I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Sound Cuts off But CD still Plays

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shamihundal is an unknown quantity at this point
Sound Cuts off But CD still Plays

Sorry for the long post, but please read and help if you can

Hi I have a 01 honda civic sedan. I have a pioneer DEH-P4600MP deck that supplies 50x4W peak. This deck worked perfect with my 4 stock 6-1/2", but I wanted better sound so I got 4 pioneer TS-A1680R 6.5" 4-Way Speakers from Etronics.com (very cheap site try it out ). I took out all of my speakers and installed the back two first. It started to get late so I stopped there and said I would wait till the next day to install the front two. So while going home I play the speakers and they sound great. I love the sound. I put the loundness up and the spl up and again it sounded great.

So the next day comes around and I put in the other two. Easy as usual. I play the whole step up and it sound just like I wanted it to and thought it would. A day passes and while driving with my friends to go eat I start hearing cracking sounds here and there and later on the sound stragely cuts off. I didn't know what to think. I thought maybe it was a bump I went over and the cd was skipping. I looked at the deck and the cd was still playing. I turned the car off to go eat and when we came back the sound started to work.

So to make a long story not too long I found out that if I put the fader to the back I can turn the volume all the way up. If I put the fader to the middle I cant turn the volume higher that 20 out of 50 and loundness needs to be off w/ spl at 0. If I do I start to hear the cracking and I know that the sound is about to stop. And if I put the fader to the front it does the same thing, but I can put hte volume a little higher.

What could be the problem. The ones that I have thought of are that maybe I wired the front two speakers backwards. Or maybe I need a amp to help power the speakers. Again any help will be apprieciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-14-2004
Registered!!

Also I was reading about something that said that you should tighten the speakers too tight, which I did do. I tighten them and the outer rim bent a little on both. Is this bad?

I also read that if the hu ground is bad then this also could be the problem of the sound cutting off. Could this be it?

Last edited by Shamihundal; 12-14-2004 at 06:43 PM. Reason: lengthen
Old 12-14-2004
The Nightraid crew - Sensible Ownage

evilone is a jewel in the roughevilone is a jewel in the roughevilone is a jewel in the roughevilone is a jewel in the rough
the ground could be, and most likely is, your problem. That or you've got wires touching....you chopped the stock wires, right? After that, did you tape the connection or crimp it?
Old 12-14-2004

alex053 will become famous soon enough
you can install speaker to tight. if you over tighten them, the basket can be warped and cause the coil to be out of alignment. check the impedence of your front speakers...there could be a short with one of them, that would cause them to cut out as volume goes up....the more the speaker moves and more voltage could cause it short out and send your deck to protect.
Old 12-15-2004
Registered!!
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

vipergtsr should not be trustedvipergtsr should not be trustedvipergtsr should not be trustedvipergtsr should not be trusted
Sounds to me like it could be a blown speaker. In my experience, people with pioneer decks tend to blow speakers alot. The loudness and SPL adds un-needed distortion it gets really bad at high volumes. I would do what Alex053 said and check the impedence (ohms) of each speaker. Car auido speakers should be close to 4 ohms on a meter. If there is much less or much more the speaker is the problem. After this I would check to make sure that the connection from the stock wire to the speaker is good. Make sure that it is not touching anything else. It needs to be insulated with either a crimp connector or electrical tape. The next thing I would do is pull your door pannels off and turn the volume up to where it cuts off, look at the right and left speakers to see if there is any visible reason why they would be cutting out and crackleing. Then I would check the ground. I don't think that this is the problem. But hey it could be.
Old 12-16-2004
Registered!!

coo thx for all the replies. The car is in the shop right now for some maintaince. After I get the car back I will look at it.

Also could it be that I might need a extra amp for the speakers? Just a thought.
Old 12-17-2004
Registered!!
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

vipergtsr should not be trustedvipergtsr should not be trustedvipergtsr should not be trustedvipergtsr should not be trusted
Originally Posted by Shamihundal
coo thx for all the replies. The car is in the shop right now for some maintaince. After I get the car back I will look at it.

Also could it be that I might need a extra amp for the speakers? Just a thought.
Weather or not you need an amp, is not related to why your sound cuts out. Reguardless if there is not enough power in your system for you, your headunit woud still work continuiously if all wiring and equipment were in good shape. Something is causing a short. Look into all the things that we suggested. Adding an amp will not fix your problem. It will put the amp in protect mode also.
Old 12-17-2004
Yes, it's an Acura EL

TeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to all
Likely a bad ground or shorted wiring (ie wires in the harness not taped/heatshrunk over, thus touching chassis metal or each other). I had this problem, turned out my dome light fuse was killed. As soon as I replaced it, normal function....weird, no?