I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

**FINISHED** HU relocation

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2004
Electric Boogaloo...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to behold
I'm not answering for him, but there are classes that teach you how to glass. This isn't really glassing, more of mixing fiber reinforced bondo and the hardner. Fiberglassing is a learned/acquired skill. You can teach yourself, as I did, playing with mixtures of resin and hardner, different mats, raw glass, etc. It's not tough to learn, but you need to practice alot before jumping right in there and running with it.
Old 12-04-2004

J187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of light
I tought myself to glass as well. As far the whole thing in general which I'll refer to as fabrication, aside from the classes that Pop mentioned, the places you learn are right here in forums like this, books, articles, and good ol' fashioned hands-on experience. Sometimes the toughest part is deciding what to use for the fabrication. Should I glass, bondo, bondoglass? Should I use wood, acrylic, plexi, foam? Should I paint, vinyl, carpet? etc, etc, etc. Playing around is really the best way but take some time and figure out what is you expect from it before you start. Don't go to auto store, grab some bondo and mix it up and start spreading on something. Do some research and figure out what types of materials there are and what each does. Learn some properties, some pros and cons, and get a good idea of how everything works. For instance, you'll wanna know things like what bonds to what, what sands easier, what's stronger, lighter, etc. Once you've got a good base of knowledge, then start experimenting to see exactly how it all plays out. Soon, you'll be fabricating too. My best two pieces of advice for anyone starting out are as follows:

1. Don't just look at it and say, "too hard for me" and never try it out.
2. Stay in the planning stages until you literally have to move on to the actual implementation because you've exhausted all possible thought and care.

The planning stage is far and away the most important thing you do. You've got to consider everything from every angle. Catching a potential problem early is worth every ounce of effort you put into planning. It sucks getting halfway through the actual design stage before realizing that something isn't going to work and then you say, ****! I wish I thought about that before. . .
Old 12-05-2004
Registered!!

rpCiVicEx is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks a lot. I'll check around for some more info. Thanks.
Old 12-05-2004
Registered!!

grenloch101056 is an unknown quantity at this point
www.the12volt.com has a fiberglass and interior forum. The people there are excellent, and they have a ton of informtion to look through and learn about.
Old 12-05-2004

J187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of light
http://web.njit.edu/~cas1383/proj/main/

Those are good too.
Old 12-05-2004
Registered!!

WhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of light
also, I wouldnt start with a project like this one as a first one. you totally can, and many do, but I personally think you learn much more and do better work starting with larger projects, subwoofer boxes, midbass boxes, kickpanels, where very fine detail is less a factor.

playing around is a great way to learn, if you dont even want to read up much on this stuff you dont have to, learn all by just messing around. youll have more failures as I did, but you might learn volumes from the failures.

besides, its just too much fun
Old 12-05-2004

Good advice to start larger. It's less frustrating as well. One thing to do if You've got subs is to crank out a custom enclosure for your trunks for your subs. THen after you're done, if you dont' need it or have more than one throw it up on ebay. As long as you're straight forward with what specs it was built to you'll sell it.
Old 12-06-2004
Registered!!

Alright thanks, well when I bought my subs (off ebay) lol they came with a box..but I'll deffinately do somethign I wouldn't mind screwing up a little
Old 12-06-2004
Registered!!

WhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of light
or a lot. I had no idea what I was doing my first time and had to throw it away when I was done with it. miserable failure.
Old 12-06-2004
Electric Boogaloo...

PopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by rpCiVicEx
Alright thanks, well when I bought my subs (off ebay) lol they came with a box..but I'll deffinately do somethign I wouldn't mind screwing up a little
Might I recommend startingout doing a false floor using the spare well, as this is a good, yet easy, starter project.
Old 12-06-2004
Registered!!

Originally Posted by PopcornPlaya
Might I recommend startingout doing a false floor using the spare well, as this is a good, yet easy, starter project.

Yeah I was thinking somethign lie that, but I still use my trunk for baseball. Maybe a plexi covering?
Old 12-06-2004
Registered!!

well, what the 7th gen false floor suggests is to cut out your floor shape, then cut a 12 inch hole in that to fit a subwoofer.

what they SHOULD reccommend, is to cut a 12 inch hole in a board, but not to worry if its yoru trunk shape or not. then you border that board on all sides with 1x3's, and but a board on top of THAT thats cut out to the shape of your trunk. the area bordered by 1x3's will contain your amplifiers and subwoofers.

plexi is cool for a cover, but I prefer a carpeted board. its much more durable, I dont have to worry about scratching. stealthier too.

then I can just open the trunk and toss any garbage in there, and the subwofoers are protected, yet I have full play capability.

and like pop said, its a piece of cake to build, compared to many projects out there. Not the easiest, but its easy. and anything easier isnt even remotely as cool.
Old 12-07-2004
Registered!!

Alright sounds good, now do any of you know if it will pass inspection without a spare tire in the turnk, in PA I should probably at.
Old 12-07-2004
Electric Boogaloo...

Relocate the spare under the car. Not too hard to do, and there is a DIY on here somewhere. if you don't want to do that, you can do like I did one time, and put it in a big **** garbage bag and put it in the back seat.(yes twas quite funny among my friends...)
Old 12-07-2004
Registered!!

darklegacy540 is on a distinguished road
^I'm sure I'd be one of those people laughing too.. but whatever works for ya man haha
Old 12-09-2004

Newest progress

Sanded and fitted.

Old 12-09-2004
Registered!!

craiger will become famous soon enoughcraiger will become famous soon enough
Looking good!!
Old 12-09-2004
Registered!!

kickercivic1 is an unknown quantity at this point
i can wait to seee the end result
Old 12-09-2004
I need TP for my bunghole

PunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud of
looks good
Old 12-09-2004
Registered!!

darklegacy540 is on a distinguished road
Oooooo looking prettier and prettier
Old 12-09-2004
Registered!!

that looks good man, thanks for the info..I'll start a thread when I'm brave enough to start fiberglassing..thanks again popcornplayer and j187
Old 12-09-2004
Registered!!

nunzio42 is an unknown quantity at this point
aight so doing this u lose your cup holders right? i am thinking about doing this and then placeing a screen above, but doing everything in pieces.....btw whats going on top? also.....how far does this stick out? a lot or just enough for the door not to go up?

also cutting the reenforcement out, could u snap a picture of waht it looks like now....just curious......how many days u been working on this? thanks!
Old 12-10-2004
Electric Boogaloo...

The way he did it, he only loses the cup holders (I believe) when the face is flipped open.
Old 12-10-2004

Didn't lose the cupholders at all. The whole idea behind cutting the brackets out of the dash was to get this thing in there as far as possible so I didn't lose my cupholders. I drink coffee like its my job, I wasn't about to hold my Dunkis while I shift my car AND play with my radio . . . . It doesn't stick out very far at all. I can open the door to the cupholders about 80% of the way but I've been thinking about cutting some round holes in the top of the door so I can keep it closed all the time - I like how it looks closed and cups would fit a little better.
Old 12-10-2004
Registered!!

u putting a screen up above? or something else?
Old 12-10-2004
Registered!!

also could u post some pics of the cage after being cut? thanks
Old 12-10-2004

Screen? Yes. It's for an in-car computer. A 7" touch-screen liliput will go up top. Pics of cage? You mean the bracket behind the dash I cut? If so, hell no I won't post any pics - It's a rough cut, ugly as hell. Just kidding, I will post em if you want, but it certainly aint pretty. But who cars, I managed to ram a headunit far enough in there so I don't lose my beloved beverage holders.
Old 12-10-2004
Registered!!

if you don't mind, post some pics of the cup holder area

btw, are you any further on the relocated HU?
Old 12-10-2004
Registered!!

yah i would love to see how the bracket turned out cause i am thinking about doing the same and i want to know that i didnt mess it up toobad, (i am bound to f*ck it up worse than anyone else here)

also question for yah, aight say u have a dvd playing unit from a major company pioneer, panosonic, sony, clarion, rf, ext. if u were to get a touch screen how could u add the touch function to the unit? or could you? just wondering cause thats going to decided what screen i go with. thanks.

also if u have installed the screen i would be interested in seeing that too, how are you going to mount it? re-sessed (sp?) in the center area ot simply flat flush with the panel. thanks i look forward to all the new pics. when ur done u could make a tight a$$ diy
Old 12-11-2004

1. I'll post pics as soon as I get a chance of the bracket.
2. I don't see any way to hook up touch-screen capability to a DVD unit
3. I haven't even purchased the screen yet.

Quick Reply: **FINISHED** HU relocation