I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Interior dash lights and parking lights (Engine fuse #2) keeps blowing?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kdogg123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Interior dash lights and parking lights (Engine fuse #2) keeps blowing?

2001 Civic LX sedan. I had a DEI remote starter on the car since we picked it up. No problems. Finally had the recall switch done on the car a few weeks ago. A few days later, the interior dash lights go out as well as the parking lights. After searching this site (since the manual doesn't tell you), I figured out the engine fuse box #2 and #7 are for the parking lights. All interior fuses were OK. Engine fuse #2 was blown, so I replace and turn the lights on and pop.

So I go back to the dealer and blame them. Fart around and finally get it up there a week later. They blame the remote starter is the problem. They can't troubleshoot the problem until they take it out. They mention both contacts of the #2 fuse spot has power which is causing the fuse to blow.

So I told them I'll take to Circuit City to have them take the remote starter out for free. I'd hate to throw away $200 to get the lights to work. Anybody have similar issues or any ideas how I can isolate the bad circuit?
Old 03-23-2005
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

7thGENDMAN is on a distinguished road
I had the same problem when Honda did my recall. The first place I would check would be opening up the steering column cover again, To access the switch. Look under the steering column where the bolts hold the plastic in. On my car they pinched a wire putting the cover back on and it kept frying fuses everytime I turned on my blinkers. Check there first and make sure they didn't pinch any wires. They tried telling me that it was who ever put in my alarm too, but I had my alarm for three years before I had the recall done and it didn't start happening till after the recall. Then they confest it was something they did after I asked for the manager. Don't let Honda take advantage of you. We probably know more about our cars here on this site then most Honda mechanics do. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Old 03-23-2005
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04civicvp is an unknown quantity at this point
Plain and simple, like 7thgendman said, if the remote start wasn't causing a problem before Honda worked on the car, then it can't be causing it now unless Honda messed with it. Seeing as they say both sides of the fuse have power, it definitely sounds like they pinched a couple of wires.
Old 03-28-2005
Registered!!

kdogg123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Alarm help?

Well, I took apart my steering column cover. I didn't notice any wires pinched. I basically pushed some of the wires around to sort of separate them. I put in a new fuse, and it blew again. I did notice a wire coming from the remote starter module which appeared cut (twisted white wire). I'm assuming the service guy saw some wires attached to the headlight switch and just cut it.

So, I would need some help from alarm/remote starter experts. Can anyone direct me to a website where I can get installations instructions or wire diagram for DEI 552T remote starter? I guess my problem has to do with that white wire. I also noticed a brown wire from the key transponder box which was cut too. I'd like to know what that's for.

Thanks in advance...
Old 03-28-2005
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
If they just replaced the switch only, the wiring should be the same and you may be able to look at where the wires came from (that were cut)