I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Startup Problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light
Startup Problems

I am currently having a problem with my car which is not the easiest thing to diagnose. I would say every 1/50 or more times I go to start my car it doesnt start. I turn the key and it doesnt crank over at all. I checked out all my grounds and they appear to be good. (How many grounds are there total?) The weird thing is this. If I go to crank the key and on the rare occasion it doesnt start if I hold it for maybe 5 seconds longer it cranks over fine without me giving it a second turn. So I would assume the ground wires are not to blame but maybe my immobilizer is not pciking up the key right away. Is this a possibility? Is there any way an average Joe like me could tell? Is there anything else it could be? Thanks for the help guys.
Old 06-22-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Awjvail is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Startup Problems

This happens for me when my foot doesn't have the clutch depressed 100% to the floor. It just takes a second for it to pick up... sometimes all it takes is you to move your toe a hair and it'll engage.
Old 06-22-2010
Registered!!

04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

I am automatic haha should of said that.
Old 06-22-2010
Registered!!

Awjvail is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh. How embarrassing.
Old 06-22-2010
Registered!!

laack is an unknown quantity at this point

does the fuel pump prime? do you hear it click at all when is turned to start? does power wink out for a second? is there a green key flashing on the cluster?

Start at the most basic point-the battery. check that terminals are tight. if they are, clean them. Have battery charge tested just in case. check starter for corroded connections (2) report back
Old 07-02-2010
Registered!!

The fuel pump does prime, I cant recall if I hear a click. The power doesnt wink out at all. There is no green key blinking except for when it is supposed to.

My terminals are tight, and clean. I am going to test the battery.
Old 07-03-2010
Registered!!

hindude will become famous soon enough

it might be a problem with your gear selector. If there is a little bit of play in it when you're in park, that may be the issue. I had this same problem on my old camry.

This is what I did:
Turn the key to start and if it doesn't try to start the engine, hold the key in the start position with one hand and with the other, try wiggling the gear selector while it is still in park to see if you hear the engine try to start. For my situation, there was certain spot in park, that the gear selector had to be in, in order to start the engine. That connection had become loose on my gear selector.