I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Amp won't power off.

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
masterguns is an unknown quantity at this point
Amp won't power off.

The whole [sound] system was working perfectly til the other day when a lot of bags and luggage were loaded into my trunk. After which, everything seemed to be working except I had no sound. I noticed the protection light on the amp was lit. I tried disconnecting and reconnecting the power on/off wire. Nothing. I drove around for a while with no sound and the HU turned off until I decided to check the ground. Bingo! There's the problem, it had been knocked loose from all that extra junk in the trunk. I reconnected the ground only to now have the problem of the amp staying on when the HU or car is turned off. I've tried disconnecting and reconnecting different wires in different sequences with the ignition on and off, but nothing has worked so far. Is there a reset switch or something? What should I do?

P.s. This shouldn't have anything to do with the other thread I currently have going on this forum about my cruise control. The CC stopped working a while before I started having problems with the amp.
Old 12-18-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Amp won't power off.

your remote-turn on wire from the stereo may have been knocked loose out of the amp. the power and grounds for the amp are always hot (connected directly to the battery). so the only other wire would be the remote wire, which tells the amp when to turn off.
Old 12-18-2009
Registered!!

No, the power was not knocked loose. The ground was knocked off its grounding location. All other wires were connected solid where they were supposed to be. It's only after reconnecting the ground to its grounding location that I now have a problem. I need to know how to get the amp turned off so I can start over. It won't turn off.
Old 12-18-2009
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
unTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to all

your amp always has direct power from the battery, and a direct ground. so without a remote wire being attached it will always stay on.

what hes saying is the 'remote wire' may have been knocked loose. its the thinner wire thats usually blue that runs from your deck to the amp. when your deck shuts off it sends a signal through that wire to shut the amp off. without that wire in properly your amp wont know when to shut off.

i had this same problem last summer.

Last edited by unTuned; 12-18-2009 at 09:10 PM.
Old 12-18-2009
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

if you are just asking how to turn the amp off to reset it, simply disconnect the main power wire (or remove the fuse on the wire near the battery). but you need to make sure the remote wire is connected properly (remote wire is NOT the power or the ground wire).
Old 12-20-2009
Registered!!

I removed the main power wire and reconnected it with the remote and ground wires connected properly. Didn't work. The amp still stays on. I've tried removing and replacing fuses. Same thing, goes off and comes back on and stays on. At this point, I'm not sure what to do. There are speaker pops when the ignition is turned and the HU comes on. Don't know if that means anything.
Old 12-20-2009
Premium Member

i think its toast and youll just have to get a new amp. it may have stayed in protection mode too long and fried some circuit. im sure a new amp will work fine, its just a simple power/ground/remote wire hookup. you can try opening up the amp, sometimes they have internal fuses. or you might be able to see if anything is burnt and possibly replace it (like capacitors, resistors, etc).
Old 12-20-2009
Registered!!

BJanzen is a glorious beacon of lightBJanzen is a glorious beacon of lightBJanzen is a glorious beacon of lightBJanzen is a glorious beacon of lightBJanzen is a glorious beacon of lightBJanzen is a glorious beacon of light

Your wording confused me, just checking, you have a power wire (from the battery), a ground wire (connected to the chassis) and a remote wire (the wire connected to the ignition wire behind the stereo), is this correct? Make sure the remote wire is the correct wire (only gets a voltage when the ignition is turned on)
Old 12-21-2009
Registered!!

Correct. And the thing is the whole system works fine otherwise. I can't buy a whole new amp just for that reason. There's got to be someway to get it to turn off.

Just to recap,

Problem: Amp stays on when the rest of the system is off.

Symptom started: when ground (not remote or power) wire was knocked loose from its connection to the chassis. Upon reconnection, amp doesn't turn off.

Failed solutions:

-I've tried interrupting power going to the amp by removing the power wire (not the remote wire) while system is on and replacing it.

-I've tried leaving it unpowered overnight.

-I've tried removing and replacing all fuses (all good btw) while amp was in both powered and non-powered states.

-I've even re-stripped the power and remote wires at their connection points to make sure there's a clean connection.

So far, nothing has worked and the amp is always on when powered.

Hopefully everything is clear now. I know this is getting frustrating, but if anybody has had a similar issue or has some new idea, I really do appreciate any help. And just for the record the amp in question is a Profile California AP1040
Old 12-21-2009
Premium Member

how about just for fun, remove the remote wire and test it with a multimeter to see if it has voltage or not with the radio on and off. set the multimeter for 12v, put the red probe to the remote wire, and put the black probe to a ground wire (either the amp wire or just touch to a good chassis ground). its possible the remote wire got fried internally or is not working like it should. do you know anyone that you can try your amp on their car? you need to figure out whether your car is the problem (bad remote wire) or the amp is bad.
Old 12-23-2009
Registered!!

civicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond repute

i dont believe the remote wire works as a toggle on and off. the remote wire sends constant power to the amp to let it know when it has to turn off and on. just think of the remote wire as the power wire itself, because when there is power through the remote wire the amp will be on. maybe somewhere in the middle the remote wire is shorting on something. an easy way to test if your amp is still good is to loop the remote wire back to the power. disconnect your remote wire from the amp and connect another wire into the remote wire on the amp. the amp should be off. (if it is still on they yeah the amp is bad lol) then loop the new wire directly to your power wire on the amp. the amp should turn on. if that works then you know your remote wire is fxcked somewhere in the middle of the 2 connection points.
Old 12-23-2009
Registered!!

BJanzen is a glorious beacon of lightBJanzen is a glorious beacon of lightBJanzen is a glorious beacon of lightBJanzen is a glorious beacon of lightBJanzen is a glorious beacon of lightBJanzen is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by civicsrcool
i dont believe the remote wire works as a toggle on and off. the remote wire sends constant power to the amp to let it know when it has to turn off and on. just think of the remote wire as the power wire itself, because when there is power through the remote wire the amp will be on. maybe somewhere in the middle the remote wire is shorting on something. an easy way to test if your amp is still good is to loop the remote wire back to the power. disconnect your remote wire from the amp and connect another wire into the remote wire on the amp. the amp should be off. (if it is still on they yeah the amp is bad lol) then loop the new wire directly to your power wire on the amp. the amp should turn on. if that works then you know your remote wire is fxcked somewhere in the middle of the 2 connection points.
^^^Agreed