I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

DIY: Installing Rear Speakers in a Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to all
Re: DIY: Installing Rear Speakers in a Sedan

That depends on the top height. I have sony in the rear, and polk db650 in the front. Did he say it wouldnt fit with a spacer?
Old 01-31-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
decktard is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a quick question about spacers for the rear 6.5's. Are they necessary? Would it be possible to just drill new holes for the new after market speakers? I'd like to avoid spending the extra money on adapter plate if there is an easy way to mount the speakers without them.
Old 01-31-2008
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to all

The adapter plates are pretty damn cheap....
Old 01-31-2008
Registered!!

decktard is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ryox82
The adapter plates are pretty damn cheap....
I haven't looked around that much but Crutchfield prices them at $20+. If I look around and can find them for $5ish that is acceptable... but why pay extra money for something I don't need if I get the right sized speaker?

Where did you find them cheap?

Last edited by decktard; 01-31-2008 at 11:36 AM.
Old 03-08-2008
Registered!!

chavalo89 is an unknown quantity at this point

I just made new holes through the rear deck. It's kinda tricky though, the drill hits the window for the back holes. I had to use some drill adapter to get all the screws in.
I suggest you sound deaden it also.
Old 02-07-2011
Registered!!

Taps559 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a 03 civic hybrid, im wanting to change the back speakers and I would like to know an easy way to take off the back panel that covers the back speakers. I've looked around on the net on a how too but I have had no luck.
Old 04-15-2011
Registered!!

Civiccc2K1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Could someone pleasee post a picture of the trim and what you should remove in Step 4? I got up to that step but i dont know what the OP is talking about.
Old 08-25-2015
Registered!!

redcloud is an unknown quantity at this point

I just did mine, and the removal of all the side panels is a must, unfortunately. But they just pull right off. You feel like you must be breaking them, but that's just the way they work. They have to be bludgeoned back into place again, too. It's all very brutal.

You could easily remove the rear deck without removing the rear seat, and certainly leave the seat backs in and folded down. That's what I did.

Don't forget to undo the rear window defroster connections on each side BEFORE you pull out the deck, AND the upper brake light connector underneath. ALSO, the plastic seat lock flange, surrounding the place where you insert your key to fold down the seatbacks, has to be pried off.

The deck is held on with 8-10 of those white plastic push-through button clips. I struggled with them from inside the cabin, until it occurred to me to eyeball the whole thing from below.

So, if you crawl in the trunk (with the rear seatbacks down), you can see everything. The buttons are a lot easier to release from below, and can be pushed through the metal with a flat object (putty knife, panel popper, etc). That way you won't wreck your arm skin trying to get it under the deck to push up to release the buttons, or have some hard-to-reach corner still stuck by a button, and you'll be less likely to lose or break one of the buttons.

The deck has to be pulled toward the front of the car at the same time it is being pulled up to get it out. Mind the little clips for the defogger. Break one of those, and it's PITA time.

You'll need a ratchet with socket holding a phillips head screwdriver point (or a right angle screw driver) to loosen the speaker hold-down screw nearest the rear window. Mine's a sedan, so the speakers are 6.5 round, with the rear screw dangerously close to the back glass. Of course, with an interdimensional screwdriver you can just go through the rear window directly from outside.

After the speakers are out or replaced, instead of struggling to line up those 8-10 white buttons to slap the panel back into place from above, without being able to see if they are lined up with their holes, get back in the trunk and you can see where they are in relation to the holes and visually align them.

Have a friend do the in-cabin slapping down of the deck panel when you tell them they're lined up, or reach over the lip of the deck (with the seatbacks down, naturally) and slap down the first few that way. It helps to clip the leading edge of the deck panel back into place on the metal front edge of the deck support as a reference for the buttons to line up from.

I was just removing my rear deck speakers entirely, and had to use lateral pressure on the underside of the speaker grills to get some of the buttons to line up before they would go back in.

So, while it's not a piece of cake, it did only take a couple of hours, and some of that was from an overabundance of caution.

Cheers! Don't break it!

Red

Last edited by redcloud; 08-25-2015 at 01:15 AM.