I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

HID kit problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007
Technical Assistant

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond repute
HID kit problem

Got my Tenon HID kit in today, and plugged it all up. Low beam doesnt work but the high beam doesnt, and I tried to put in a 20a fuse instead of a 15a still nothing. Here is the bulb

The little guy on the left is my high beam
The big guy on the right is the xenon low beam
there is also a glare shield on the bottom of the xenon bulb (nice feature i think)
plugged up all of the ballasts, etc.etc. and still nothing. The only thing feeding power to the bulb/ballast is the stock plug, the kit didnt come with any kinda relay harness...what the hell is going on here. There is no humming or any sound coming from the ballasts, and the little High beam still works.

That might have been confusing so here goes simple. Low beam doesnt work, high beam does. Ballast doesnt seem to be turning on

Last edited by ultimatetuner10; 09-06-2007 at 05:08 PM.
Old 09-06-2007
Registered!!

west imports is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: HID kit problem

If you are saying the high works, and the low doesn't, you have them wired incorrectly. Do the highs make a buzzing sound when you turn the lights on?
Old 09-06-2007
Technical Assistant

ultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond reputeultimatetuner10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by west imports
If you are saying the high works, and the low doesn't, you have them wired incorrectly. Do the highs make a buzzing sound when you turn the lights on?
I dont think there is any way to have them wired wrong because the clips only fit into 1 other clip...no the highs dont make any kind of sound either. i dont have a relay harness/w.e it is but i was told its not neccesary to make the kit work

Last edited by ultimatetuner10; 09-06-2007 at 08:42 PM.
Old 09-07-2007
Administrator
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
electric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ultimatetuner10
I dont think there is any way to have them wired wrong because the clips only fit into 1 other clip...no the highs dont make any kind of sound either. i dont have a relay harness/w.e it is but i was told its not neccesary to make the kit work
do you have a 7th gen? if so, you do know that the headlights are ground switched (2 grounds, common positive)? are you sure you're tapped into the car's harness correctly? if so, you'll need to accurately describe every single connection you made before we can help you any more. pics of each connection would be better.

also, our car's wires aren't designed to handle the high current draw of the ballasts during startup. so, no, you don't HAVE to have a harness to make them work, but it's a lot safer for your car. if you want to risk burning up your wires over time, then don't use a harness. if you're smart though, you'll spend $20 or so on a relay harness.
Old 09-07-2007
Technical Assistant

Originally Posted by electric130
do you have a 7th gen? if so, you do know that the headlights are ground switched (2 grounds, common positive)? are you sure you're tapped into the car's harness correctly? if so, you'll need to accurately describe every single connection you made before we can help you any more. pics of each connection would be better.

also, our car's wires aren't designed to handle the high current draw of the ballasts during startup. so, no, you don't HAVE to have a harness to make them work, but it's a lot safer for your car. if you want to risk burning up your wires over time, then don't use a harness. if you're smart though, you'll spend $20 or so on a relay harness.
Yes I have a 2001 honda civic lx sedan. No I didnt know anything about grounding I thought it was a Plug and Play kit so I plugged everything up, and didnt think there was any other wiring I would need to do. I am thinking about returning the kit because I cant seem to figure out a way to get the headlight to seal properly in the back...the bottom of the bulb isnt round to accept the shape of the rubber cover il try to figure out something. Where can I get a relay harness for 20 dollars??

Here is how I plugged everything up. There are 4 plugs on the end of the bulb and 2 on the end of the ballast.

the one thick wire splits into 2 and hooks up to 2 wires coming from the bulb
one wire from the xenon bulb goes back to the ballast
one wire from the xenon bulb has a clip on it that hooks up to the stock harness

other than that I didnt do anything else. Here is the kit itself

Last edited by ultimatetuner10; 09-07-2007 at 09:26 AM.
Old 09-07-2007
Administrator
Administrator

electric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I have a 2001 honda civic lx sedan. No I didnt know anything about grounding I thought it was a Plug and Play kit so I plugged everything up, and didnt think there was any other wiring I would need to do. I am thinking about returning the kit because I cant seem to figure out a way to get the headlight to seal properly in the back...the bottom of the bulb isnt round to accept the shape of the rubber cover il try to figure out something. Where can I get a relay harness for 20 dollars??

Here is how I plugged everything up. There are 4 plugs on the end of the bulb and 2 on the end of the ballast.

the one thick wire splits into 2 and hooks up to 2 wires coming from the bulb
one wire from the xenon bulb goes back to the ballast
one wire from the xenon bulb has a clip on it that hooks up to the stock harness

other than that I didnt do anything else. Here is the kit itself

it's hard to see from the pics, but it appears that there's 2 red and 1 black on the H4 connectors. if that's the case, then you kit is set up for positive switched H4 and not negative switched H4 (which you have). there needs to be 1 red and 2 black. they gave you the wrong kit. the halogen high beam doesn't care about polarity, but the ballasts do. the ballasts have to have the proper polarity or they won't work. can you verify how your kit is wired?
Old 09-07-2007
Technical Assistant

it's hard to see from the pics, but it appears that there's 2 red and 1 black on the H4 connectors. if that's the case, then you kit is set up for positive switched H4 and not negative switched H4 (which you have). there needs to be 1 red and 2 black. they gave you the wrong kit. the halogen high beam doesn't care about polarity, but the ballasts do. the ballasts have to have the proper polarity or they won't work. can you verify how your kit is wired?
So whats my best move with this kit?? Here are some more pictures of all of the plugs and how I had it all wired up

http://entertainment.webshots.com/album/560591127epTuEq

Let me know thanks for all of your help
you can view all of the pictures fullsize for detail
since its reversed cant I just flip the plug that goes into the ballast...would that even everything out??

Last edited by ultimatetuner10; 09-07-2007 at 09:59 AM.
Old 09-07-2007
Administrator
Administrator

So whats my best move with this kit?? Here are some more pictures of all of the plugs and how I had it all wired up

http://entertainment.webshots.com/album/560591127epTuEq

Let me know thanks for all of your help
you can view all of the pictures fullsize for detail
since its reversed cant I just flip the plug that goes into the ballast...would that even everything out??
in this pic here:

where the black is should be red, and the 2 reds should be black. that would give you proper polarity to match up with our cars. it's up to you what you want to do. you could just change the polarity of the power wires going into the ballast and it should work fine. or send it back and tell them to get their act together.
Old 09-07-2007
Technical Assistant

in this pic here:

where the black is should be red, and the 2 reds should be black. that would give you proper polarity to match up with our cars. it's up to you what you want to do. you could just change the polarity of the power wires going into the ballast and it should work fine. or send it back and tell them to get their act together.
How do I go about changing the polarity?? Dealing with ebay sellers is a pain in the *****
Old 09-07-2007
Administrator
Administrator

How do I go about changing the polarity?? Dealing with ebay sellers is a pain in the *****
switch the black and red going to the ballast.
Old 09-07-2007
Technical Assistant

switch the black and red going to the ballast.
So in other words just plug the plug up the reverse way to the ballast? I thought about doing that but didnt want to harm anything

EDIT: just tried it and everything works. Now I just need to figure out how to get the rear to seal I may just use a lot of tape to seal it up. Rep to you, and thanks a lot

Last edited by ultimatetuner10; 09-07-2007 at 10:20 AM.
Old 09-07-2007
Administrator
Administrator

So in other words just plug the plug up the reverse way to the ballast? I thought about doing that but didnt want to harm anything
you'd either have to de-pin it and switch the wires, or cut and splice them in reverse. that plug that goes into the ballast has a tab to prevent it from being reversed. also, if you've plugged the ballasts in backwards, you likely blew a power fuse. that happened to me when i was trying to test my HID fogs and hooked the ballasts up backwards. the car's fuse blew.
Old 09-07-2007
Technical Assistant

you'd either have to de-pin it and switch the wires, or cut and splice them in reverse. that plug that goes into the ballast has a tab to prevent it from being reversed. also, if you've plugged the ballasts in backwards, you likely blew a power fuse. that happened to me when i was trying to test my HID fogs and hooked the ballasts up backwards. the car's fuse blew.
nah here I just changed the plug around and it works fine now. All fuses work fine I just put the left one in and it works great. Gona do the actual install and mounting today with a friend
Old 09-07-2007
Administrator
Administrator

cool. glad you got it working.
Old 09-12-2007
Registered!!

GotHID is an unknown quantity at this point

removed. get a vendor membership.
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/advertise.php

Last edited by TRIZ; 09-20-2007 at 01:59 PM.
Old 03-25-2008
Registered!!

ratonao is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys Im from Argentina this is my first post! i´m having the same problem going on with my HID install. Y have an H4-2 Kit with a double black wire, a single black and a red. The HID starts great, but when I want to use the Hi beam, it doesn´t start and the xenon flashes like crazy!!.
I think i have a negatively switched system. My hi beam signal stays on my dashboard when xenon (lo) is on!!

This is a pic of my bulbs:

I read that Electric130 exlained that I have to de-pin and invert the wires, but im a newie with this and i really dont know which wires do i have to invert to make it work!!!. Here´s a pic posted by ultimatetuner10.

Which wires do I have to invert? Green Arrow / Orange Arrow? OR MAY BE OTHER??

Thanks in advance!!!
Old 03-26-2008
Diamond Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Envy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of light

do you have a bi-xenon setup? and you really should create your own thread, not jack this one!
Old 03-26-2008
Registered!!

ratonao is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Envy
do you have a bi-xenon setup? and you really should create your own thread, not jack this one!
Hi Envy I used this thread because ultimatetuner10 had the same problem as im having and I saw interesting for others that may search (as I did) to find the whole information in one place!!, I dont see why do I have to create a new thread.

The bulb I´ve got is a H4-2 (hi halogen/lo xenon).

Thanks!
Old 03-26-2008
Administrator
Administrator

Originally Posted by ratonao
Hi guys Im from Argentina this is my first post! i´m having the same problem going on with my HID install. Y have an H4-2 Kit with a double black wire, a single black and a red. The HID starts great, but when I want to use the Hi beam, it doesn´t start and the xenon flashes like crazy!!.
I think i have a negatively switched system. My hi beam signal stays on my dashboard when xenon (lo) is on!!

This is a pic of my bulbs:

I read that Electric130 exlained that I have to de-pin and invert the wires, but im a newie with this and i really dont know which wires do i have to invert to make it work!!!. Here´s a pic posted by ultimatetuner10.

Which wires do I have to invert? Green Arrow / Orange Arrow? OR MAY BE OTHER??

Thanks in advance!!!
most likely, you have a negative switched based on your description. if the pic you posted is your H4 connector taken apart, i'd say it's actually wired correctly for negative switched. without seeing the rest of the kit, it's hard to say. based on the flickering you describe, i'd say you have a power problem. if you're not using a relay harness with this install, then that would explain the problem you're having. when you go to turn the high beams on, the halogen is drawing so much current that the stock wires can't supply enough to the ballasts for the HID. the best way to fix it is to get a bi-xenon relay harness for negative switched. make sure it's got 2 relays. one for high and one for low.