I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Sound Deadening Products ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
civicarina will become famous soon enoughcivicarina will become famous soon enough
Sound Deadening Products ?

So wanted to know if any of you had experience with these Sound deadening products I found on ebay. I want to know:

1) Which of these name brands are good?
Dynamat, B-Quiet Extreme, Fatmat, Ultimate B-Quiet

2) How many sq ft. would I need to do my entire EM2 { Floor, foot wells, Rear Quarter Panels, Rear speaker panels, Trunk floor, Trunk Lid}

Thanks guys !
Old 12-27-2007
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
reddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to all
Re: Sound Deadening Products ?

http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/ is your first stop. Please use the search function as well - this has been discussed before.

Executive summary is to get a deadener that is butyl rubber based with asphalt bound in, and NOT something totally asphalt based unless you want your car to smell like a freshly tarred roof in the summer.

I have heard from several people that RAAM mat is good, but I have not done my ride with anything yet. Be sure to also budget for a bit of acoustic foam as well. It does make a difference in stopping some types of destructive and constructive nodal interference, especially in the door panels.
Old 12-27-2007
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

i used mostly dynamat xtreme cause it doesnt smell. i dont like having a car that smells like road tar.
Old 12-27-2007
Registered!!

chawski will become famous soon enoughchawski will become famous soon enough

ive used dynamat in the past with good results. it is however a bit on the pricey side. a good place to look is partsexpress.com. they have sound deadener off all diferent materials for like $2/sqtf
Old 12-27-2007
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

carmedia1.com is good also
Old 12-27-2007
Registered!!

ryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to all

ramm mat is on my rear deck and my 2 front doors. That stuff is awsome, and it doesn't make the car smell like tar thank god.I doubled up alot and i still have half a roll. When spring rolls around I will be putting that stuff on the rear doors as well. Make sure you use enough ensolite or any other padding material you might use to prevent rattles from the trim peices before you put it all together. If you just happened to be from NYC or Long Island I would even show you how to do it.
Old 12-27-2007
Registered!!

ryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to all

Also, if you are trying to really kill road noise, a good layer or 3 of acustical foam is in order on top of the mat.
Old 12-28-2007
let the devil out

eye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant future

if you want something that is more bang for the buck check out e-dead from elemental designs. edesignaudio.com
Old 12-28-2007
Registered!!

familycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to all

check out boom mat as well
i can get you a good price on this stuff if your interested

http://www.designengineering.com/pro...sp?m=sc&cid=13
Old 12-28-2007
Registered!!

civicarina will become famous soon enoughcivicarina will become famous soon enough

Thanks all Ill consider this over the weekend !

Oh btw I searched and I did find that webvsite ... but it didnt talk too much about product reviews !
Old 01-04-2008
Registered!!

jay47 is an unknown quantity at this point

Okay, I don't know a lot about the subject, but I did to extensive research on the sound deadening stuff before I did my car. I used Fatmat from a seller off of Ebay and got good results. The other stuff was just too expensive, and I could put 2 layers of Fatmat for the same price as one layer of the others. I took out the entire interior of my car (seats, console, carpet, rear deck, rear seats, doors and door panels) and installed at least 2 layers of 50 mil Fatmat in all areas. I think that Fatmat is pretty good, no smell and it sticks well. It sticks very well on the floor and well on places like the door panels. However, I live in Texas, and it gets very hot and humid at times, so it does not stick well to upside down places like the trunk lid, which is understandable considering the trunk lid may get to be 150 deg. in the summer. Overall, I am pretty satisfied with the quality of the Fatmat. It was cheap, like $115 with shipping for 100 sq feet, which was the main factor for me in making my decision.
For the install, I put 3 layers in the doors, one on the interior section (the part that actually is the outside of the door, but on the interior part) and 2 layers on the inside part of the door. I put three layers on the floor everywhere and on the sides in the back seat I put one layer of deadener. Overall, I would say that it "gently" reduced noise levels. I was actually expecting more, but we drive a Honda Civic, not a Mercedes. Overall, I would probably do it again, but be forewarned, the worst part is taking out all of the interior, if you haven't done it before, it will probably take you a whole weekend to install as much as I did.
Oh, and one other thing, take out the battery before removing the wires connected to the front seats, or else your ABS light will go off. It's not too hard to reverse it, but just annoying. There is a DIY somewhere here where you can turn it off should you forget.

Feel free to PM me should you have any questions.

Last edited by jay47; 01-04-2008 at 08:00 PM. Reason: No smell
Old 01-04-2008
Premium Member

tires are the biggest cause of road noise. next time go with a quieter tire and you will notice more from the deadening. it mainly dampens higher frequency sounds after all.
Old 01-04-2008
Registered!!

I bought this brand called B-Quiet Extreme off of ebay ... I heard its a good product ... Its a company based in Canada ... and I actually emailed people on ebay who had bought and installaed the same proiduct from that user on ebay .... to my surprise those ebayers did reply and helped me out . They said it was a magnificent product for the price .... and yes 100 sqft is a lot fot a civic ...

The packages are on their way though ! .... Should begin the install on Wednesday morning ... Me and my buddy are doing it together... and hes a master of installations .. custom works ... He works at a Stereo shop which does custom enclosures for cars and most of there customers are exotics !!!
Old 01-07-2008
Registered!!

jay47 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds good man, having someone else there who has done it before should really help. Oh, and remember to disconnect the battery cable before you take out the front seats, just so that dang light doesn't come on.

Gearbox- You are absolutely right about the road noise from the tires. The problem is, I switched from the stock Bridgestone Potenza RE92's to Bridgstone EL400's, which were supposed to be allseason touring tires that were quieter than the RE92's. I did this soon after the sound deadener install and to be honest, it still didn't make too much of a difference. It was quieter, but I wanted it to sound like a Lexus, barely audible road noise. I suppose I should have asked for some help on here to find a quiet tire before I went and bought some more. I told the owner of the shop that all I wanted was a quiet and dependable allseason tire, and that is what he recommended. I am happy with them, but would still like the crispness that the sportier tires gave me.
Old 01-07-2008
Premium Member

my old tires, bridgestone turanza, were expensive but made the car sound like a lexus. there was little to no tire noise, the only sounds came from wind and some vibration. this time im going with alot cheaper tire so hopefully it wont be too bad. the stock firestones were the worst tires ive ever used. i actually thought something was wrong with my car for a while cause it would vibrate and shake so loudly i never thought it would just be the tires doing it.
Old 01-07-2008
Registered!!

Thanks for reminding me to dissconect the battery man. Rep 4 u