I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

how to widen/cut speakers hole on door?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
joey_kev is an unknown quantity at this point
how to widen/cut speakers hole on door?

i got a civic sedan 2002, i'm trying to fit a 7" midbass on the door but the speaker hole is incredibly small... I was really surprised when the door trim were off, the hole is much smaller than most of the cars I've seen

even the back of the magnet does not fit into the hole

is there anyway to widen/cut them? what tools do I need?
even better, if anyone has tutorial with pretty pics that would be great
Old 07-20-2006
Registered!!

Nasdurus is an unknown quantity at this point
Not really a whole lot special you can do. Measure the whole and cut it. Airsaw or air hammer would be the fastest and easiest way. Taking into account you don't have air tools, a recip saw should work out as long as you have a blade to cut metal. I'd make sure the depth of the speaker fits before the hole is cut.
Also check the door trim panel. Say you cut your hole and mount your speaker in it. Go to put your trim panel back on and the panel doesn't fit over your new widdened hole as your speaker sits too far out and the trim can't fit flush with the door. Or worse the panel clips down on the speaker damageing it. Goodluck
Old 07-20-2006
Registered!!

James77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Instead of cutting your door you could also install an MDF spacer. You will most likely need a spacer anyway depending on the mounting depth of your speakers.
Old 07-21-2006
Registered!!

jbirn is an unknown quantity at this point
I put 6.5" Infinity Kappas in my doors and it took quite a lot of work. I bought some 2" spacers that I had to cut down to just over an inch in order to get things to fit properly. After getting the speakers mounted the panel didn't quite fit on properly so I had to cut down some of the plastic on the speaker area of the panel. It's quite rigged but it was worth it. I just don't think Honda wanted us to have aftermarket speakers.
Old 07-21-2006
Electric Boogaloo...

PopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to behold
Rotozip or dremel is the easiest way, and it won't leave burrs like a saw or airchisel/hammer would. The way it turns, it leaves a fairly smooth surface, and edge. You'll still need a spacer/baffle unless it's super shallow. Easily made from a piece of scrap MDF.