I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

2003 instrument panel on&off problem

Old 10-30-2008
PAL
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PAL is an unknown quantity at this point
Post 2003 instrument panel on&off problem

I have intermittent "on & off" problem with the temperature, speedometer, tacometer, mileage counter and petrol gauge. When it is "on", everything is working fine. When it is "off", the gauges are "down" and mileage meter = blank. When it is "on" again, the mileage meter shows last registered number.
Other indicators like "door ajar", "seat-belt", etc are always working.

The service center advisor insists that the panel needs replacement with a new one. He checked my panel that there is power supply but panel not working. When he removed my panel and put in a temporary panel to test, the temporary panel works. When I asked if it means the "on&off" problem will be resolved once & for all with the new panel, he said "most likely unless it is some obscure wiring problem". He can't tell which gauge is faulty; said my panel problem is a very rare problem.

Anyone faced this problem ? How was it fixed ?
Old 10-30-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2003 instrument panel on&off problem

what kind of car? most newer cars ive seen turn off completely and drop all the needles down.
Old 10-31-2008
PAL
Registered!!

The "on&off" problem occurs when the engine is on & and I am driving. That's why it is irritating. Suddenly, you don't see yr speed, RPM/petrol at "zero" and mileage = blank. It comes back "on" by itself. There is no noticeable "trigger" like if it goes "off" when I turn on the radio or something like that. And apart from a new battery replacement (a few weeks before this On&off problem), I have not touched the electricals in the car.
Old 10-31-2008
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

almost sounds like a loose wire in the harness, or a bad ground. unplug the connectors and examine both the gauge cluster pins and pull the wires to see if any are loose.
Old 11-06-2008
PAL
Registered!!

I took my car to an auto electrician and give him your advice to check the harness, etc. The auto electrician still said that he is unable to find the problem and insists it is the whole instrument panel faulty. He asked me to replace it. And the intermittent problem which used to be "off" for a few minutes/seconds and "on" by itself again is lately getting worst. It is like "off" more than "on". When it is "on", I see a flash with the mileage number (still last "on" correct number). Then <10seconds later, it is "off".

Pls help give more advice. Is it really that the whole instrument panel is faulty OR still fixable problem ? I don't understand if the whole panel is with faulty circuit, why is it still tracking mileage number (last "on" number), all needles working well ? It is so frustrating when driving...
Old 11-06-2008
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

If re-seating the connectors on the cluster module did not solve the problem... Then, I would have to agree with what he said. The fact that the test cluster works o.k. is also a good informative test idea that he performed.

You can get one from a junkyard (match year, body style and trim level for plug and play) The problem will be the mileage shown will be from the other cars total mileage, Could be lower could be higher.
Old 11-09-2008

Albertross has a reputation beyond reputeAlbertross has a reputation beyond reputeAlbertross has a reputation beyond reputeAlbertross has a reputation beyond reputeAlbertross has a reputation beyond reputeAlbertross has a reputation beyond reputeAlbertross has a reputation beyond reputeAlbertross has a reputation beyond reputeAlbertross has a reputation beyond reputeAlbertross has a reputation beyond reputeAlbertross has a reputation beyond repute

I've had this problem.
It's the cluster.
Buy yourself a new one.
Old 02-01-2010
Registered!!

R Mont is an unknown quantity at this point

Where would you recommend I buy the new cluster from, other than the dealer?
Are they easy to install?
Old 02-01-2010
Premium Member

ebay. pretty easy yeah. just be sure to find one with the same mileage as your car. and coupe/sedan have different lighting at night.
Old 04-18-2015
Registered!!

detonator29 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a 2004 special edition (Canadian) with a 5 speed and have a very similar problem to what you described. The only difference is that the panel does not come on when I start the car, have never had it drop off while running. Did replacing the instrument cluster solve the problem? I have been hoping it is just a loose connection as it will sometimes come back on when driving and if I smack the dash above the instrument panel it will often come back on. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 07-09-2015
Registered!!

Thaik will become famous soon enoughThaik will become famous soon enough

I did a cluster swap.
From DX to LX 03-05.

Still has the same issue, but a bit different, it's more frequent, all warning lights seem to be working.
When the cluster is not working and by doing a cluster self diagnostic test, it works but only the working instruments.

As opposed to the old cluster, whenever it wouldn't work, self diagnostic test wouldn't work at all.

It seems to be a recurring issue with these clusters so probably it's the cluster itself isn't new, 200k kilometers on it, one from a recycling yard.