I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

radio/hvac popping out + wiring Q's

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
brokedown711 is an unknown quantity at this point
radio/hvac popping out + wiring Q's

Anyone have issues with the dash/HVAC not fitting correctly after a radio install? I'm only missing one clip but the top clip on the left side (right below the left vent, so the vertical clip, not the horizontal one) is still there but something is pushing it and making it pop out. Not sure what, it got dark but I messed around with it for a while even taking the radio out. I feel like it's the kit, but I'm not sure.

im gonna tear into it again tomorrow, gotta install the amp/sub anyways and one of my illumination bulbs is burnt out.

any ideas?

Also, I have the orange, orange/white and blue wires heatshrinked so they don't short out.

I think the solid orange (labeled illumination) on the Metra harness is what I need to hook up to my radio so it dims when the interior illumination is on. I'll check it with a meter, it should show 12v+ when the dash lights are on right?!

Does the antenna need the 12v+ from the turn-on/trigger wire from my radio? the pioneer only has one switched wire (blue/white) but luckily the antenna is in the window otherwise it would be extended anytime the HU was on.

Thanks in advance

Oh yea, Best Buy is such a ripoff: $21.99 for the dash kit, $21.99 for the harness I'll be getting another one ASAP and returning this crap, you have to be kidding me.
Old 08-17-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: radio/hvac popping out + wiring Q's

you need to connect the power antenna wire otherwise you will have bad reception, even with a window antenna. the illum wire can be connected if you want the deck to dim when you use the dash lights. as for the piece not fitting, its usually cause the cables are in the way. make sure everything is tucked away and not getting stuck in the back.
Old 08-17-2009
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
unTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to all

you dont really need to use the orange or orange/white wires. a lot of people run into nothing but problems with them. if you are that concerned with illumination and dimming, i guess you can. but 90% of people on here have nightmares with it and end up burning out lights everywhere. i would stay away. what is your new deck? a pioneer what?

i taped off and left my orange wires untouched on both sides and i have no problems at all.

as for fitment, like gb is saying, just make sure everythings tucked out of the way. if it ends up being the dash kit, you can buy a dash kit and harness online for cheaper than you can at the store. i had no problems either. you can also get the better metra dash kit for our cars that no store carries. they all carry the crappy one with the ugly pocket on it.
Old 08-17-2009
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

Everything should fit just like it came out make sure everything lines up. On my double dinn avic I had a ton more wires then the factory radio. But since everything is neat it fits fine.