I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Installing H.I.D's

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
carter is an unknown quantity at this point
Installing H.I.D's

When instlling H.I.D do i have to disconnect the battery and if so do i remove the power or the ground wire?.. If i remove the ground the battery is still live? or does it break the circut.

Another question so say i take the power wiree off do the install n plug the power wire back on and thats the trick right just likeinstalling regular bulbs?

Anything i should be carefull of.. its kinda snowing outside but ill do this in my garage bad or good idea??

Thanks for the read/Advice.

Oh and charging my cap whats the best way to charge that bad boy since i am disconnect my batter and what not? Disconnect power going to amp and run the car and it should store power? Because right now i have it connected to the Ground and Power wire and then form there the power is going to the amp and there is a sperate ground. WIl taking the amp off charge the cap?

Thanks.
Old 02-01-2008
I brake for hairy Hawaiian midgets

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
manahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Installing H.I.D's

my only thoughts...

I'm sorry for not being much help, but if you're asking questions about whether or not you should be disconnecting your battery, and HOW you disconnect your battery...my common sense is telling me that you shouldn't be installing your H.I.Ds to begin with.

Last edited by manahoonie; 02-01-2008 at 03:14 PM.
Old 02-01-2008
Registered!!

thanks ofr the quick help >?
Old 02-01-2008
Feel safe at night, sleep with a paramedic.

AmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by manahoonie
my only thoughts...

I'm sorry for not being much help, but if you're asking questions about whether or not you should be disconnecting your battery, and HOW you disconnect your battery...my common sense is telling me that you shouldn't be installing your H.I.Ds to begin with.
Sorry, but I'll have to 2nd that. What mods have you already done to your car yourself???

As far as the original questions, yeah, taking off the neg on the battery will disconnect power to the car. I think you're also trying to ask about your capacitor for your amp??? Yeah, the cap should always be charged, until you actually discharge it. I would just disconnect that, depending on how it's wired, if you're concerned about getting zapped by that.
Old 02-01-2008
Registered!!

Ive done engine work ive done all the electrical for the car audio.

But i mean like my lights still dimm the same even with teh cap on i didnt notice much of a differnce if a small one at all.. Its suppose to be a cheap quick fix but didnt make any differnce. Because i never charged it when i got it.
Old 02-01-2008
Diamond Member

Envy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of light

it should charge consistently. and is your amp pulling more power than your cap can handle? o and HID's are illegal.
Old 02-01-2008
Registered!!

Thanks for the insight, my amp is 800RMS and my cap is 1.2 farad.
Old 02-02-2008
Registered!!

chkolny will become famous soon enoughchkolny will become famous soon enough

HIDS are illegal? wha?? if you get over a 6k bulb its illegal, cuz the light produced is no longer a white, but HIDS themselves are not illegal
Old 02-02-2008
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by carter
Ive done engine work ive done all the electrical for the car audio.
since you can do audio work, how come u dont know how to dic. ur batter n such? i mean...you DO have to dic ur batt inorder to install/work on audio...

Originally Posted by chkolny
HIDS are illegal? wha?? if you get over a 6k bulb its illegal, cuz the light produced is no longer a white, but HIDS themselves are not illegal
actually, they are. if ur car didnt come with HIDs, its illegal. period.

even a retrofit with oem hids parts are still considered illegal.

any modification to ur existing lighting system other than the manufacture's specification is illegal.
Old 02-02-2008
Registered!!

chkolny will become famous soon enoughchkolny will become famous soon enough

hmmm wow, to be honest i didnt know that about the hids, thanks for the info.

and yes i have to agree with sl33pyriceboi, how did you work on your car audio without disconnecting battery?, that seems really dangerous :/
Old 02-02-2008

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

When instlling H.I.D do i have to disconnect the battery and if so do i remove the power or the ground wire?.. If i remove the ground the battery is still live? or does it break the circut.
yes you do. all you need is to dic the negitive part of the batter and all power should be broken in ur car.

Another question so say i take the power wiree off do the install n plug the power wire back on and thats the trick right just likeinstalling regular bulbs?
well, i dont really understand ur question.

you basically need 2 things to install ur hids...(well, more than that is recomended but ill talk bout that later)

1. hid bulbs
2. hid ballast

ur hid bulbs will connect to ur ballast, and ur ballast connected to the poper +/- of the headlight plug.

so if you dont have a plug n play H4 adaptor ur gonna need to tap in the + and - of ur headlight plug.

note: a pnp H4 adaptor had 3 male pins on it that plugs into ur female headlight socket...and there should be 3 wires that come out of ur H4 adaptor.

IF you dont have that, you should tap into ur H4 socket, although this is HIGHLY not recomended becaues the electrical draw will not always be enough...and you can short ur electical boards in ur car.

Anything i should be carefull of.. its kinda snowing outside but ill do this in my garage bad or good idea??

Thanks for the read/Advice.

Oh and charging my cap whats the best way to charge that bad boy since i am disconnect my batter and what not? Disconnect power going to amp and run the car and it should store power? Because right now i have it connected to the Ground and Power wire and then form there the power is going to the amp and there is a sperate ground. WIl taking the amp off charge the cap?

Thanks.
its fine if u work in ur garage. jsut dont work outside. also be sure you have plenty of light. work during the daytime if possible. and make sure it runs before nightfall. or else you gonna be fuked...

when working on ur amp/cap, all u really need to do is take out the inline fuse that's right after the batter (before ur amp/cap)

you should also because when handling ur cap because power might still be stored in it. but as long as you dont touch the terminals of the cap you'll be fine.
Old 02-02-2008

i also forgot to mention. i really suggest you getting a hid relay kit...why because ur stock headlight wires arent always sufficient. they are made of up 22awg wires i belelieve and is not made to handle the tremendous amp/wattage draw during ballast power up.

if you have any further questions, do not hesitate to ask becuse im sure it will benefit other users as well.
Old 02-02-2008
Administrator
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
electric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chkolny
hmmm wow, to be honest i didnt know that about the hids, thanks for the info.
yes they are technically illegal. but if you are smart and don't get ricey kits that draw attention, you should be fine. to the OP as well, if i've said it once, i've said it a thousand times:

DON'T INSTALL HID'S WITHOUT A RELAY HARNESS!!!

and charging the capacitor needs to be done through a resistor just like the instructions say.

Last edited by electric130; 02-02-2008 at 06:45 AM.
Old 02-02-2008
Registered!!

stupid pre assembled wires!!

Last edited by carter; 02-02-2008 at 06:17 PM.