I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

DIY Sedan Rear Speaker Install

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2007
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
rice4lyfe will become famous soon enough
DIY Sedan Rear Speaker Install

Alright, since the other DIY pics aren't up, I have took some just for the beginner to see what basically needs to be done. I really like to DIY everything just because you learn so much more from it. Plus, if anything screws up, you only have yourself to blame!

This DIY is not really a full one, just one to show what and where everything is.

Tools:
New speakers
Panel Popper or Screwdriver
Wrench Set preferably with extensions
Patience (not a tool..but shut up...lol)

First of all, flip down the rear seats. Im pretty sure everyone knows how to do this. Just stick the key in on the rear deck and turn according to which side you are flipping down (in this case, both sides)

Now, you will have something like this. This is my amp install, I have yet to finish wiring everything because I ran out of wire. But 4 channel amp running to all four speakers! woot!

You might want to remove the side door moulding or just move it aside. I found it easier to remove it in the beginning. You probably dont need to remove, but I was running wires around my car. Just a clip holding the skinny part, pull it out but dont break anything

Now, for the side back rests. If you look at the bottom of each side of the side, there should be a bolt holding it in. Right here.

You might need to push the seat down to gain access to the bolt, but heres where it is:

Alright, this was probably the most problematic part of this whole DIY. To take out the side back rests, you will need to push up on the whole panel (towards the roof). It was alot easier to just gain access to the back by removing the cover via a black tab right next to the backrest.

For me, I just pushed up on this white tab and wiggled it up using my thumb.

It should end up looking like this!!

*Note, never start this DIY at 7 in the evening, makes you stop and start again the next day.. oh well. TAKE YOUR TIME

At this point, we should take off half of the door moulding just enough to uncover the c-pillar.

Remove the defrost plugs from the window, one on each side, just pull it off.

Pop off the C-pillar using a panel popper. Just be careful not to break anything. Here are where the clips are in the panel.

Now, we should almost be ready to take off the rear deck. But we need to pop off the seat latch cover, not a big deal. Just pop off the cover.

Before you start ripping your rear deck apart, remember to go through the trunk to unplug your 3rd brake light. Just a clip, pinch both sides and pull away.

Sorry I dont have a picture for this one, but basically the deck is held on by clips. Carefully use your panel popper, or screwdriver to pop out each clip. For ease, I went undernieth the deck (inside the trunk) and used pliers to aid in taking them out. I just pinched the sides and pushed them out. Just be careful and dont force anything out.
When all the clips are out from the bottom, just give it a pull towards you and it will come out.

Now when you have ur deck out, take out thoes crappy stock speakers with just 3 10mm screws.
Here should be the stock paper speakers.. dun dun dunnnn

Install your new speakers (will probably require drilling new holes, not big of a deal) and reassemble all the parts in backwards order.
Just be sure to reconnect your 3rd brake light. You may get pulled over if you dont

Well this is what I've got, not the best, but still some pics to get people started. Have fun and don't hesitate to msg me.
Be patient with your work and this is all about learning

Cheers

Last edited by rice4lyfe; 05-05-2007 at 12:26 PM.
Old 05-05-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dizbstretch is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: DIY Sedan Rear Speaker Install

nice one man... really helpful from the drawing diagram... i was going to get some professional to do it due to being afriad to tear my rear seats and **** apart, but now it dont seem so difficult... i'll do that tomorrow installing the rear speaker first then the front speakers since they are component speakers...

thanks again for the diy
Old 05-05-2007
Registered!!

85gp4 is an unknown quantity at this point

Nice DIY - pictures really help to understand all of the steps.
Old 05-05-2007
Registered!!

1civicpower is an unknown quantity at this point

x2 good job
Originally Posted by 85gp4
Nice DIY - pictures really help to understand all of the steps.
Old 05-09-2007
Registered!!

sickk.. 1st sticked everr
Old 05-13-2007
Registered!!

ryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to all

Very nice DIY. I havnt received my speakers or my RAAMmat yet but I saw this and went outside and tore it all down just for the hell of it so I would be confident when the materials get here this week. One thing that I found was that popping the white clip for the side rests of the rear seats and angling it down was sufficiant. There was no need to undo ANY bolts at all....let chance of breakage that way too. Also like he said, no need to remove the door trim...i broke a clip doing it but got everything back together just fine with not rattles. On the C pillars, it helped me to keep the white clip you can see through the hole with the N next to it in the metal and use the to line it back up and everything else kinda snapped into place. Took a hot five minutes really. Again thanks for this!
Old 05-14-2007
Registered!!

Alpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz Erthang

I suggest, When installing the new speakers you screw them on from the bottom. That way if you ever need to replace them again you do not need to take the rear of the car apart again. Just my .02 & Good Job on the DIY....
Old 05-14-2007
Registered!!

ryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to all

I dont know, my girls car has them mounted on the bottom and it sounds like ****. Then again if they could be mounted from the bottom I could fit the polk db650's in the rear deck!! Anyone done this before?
Old 05-14-2007
Registered!!

Alpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz Erthang

Mine are mounted from the bottom and it sound fine. I use my car for SQ competition and just recently picked up a Crossfire sponsorship. So I feel I am doing something right...

Here is a link:
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2...crossfire.html

Old 05-14-2007
Registered!!

Thats awsome...I accidently ordered two sets of the db650's so I might call crutchfield and change the RMA to the sony's that I had bought. They said the reason the DB650's wouldnt fit was because of the top mount depth or something to that affect.
Old 08-07-2007
Registered!!

DieselDrummer is on a distinguished road

is it possible to get 6x9's to fit in the rear deck? I had read before that they could only fit in the coupe rear deck, but what is the difference that would prevent them from fitting?
Thanks
Old 08-08-2007
Registered!!
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

lordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond repute

ummmm..... The 6.5 inch circular hole is what prevents 6x9s from fitting.
Old 08-08-2007
Registered!!

Ive tried to do this too and its not worth it. The centre seatbelt buckle thing is in the way. Best thing to do is just to fit the 6.5 round speakers in them. They sound alot cleaner anyways.
Old 08-10-2007
Registered!!

DieselDrummer is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by lordhelmet
ummmm..... The 6.5 inch circular hole is what prevents 6x9s from fitting.
no ****, i was looking for the answer that I got after yours. Don't ****ing respond it if it is a worthless pos response you ****tard.
Old 04-19-2008
Registered!!

renton is an unknown quantity at this point

First of all thank you for the nice DIY. I have a few more pics, IM me and I will email them to you if you want to add them.

edit: is there a way to know whics is + and - ?

Last edited by renton; 04-19-2008 at 08:17 PM.
Old 04-19-2008
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

if you hook them up one way and theres little to no bass, hook them up the other way and it will have much more.
Old 04-22-2008
Registered!!

renton is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you gearbox!
Old 07-16-2008
Registered!!

keepItJDM is an unknown quantity at this point

great job man, so is the bottom seat cushion removal the same in coupe models? one bolt on each side? and Im confused still on how to remove the rear side armrest plastic
Old 04-03-2009
Registered!!

westcali_playa is an unknown quantity at this point

good diy made takin the rear deck off a breeze thanks
Old 11-27-2009
Registered!!

rockina4dr is an unknown quantity at this point

i have 6x9s in the back of mine... you just have to get some tin snips and cut the metal around the speaker for them to fit. then on the big plastic piece you pull off of the back take off the foam pieces and cut the plastic that they were sitting on, then just cut the corner of the child seat hooks for them to fit.
Old 07-06-2010
Registered!!

randylavers is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for the DIY man, was very helpful! my new mtx's pound
Old 07-24-2010
Registered!!

_goran_ is an unknown quantity at this point

Great guide! Took me a while, it was frustrating, but i ended up getting it done.
Old 08-14-2010
Registered!!

deanerluker is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: DIY Sedan Rear Speaker Install

Thanks for the info. Never would have figured that one out on my own. You would think it would have been a little easier than that, just to replace a rear speaker. Thanks again.
Old 10-03-2010
Registered!!

HondaHater is an unknown quantity at this point

It worked! Thanks!
Old 10-03-2010
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HondaHater
It worked! Thanks!
Glad you could find the thread on your own
Old 12-07-2010
Registered!!

kbook has a spectacular aura aboutkbook has a spectacular aura aboutkbook has a spectacular aura about

My speakers will arrive soon. I plan to put the 6.5 in but I am just curious whether I need an adapter to get it fit or just drill the new holes instead?
Old 12-07-2010
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Hard to say kbook, You have to measure the depth of the speaker magnet

Best to get the speaker in hand, testing it inside the hole
If the magnet is too big, you're going to need the adapter, and to drill anyways
Old 12-08-2010
Registered!!

lordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kbook
My speakers will arrive soon. I plan to put the 6.5 in but I am just curious whether I need an adapter to get it fit or just drill the new holes instead?
My Infinity Kappas came with plastic rings that I secured to the deck and then I secured my speakers to the rings. The rings have a bunch of holes that that would match any number of stock hole configurations.
Old 12-09-2010
Registered!!

kbook has a spectacular aura aboutkbook has a spectacular aura aboutkbook has a spectacular aura about

Thanks guys. I will check once the speakers arrive.

Ok, I got them in.

I do not have adapters but i managed to put it in using the pieces of v metal that came with my polk speakers so I reused left over to lock from the bottom. So far, it hold pretty strong. I am happy.

The bad things? I broke one of the plastic hook belonged to the side back rest so on the other side, I use the screwdriver and hammer to take it out. It is problematic like the DIY owners wrote. I'll probably take the picture and post here once I get the epoxy to fix that piece. I am happy and sad at the same time.

Last edited by kbook; 01-16-2011 at 03:06 PM. Reason: pictures added
Old 08-24-2011
Registered!!

HoyAllan is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey, I was wondering if you can change the broken link pictures in the DIY.
I got pretty confused after i took out the bolt from the side-back rests and it feels like im gonna break the plastic thing holding it.

Anyhow, PLEASE update the pictures, it would help alot
Thanks!

Quick Reply: DIY Sedan Rear Speaker Install