I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Hella headlight bulbs?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hondaguy2582 is an unknown quantity at this point
Hella headlight bulbs?

Been reading that Sylvania isn't all its cracked up to be, and hear Hella to be the better brand of the two. Any of you guys use the h4s in your civic?
Old 09-06-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Hella headlight bulbs?

just your typical blue coated bulb, nothing special. i would stick with the philips XP series H4 bulb, which is the brightest bulb on the market that is street legal. much whiter than stock too and still 55w. its a clear bulb with thin blue ring at the top and alot of other enhancements. almost looks like hid on a dark road. www.powerbulbs.com

OEM

philips XP

Name:  XP-8.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  16.6 KB
Old 09-06-2009
Registered!!

hondaguy2582 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks. Putting them in the cart as we speak!!
Old 09-06-2009
Registered!!

d0ughbOy81 is an unknown quantity at this point

yea hella sucks i had them they were only blue for a week
Old 03-02-2010
Registered!!

eLChiCho25 is an unknown quantity at this point

OK Maybe IM missing something ..but what makes Philips XP so special again? I just dropped about $50 on a pair.. I left 1 reg 9006 on the left and the XP on the right to see the difference....and notice VERY little difference with the reg 9006 ones I had already.. and they have a yellow glow rather than Bright White.. I hope they last as long..
Old 03-02-2010
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

xp has an optimized filament position and coiling, the capsule is smaller so the pressure and temp runs hotter, and there are a few other things. basically better in every way. do you have any pics? the H4 was a huge difference for me, even when i upgraded from the already good +50 VP bulbs to the XP. maybe the 9006 isnt as efficient.
Old 03-03-2010
Registered!!

civicpapi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gearbox
xp has an optimized filament position and coiling, the capsule is smaller so the pressure and temp runs hotter, and there are a few other things. basically better in every way. do you have any pics? the H4 was a huge difference for me, even when i upgraded from the already good +50 VP bulbs to the XP. maybe the 9006 isnt as efficient.
Gear the second pic looks brighter lol.

9006 is a tiny low beam bulb, so maybe less of a real difference.

H4's are low and highs, so that is where I bet the real difference can be seen?
Old 03-03-2010
Premium Member

well the lo beam h4 and lo beam 9006 filaments are both 1000 lumens. the h4 hi beam shouldnt matter since its not used unless hi beams are switched on (and the lo beam turns off then). oem h4 bulbs are almost useless compared to the xp. only other thing i can think of is the 04-05 civics already have a better reflector design which the xp did not improve on as much.