I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

no more optima yellow for the honda civic?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
D17thgen has a spectacular aura aboutD17thgen has a spectacular aura aboutD17thgen has a spectacular aura about
no more optima yellow for the honda civic?

i emailed optima batteries regarding which group size and where i can purchase an optima yellow top for my 03 civic coupe and their response was:

"For your application of a 2003 Honda Civic, our Yellowtop D51R would be the
correct battery.. Unfortunately we are currently in the process of
redesigning the equipment that produces the 51 models.. We currently do not
have any alternate batteries that can replace the 51 models for most Honda
applications.. At this time we are unsure as to when or if we will be
bringing them back in production.. We do apologize for any inconvenience."

it sounds like optima wont be making anymore optima yellows in D51R thats most honda civics size. i tried calling sears, autozone, pepboys, and kragen all over my area and none carry this size.

what battery would you recommend and why that i look into for my 03 honda civic ex that will be a direct fit and perform just as great as the optima yellow? the car is daily driven and i have a lot of stereo equipment. im looking to give my electrical system a better & stronger source overall and get rid of my light dims.
Old 07-01-2006
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
good. they're finally fixing them. mine went dead in a year. i got an autocraft silver battery from advance for $55 and it works tons better than the optima ever did. and it has 2 yr free replacement. honestly, a battery is a battery. you take care of it, it takes care of you.

battery care:

1. keep the top clean
2. keep the terminals clean, use dielectric grease
3. drive car 15-20 miles every time after starting, to recharge battery. freeway works great.
4. dont drain the battery with the car off, it will never fully recharge.
5. check the electrolyte levels every so often.
6. heat kills batteries, so try to keep it cool.
Old 07-01-2006
Don't be a n00b, search ftw

01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future
I used a group 56 battery in my car. All I had to do was take off a clip for the positive terminal wire so it would reach farther. And bend the tie-down slightly. At least in Everstart (Wal-Mart) batteries, the group 56 had more power and was cheaper then any group 51 battery made. Less warranty but oh well. Lot smaller then a group 51 battery
Old 07-01-2006
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
heres my g51r

Old 07-01-2006
Premium Member

shmik1 has disabled reputation
^^^ my sam's club battery looks the same too, 2yr full replacement, and 4yr pro rated. (I also previously had an optima)

if you want an upgraded battery look at the Exide one MegaHurtz has..
Old 07-01-2006
Registered!!

D17thgen has a spectacular aura aboutD17thgen has a spectacular aura aboutD17thgen has a spectacular aura about
very clean engine bay you got their gearbox.

aside from optima, which battery would you recommend for my needs? im looking to buy locally for convience and warranty
Old 07-01-2006
New Mod on the Block

Rennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond repute
just get a cheap walmart battery with a replacement plan bro. optimas suck ***.
Old 07-01-2006
Premium Member

ya really any battery is fine. a normal battery should last at least 2 yrs no problem, and thats already worth $50. they say you should replace it every 3 yrs whether or not its bad.
Old 07-01-2006
Registered!!

Civicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of light
i am just going to get a optima because my parents know someone that owns a shop so i get it cheaper then an off brand battery.
Old 07-01-2006
Premium Member

shmik1 has disabled reputation
^^ report back in one year
Old 07-02-2006
Slowest 7thgen in the GTA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
phuviano has a spectacular aura aboutphuviano has a spectacular aura about
I've had my optima for almost 2 years now. I've had no problems so far. I've had it start in -40C weather (windchill factor included), but without the windchill factor, it was still probably -25 Celsius. I remember that day clearly. My temperature gauge was moving down if I didn't step on the gas. This is the only time I've ever seen a temperature gauge in a car go down.

I've heard many complaints about optima's on this board, but I've never had an issue. My car always starts regardless of weather, or usage. Just be smart and don't use your stereo when the car is off. I also heard you can use the group 34 battery (I think it was that one). Its bigger than the group 51 battery, and it has more CCA.
Old 07-02-2006
Premium Member

haha thats happened here too. i had to keep it in d3 or the car would never warm up and actually it would go back down at idle.
Old 07-03-2006
Registered!!

is their some sort of website that shows what makes a good battery for stereo needs?

i dont know too much about CCA, gel cells, or what makes a good battery like the optima yellow. i dont want to end up buying some duralast at walmart and find out it has the same CCA/specs as my OEM battery
Old 07-03-2006
Registered!!

buckshizzo is a jewel in the roughbuckshizzo is a jewel in the roughbuckshizzo is a jewel in the rough
optima yellow top batteries are deep cycle batteries designed to take the abuse of a sound system and manufactured by Johnson Control. Johnson Control also makes Sears' diehard batteries, so go by a diehard battery at sears, warranty is really good, and phuviano a group 34 battery(dodge battery) won't fit. You might be talking about a group 56 battery, that's closest to our size.
Old 07-03-2006
Don't be a n00b, search ftw

01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future
Johnson controls also makes the Wal-Mart brand Everstart batteries. Hmm, Seems like Johnson controls makes a lot of batteries for a lot of people
Old 07-03-2006
Slowest 7thgen in the GTA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
phuviano has a spectacular aura aboutphuviano has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by buckshizzo
phuviano a group 34 battery(dodge battery) won't fit. You might be talking about a group 56 battery, that's closest to our size.
Read this, and tell me what you think??

Second page, third post (Telly's post)

http://www.7thgencivic.com/forums/sh...ellow+top+size

He said he got a D34 yellow top in there.
Old 07-03-2006
Premium Member

tinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nice
Originally Posted by gearbox
heres my g51r

Oh crap!! Can you come over here and clean MY engine bay??

My Group 51 optima is getting sluggish after 2 years, while my normal ones are going strong after 5 now. I wonder if the group 51 was flawed, being the reason for a re-design? Though I do abuse the batteries to no end. I drive so little now that the cars may sit for weeks between starts. I killed standard batteries in months.
Old 07-03-2006
Premium Member

cca = cold cranking amps. a higher number means easier starts (for colder weather especially). reserve is how much battery power you have til it goes dead i believe.

and ya if you let a regular battery sit for two weeks, you need to drive it 30 mins on the freeway to recharge it. if more than 2 weeks, well the battery might not work anymore.
Old 07-04-2006
Registered!!

whats an good alternative battery than the optima yellow?

im looking for dual starting and deep cycle purposes. my OEM battery is fine but will those diehards at sears really benefit me for my stereo system (light dimming, reducing strain on electricals, etc)? they seem to work exactly like the OEM battery...for starting purposes only.
Old 07-04-2006
Registered!!

lxcivic2k1 is a jewel in the roughlxcivic2k1 is a jewel in the roughlxcivic2k1 is a jewel in the roughlxcivic2k1 is a jewel in the rough
I have a yellow top in my civic and its working fine for me and I've been pounding my system on it. Still fine. I also have a red top in my old car thats does nothing but sit....the old battery died in like November I think, so my dad got the optima and it just sat there until I needed it when my civic went to Dent Express for hail, and it started up perfectly after sitting for about 6 months and not being used......so optima really does work.
Old 07-04-2006
Registered!!

CivicManDan is an unknown quantity at this point
some yellow tops have been reported to work fine. rumor has it the 51 series was just over all poor. i had purchased one, and it died in one year. you may luck out, but when they sold out, thats it. i purchased an energizer battery from pep boys. great battery.
Old 07-04-2006
420 Member

BlackKnight008 has a spectacular aura aboutBlackKnight008 has a spectacular aura aboutBlackKnight008 has a spectacular aura about
they are right

I guess they just stopped making them? I bought one not more then a week ago and it is working great so far. I have heard they can be bad bateries because they are not lead based but I didn't buy it for its life length and whoever said that they are designed to take a beating from a sound system is right
Old 07-05-2006
Electric Boogaloo...

PopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to behold
There really is no need for buying a group 51 battery. The standard sized battery fits perfectly fine. The only thing you have to do is remove the cheesy plastic battery slip on cover, which if you're buying an optima, I'm guessing you're wanting to showcase it in your bay anyway. As for the problems with the batteries, I never once had a problem with the Optima when I owned the civic (it's still in there as a matter of fact, for over 3 years, as the gf's sister bought the car from me). I put a standard sized red top in there. Some alternatives are the Exide 34C (this is what Megahurtz ran last I checked. I've been on vacation for a while though, so who knows?) There are others, but that's the first that comes to mind. Still, I loved my red top, and the standard sized offered a tad more CCA's than the group 51 size when I bought the one I had.
Old 07-05-2006
Premium Member

i think this is a problem with the group 51 because alot of us are having issues. i like my battery trim and the grp51 was cheap, so i got it. idk why a bigger battery is necessary unless you really need the extra cca.
Old 07-07-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by PopcornPlaya
There really is no need for buying a group 51 battery. The standard sized battery fits perfectly fine. The only thing you have to do is remove the cheesy plastic battery slip on cover, which if you're buying an optima, I'm guessing you're wanting to showcase it in your bay anyway. As for the problems with the batteries, I never once had a problem with the Optima when I owned the civic (it's still in there as a matter of fact, for over 3 years, as the gf's sister bought the car from me). I put a standard sized red top in there. Some alternatives are the Exide 34C (this is what Megahurtz ran last I checked. I've been on vacation for a while though, so who knows?) There are others, but that's the first that comes to mind. Still, I loved my red top, and the standard sized offered a tad more CCA's than the group 51 size when I bought the one I had.

do you think the optima D34/78 will fit in the 7thgen engine bay if i remove the plastic tray and a little bending of the battery tie down latch? pepboys had one left over in stock so i bought it and wanted to see if it'll fit...if not, they said i can return it and get full refund

lmk if theirs any pics or special tools needed to fit an 34/78 in the 7thgen bay

heres the link: http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/subca...=optima+yellow
Old 07-07-2006
Life Begins > 6800rpms

blouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to behold
go redtop if you need to go for optima, if you live in severe cold or heat. any normal battery should do just fine.
Old 07-07-2006
Electric Boogaloo...

PopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by D17thgen
do you think the optima D34/78 will fit in the 7thgen engine bay if i remove the plastic tray and a little bending of the battery tie down latch? pepboys had one left over in stock so i bought it and wanted to see if it'll fit...if not, they said i can return it and get full refund

lmk if theirs any pics or special tools needed to fit an 34/78 in the 7thgen bay

heres the link: http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/subca...=optima+yellow

I'm not sure what the standard battery size is (ie I can't remember the number) but if it's a standard battery that will fit in pretty much any standard opening, it should fit fine with no modification to the battery tie down bolt. There are no special tools though. Just a little elbow grease.

And they won't refund it if you hook it up, just a warning. They might tell you they will, but unless you know an employee there, they will not give you your full refund.
Old 07-07-2006
420 Member

BlackKnight008 has a spectacular aura aboutBlackKnight008 has a spectacular aura aboutBlackKnight008 has a spectacular aura about
There are still optima batteries around, I just saw like 5 more at costco
Old 07-08-2006
Registered!!

Update

update:

standard optima yellow top battery size is the group D34/78 (or just group 34...which is exactly the same but without the side terminal posts). $180 +tax at pepboys or autozone.

i installed the D34/78 optima yellow into an 03 civic coupe automatic with some slack and i would say its close to direct fit. i was able to keep my bottom plastic tray which is good. however, the optima yellow D34/78 was wider and longer overall so it was kind of sitting on the edges of the bottom plastic tray...nothing serious. as for the tie down latch, i used up all the threads and still had space inbetween. the battery tie down that connects to the chassis of the car frame was a piece of cake. what i did was pull the tie down and forced it to fit the bolt back on. the tie down bar will touch against the plastic top of the battery (which optima doesnt recommend you do for i dont know what reason). everything turned out to be a super snug fit and works fine so far

i can take pics of the finished install per request
Old 07-09-2006
Electric Boogaloo...

The red top is about 92 bucks at autozone. Should be plenty of battery.

Quick Reply: no more optima yellow for the honda civic?