at 30 Hz it will be playing a whopping 10 dB lower than zero!

take a look at the ported box. F3 of 27 Hz. thats a TON lower than sealed! doesnt hit teh -10 Db point until 20 Hz!

finally, an isobaric install allows for a WHOLE lot more creativity and uniquness during install. how many people hide their subs behind plexi in a custom built box? then turn on teh bass and have the subs hit opposite to each other while you watch? looks so mother%^&#ing slick, i cant tell you.

i really think that a ported isobaric install is the way to go for you. i have all teh charts and graphs for you if you wanna take a look at various frquency response graphs, phase plots, or jsut to discuss SPL theory and why an iso baric box would halve your SPL, and at the same time double it [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG]
Old 04-23-2002
Registered!!

lol, thanx guys

you told me the truth n all, but sheesh my emotions and dignity are shattered... lol.
Old 04-25-2002
Registered!!

BlueLightning is an unknown quantity at this point
i like to see the 4 10s in the civic.. that be a nice lil set up
Old 04-25-2002
Registered!!

Da2k1wicivic is an unknown quantity at this point
My friend has u beat. He has 6 10's in his 99 civic. I know u're putting this into a 2k1 but it should fit. Put them on a angle towards the back seat, so it get's smaller to towards the seat that's how my friens has his set up. My friends car.