I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Connector for H4 bulb/headlight

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seks is an unknown quantity at this point
Connector for H4 bulb/headlight

With the connector facing you and using 9, 12, and 3 o'clock as reference position, which position correspond to the following:

ground
hibeam
lowbeam
Old 12-14-2008
Registered!!

supafil25 will become famous soon enough
Re: Connector for H4 bulb/headlight

low - white
hi - red
ground - black
Old 12-15-2008
Administrator
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
electric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seks
With the connector facing you and using 9, 12, and 3 o'clock as reference position, which position correspond to the following:

ground
hibeam
lowbeam
none of yours apply as 7th gen are ground switched.

3-common 12+
12-low beam ground
9-high beam ground
Old 12-15-2008
Registered!!

Originally Posted by electric130
none of yours apply as 7th gen are ground switched.

3-common 12+
12-low beam ground
9-high beam ground
Ya this is for 2002 Civic LX (canadian)

I've attached a schematic diagram of what I'm gonna do when I install my H4-2 HIDs.

Left of green dotted line is on right side of car and vice versa.

So I would:

Connect the red switch wire going to the left of the car to 12 on connector.

Connect the red switch wire going to the right of the car to 9 on connector.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	hid.jpg
Views:	922
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	75437  

Last edited by Seks; 12-15-2008 at 01:49 PM.
Old 12-15-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

heres how i did mine on my 2002 civic. for canada, you will have to disable the DRL (daytime running lights) by pulling the fuses or unplugging the module near the hood release.

Old 12-15-2008
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
heres how i did mine on my 2002 civic. for canada, you will have to disable the DRL (daytime running lights) by pulling the fuses or unplugging the module near the hood release.

Ya DRL has been disabled by pulling out the fuse long time ago.

According to the instructions on the back of my relay packaging, 87 goes to device to be powered up (ie ballast) and 30/51 goes to fuse/battery?

My bulbs have the low HID bulb and high halogen bulb in it.
Old 12-15-2008
Administrator
Administrator

electric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seks
According to the instructions on the back of my relay packaging, 87 goes to device to be powered up (ie ballast) and 30/51 goes to fuse/battery?

My bulbs have the low HID bulb and high halogen bulb in it.
doesn't matter which way as long as 30 and 87 are between the battery and the ballasts.

gear's diagram is how i did mine too. if the high beam bulbs are same as stock wattage, you'll still connect them to the red wire on the stock headlight plug and the high beam ground. or you can run them right off the battery with a second relay. run the common power from the headlight plug to both relay 86 terminals. then run the high beam relay ground 85 to the high beam ground wire on the headlight plug. this along with gear's diagram above will have the low beams on with the high beams too.
Old 12-16-2008
Registered!!

I've attached a revised diagram. Will the revision work, ie, lo (hid) and hi (halogen) beam ON at same time when i switch to hi beam.

let me know...I don't want to fry anything
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	hid2.jpg
Views:	472
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	75438  
Old 12-17-2008
Administrator
Administrator

your top relay ground goes to a permanent chassis ground, not from the switch. bottom relay gets a permanent hot from the battery and the ground gets switched from the headlight connector. you could do the positive off the switch, i guess, but i ran mine permanent.
Old 12-17-2008
Registered!!

Originally Posted by electric130
your top relay ground goes to a permanent chassis ground, not from the switch. bottom relay gets a permanent hot from the battery and the ground gets switched from the headlight connector. you could do the positive off the switch, i guess, but i ran mine permanent.
ok this should be right!!

Old 12-17-2008
Administrator
Administrator

yep. that will turn the HID's on with the low beam switch and they'll stay on when the high beams turn on. you may want to double check that this is safe for the HID's that you have and won't make them too hot with both running at the same time. this is not safe for our stock 9003 bulb.